Author Topic: 'British much more intelligent and civilized than the Americans'...  (Read 9050 times)

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
Re: 'British much more intelligent and civilized than the Americans'...
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2006, 01:46:52 PM »
and sometimes declarations of love.

but...but...
I really do love Michelle Malkin!
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Cromlech

• friend
  • English bloke
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2006, 02:53:35 PM »
I think that some of you guys need to curl up in the corner with your Teddy Bears, and have a good cry, judging by how bad you are taking this.

It's Gwyneth Paltrow for the love of fluffy Kittens, a woman who named her child 'Apple'. Do not take her seriously.
When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

Cosmoline

• friend
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2006, 03:13:27 PM »
Who?

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2006, 04:00:31 PM »
Folks around here have a low tolerance for elitism, especially when it comes from as people as utterly worthless as Gwyneth "Madona's My Hero" Paltrow.

griz

• friend
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2006, 02:47:17 AM »
It's ironic that she thinks people in the US are too worried about money, yet the only resident she mentions by name is one who was born in the US and made her fortune here as a "material girl".  laugh
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

Chris

« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2006, 05:38:08 AM »
While I can respect the ability of an actor to perform a part, such as Tom Hanks, I never forget that they are being paid (incredible sums) to essentially read and recite what someone else has written.  It's not as if these people are stading in front of a camera making it all up.  I have more respect for stage actors, as they don't have the benefit of another take to get things right.

So she finds the Brits to me more intelligent than Americans?  Who cares?

HankB

• friend
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2006, 07:49:28 AM »
The vacuous musings of a blonde actress who names her child "Apple," admires Madonna, and regards the Brits as ". . . much more intelligent and civilized than the Americans . . . " are not to be taken seriously. (Note that she also has contributed thousands of dollars to John Kerry, Emily's List, and the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee.)  rolleyes

In some celebrity circles, it's quite the fad to badmouth the USA and move overseas . . . Garrison Keillor did so when, with much fanfare, he moved to Sweden some years ago . . . only to come slinking back with his tail between his legs after learning some things about Swedish taxes.  shocked

But I'll wager that if one were to take a look at migration patters, you'd find far more Brits moving to the USA, rather than Yanks moving over there. People voting with their feet as to which is a better place to live . . .

(Obligatory Brit bashing: Today's Limeys are the descendants of a powerful island nation that once conquered half the world, but has yet to master central heating, gourmet cooking, or modern dentistry.)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2006, 08:27:52 AM »
Anyone who takes advice from Madonna...

Sheesh.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Desertdog

• friends
Gywneth's 'Brits are more civilised' comment angers the folks back home
« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2006, 11:29:15 AM »
I'd love to get a few minutes of hidden mike talk from her, and her friends, to see just how much more 'intelligent and civilized than the Americans' their conversations are.

Gywneth's 'Brits are more civilised' comment angers the folks back home
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/showbiz/showbiznews.html?in_article_id=420285&in_page_id=1766&ito=1490

Once she complained about the British weather. Another time she complained about British men.

But it seems American actress Gwyneth Paltrow is finally warming to life in London.

She says dinner party chat here is far more interesting, intelligent and civilised than back at home.

It's a declaration that has gone down rather badly in America. The 34-year-old Oscar winner, who has lived in London since marrying Coldplay frontman Chris Martin three years ago, said: 'I love the English lifestyle, it's not as capitalistic as America.

'People dont talk about workand money, they talk about interesting things at dinner.

'I like living here because I don't fit into the bad side of American psychology. The British are much more intelligent and civilised than the Americans.'

Last night, as her comments were reported in her homeland, Americans called chat shows and radio phone-ins to express their disgust at her 'betrayal'.

'If she feels that way we are far better off without her,' said one commentator. A disgruntled caller added: 'She sounds like she thinks shes better than us.

'We are better off if she stays across the Atlantic. We don't need her here.'

Miss Paltrow, who once complained at length about the British weather, was speaking to NS, the weekend magazine supplement of daily Portuguese newspaper Diario de Noticias.

She said having another American  Madonna  living in London had been a great help to her. 'She's like an older sister,' said Miss Paltrow.

'Everything I have gone through, she went through ten times worse and ten times longer. She gives me good advice about how to say no and take care of myself.'

Although Miss Paltrow did not specify what she was saying 'no' to, it is known she favours a strict macrobiotic diet.

It means a large proportion of her diet is made up of wholegrains, vegetables and fish, and she is not allowed to consume meat, dairy products, processed foods, alcohol or caffeine.

Miss Paltrow, who was born in Los Angeles, once found fault with British men, but a year later, married Chris Martin.

And two years ago she told the U.S. edition of Marie Claire that the streets of London were dirty, customer service was just rubbish and the weather was 'cold and depressing'.

Despite this, Miss Paltrow and her husband have settled in North London with their daughter Apple, two, and son Moses, eight months. She will be pleased to know that not everyone in America was displeased with her latest comments.

A British expatriate rang in to one programme to say: 'Quite frankly, shes only stating the obvious, as anyone who has spent a long time in the United States can testify.'

Iain

• friend
« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2006, 11:30:56 AM »
I note from the thread about beheading that the littlegreenfootballs comments contained several remarks (rants?) about Paltrow.

What I don't get is that anyone is entitled to ignore her, proclaim her an idiot and all the rest - but the girl can actually act a bit, she does the best British accent of any American actress I can think of. Find it bizarre that not only does her remarks cause vitriol to be spewed at her, the UK and 'celebrity culture', but also at her ability to do the one thing she does well enough to actually be famous for doing.

And judging by the last article posted - people really, really, really take this sort of thing way, way, way too seriously.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

Cromlech

• friend
  • English bloke
« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2006, 01:20:56 PM »
Quote from: HankB
(Obligatory Brit bashing: Today's Limeys are the descendants of a powerful island nation that once conquered half the world, but has yet to master central heating, gourmet cooking, or modern dentistry.)

Yet to master:

Central heating? How did you figure that one out, and can you spare me some of what you have been inhaling?

Gourmet cooking? Define that for me, please. If you mean traditional British food, and you hate it, fine. Come to think of it, what 'Gourmet' dishes that are traditional American ones do you guys have? If you mean fancy international dishes at posh fancy restaurants, then I think that we stack up pretty well against New York City.

Dentistry?  grin I guess I will concede that one, as I have noticed that quite a few of us Brits really are lacking in the oral hygiene area.
When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

wingnutx

• friend
  • Danish Cartoonist
    • http://www.punk-rock.com
« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2006, 01:32:49 PM »
The USA has the world's finest Mexican food, I'll have you know!

Cromlech

• friend
  • English bloke
« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2006, 01:41:29 PM »
 grin

Hahaha, I was wondering if Chilli and other spicy foods would be mentioned. Of course, if you are allowed Mexican food, then we are allowed Indian food.

Mmmmm, curries.

thebaldguy

• friends
« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2006, 01:42:49 PM »
I love how actors with little or no education are sources of important info. She ends up in the same catagory as Bono, Sean Penn, Rosie O' Donnell, etc.

Just because you're famous doesn't mean you're more intelligent than anyone else. Fame does not equal intelligence.

I wish the mainstream media would quit printing what these celebrities have to say. I really don't care what her opinion is no more than she cares about mine.

I have a degree in Political Science. Why doesn't the mainstream media care about what I think?

wingnutx

• friend
  • Danish Cartoonist
    • http://www.punk-rock.com
« Reply #39 on: December 04, 2006, 01:49:07 PM »
Now I'm hungry for tacos.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2006, 04:30:45 AM »
I love how actors with little or no education are sources of important info. She ends up in the same catagory as Bono, Sean Penn, Rosie O' Donnell, etc.

I have a hard time disliking Bono being a fan and all.  Maybe it's just my bias, but I wouldn't put him next to Penn, Paltrow and O'Donnell.  The whole idea that his anti-poverty plan is going to end world hunger is goofy and deluded, but even that doesn't put him in a class with those three.  He's actually trying to do something, after all, not sitting on his high horse and calling Bush names.  Has he said or done some things that I should be aware of? 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Otherguy Overby

• friend
« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2006, 07:21:34 AM »
In current history, the British itelligencia's response to cultural aggression has been appeasement.  If this is the 21st century version of "Danegeld" please explain how the strategy of paying someone not to rob and kill you is rational.

Is there a betting pool on when Sharia law will be enforced in Once Great Britain?
Guns
Motorcycles
Jeeps
Never enough!

Eleven Mike

• friends
  • All your desert are belong to us.
« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2006, 07:29:20 AM »
Please use standard sentence structure your run-on sentence is barely intelligible whether I agree with your point or not you sound uneducated.   cheesyI guess I'm just a little more careful than some. 

Otherguy Overby

• friend
« Reply #43 on: December 05, 2006, 07:45:06 AM »
Please use standard sentence structure your run-on sentence is barely intelligible whether I agree with your point or not you sound uneducated.   cheesy

Didya ever type something out that made sense in your mind but didn't in the first version typed out?  Anyway, I changed what I'd writ quite soon after posting and reading it.  So, since 11M no longer exists:

Note: MOS 11H and MOS 11M have been merged into MOS 11B. In addition to the duties listed below, MOS 11B soldiers now also perform the duties of 11H and 11M.

Requirements:

A minimum score of 90 in aptitude area CO

A physical demands rating of very heavy (must be able to occasionally lift over 100 pounds with frequent or constant lifting in excess of 50 pounds)

Color discrimination of red/green

Correctable vision of 20/20 in one eye; 20/100 in other eye

A minimum score of 90 in aptitude area CO

Formal training (completion of MOS 11B course conducted under the auspices of the USA Infantry School) mandatory

Are you now 11British?
Guns
Motorcycles
Jeeps
Never enough!

Eleven Mike

• friends
  • All your desert are belong to us.
« Reply #44 on: December 05, 2006, 08:06:47 AM »
I am now a civilian.

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #45 on: December 06, 2006, 07:39:40 AM »
Who cares?

Iain

• friend
« Reply #46 on: December 06, 2006, 08:36:58 AM »
Who cares?

Clearly a surprising number of people do. Otherwise the vitriol I've seen posted elsewhere, and this thread, and the people phoning radio shows would never have happened.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #47 on: December 06, 2006, 09:00:46 AM »
This runs deeper than one screwbat actress.  A lot of us are tired of our so-called "elites" insulting us.  Many of us are disgusted with the "intelligentsia" (who display an alarming lack of intelligence) and their incessant need to attack our country and our culture.  Some of us are annoyed with the European penchant for refusing to share in the heavy lifting necessary to keep western civilization alive and secure. 

To be blunt, we've had enough of this *expletive deleted*it.  We're not going to let it slide any more.

Why shouldn't we speak up when we hear from Paltrow and her ilk?  Her popularity as an actress gave her the soapbox she's now abusing, and we who gave her that popularity have a right to take it away from her.

Art Eatman

• friend
« Reply #48 on: December 06, 2006, 03:44:10 PM »
I've only read the first post.

The lady obviously never attended a soccer game in England, or one of the games in Europe between Britons and "others".

Smiley, Art
The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #49 on: December 07, 2006, 09:34:11 AM »
I've only read the first post.

The lady obviously never attended a soccer game in England, or one of the games in Europe between Britons and "others".

Smiley, Art

Well, she can hardly be expected to hobnob with the hoi polloi over there anymore than she can with the ones over here can she?

The ones over there are just more interesting due to their foreignness.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."