Author Topic: Oil vacs for oil changes  (Read 9604 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Oil vacs for oil changes
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2016, 11:03:19 AM »
Friends and I used that method on an old John Deere Model B tractor that had supposedly been garaged in the late 1940s and hadn't been moved again until it was sold to my friend's father around 1981.

When we pulled the oil plug what came out was more like blackstrap molasses. We finally pulled the oil pump cover and let it sit for two days to get most of the old sludge out.

After that it was a mix of motor oil and ATF. Instead of running the risk of scoring the hell out of the cylinder walls by starting it in that condition we hooked up a belt from the flywheel to another tractor and ran it at low speed for about an hour to circulate the mix.

The stuff that came out was quite frightening.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
Re:
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2016, 12:54:01 PM »
Maybe I'll just keep dumping it on your driveway.

At least it keeps the dust down.

I use full synthetic oil in everything and change just the filter at the halfway point.

Full synthetic for me and an oversize filter.  I'm using Fram numbers, but a 3614 filter is called for by my vehicle.  Meanwhile, a 3600 filter is like 50% longer and has double the filter media...

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2016, 01:00:16 PM »
I use Mobil-1 Syn and change oil and filter at the manufacturer's suggested intervals.  The suggested intervals are getting long.  Our 2007 van is roughly 6k and my 2013 Focus is somewhere around 10k.

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2016, 01:44:25 PM »
The Forester's suggested interval is 7,500. I'm right up against that, or a little over.

That's on 0W-20 full synthetic.

Still haven't decided which synthetic I'm going pick as my full-time oil... It's probably going to be either Castrol or Valvoline.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2016, 03:00:41 PM »
Years ago, my friend bought an old Ford Galaxy and the oil was black and dirty. He drained 3 quarts and then put 3-4 quarts of kerosene in it. Started it and ran it until it knocked. Pulled the drain plug and had to use a screwdriver to keep clearing the drain hole. stuff was like black cottage cheese. He swore by his method.

Berryman's works well.  Just don't pour it in a hot crankcase.  The boiling point is quite low, and dumping a pint in while the engine is hot will get an impressive amount right back out the top.

On the "stuff I've drained out" lines, I decided to change the gear oil in a Datsun pickup once after checking it and finding it about the consistency of Jello.  It took some acetone to thin it out enough to come out the drain hole.  Unfortunately, some of the chunks that came out were bearings and their cages.  Right after Cars For Kids came and hauled it off, I found a rebuilt transmission going for $150.  I hate that, as it was a good little truck other than the transmission issues.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2016, 03:11:02 PM »
The Forester's suggested interval is 7,500. I'm right up against that, or a little over.

That's on 0W-20 full synthetic.

Still haven't decided which synthetic I'm going pick as my full-time oil... It's probably going to be either Castrol or Valvoline.

Next time I change my wife's Mazda 6 oil, which is 0W20:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000SKYL9I/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=K6E4LZHHD4BB&coliid=I3TPIG1VMFPJA5&psc=1

$37 for $6.xx/qt plus free two day shipping.  I can't buy it locally for that. 

Also, Mobil 1 filters for $10:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CIT3N0/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=K6E4LZHHD4BB&coliid=IAWDXYYQN76MP&psc=1

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2016, 03:16:26 PM »
Next time I change my wife's Mazda 6 oil, which is 0W20:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000SKYL9I/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=K6E4LZHHD4BB&coliid=I3TPIG1VMFPJA5&psc=1

$37 for $6.xx/qt plus free two day shipping.  I can't buy it locally for that. 

I haven't looked at 0-20, but I just bought 5-20 at Walmart.  A 5qt jug was $23, even at $7/quart, another quart to give you 6 would have been less than the Amazon price for 6 individual quarts.  Is 0-20 that much more expensive?

Chris

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2016, 03:38:52 PM »
I haven't looked at 0-20, but I just bought 5-20 at Walmart.  A 5qt jug was $23, even at $7/quart, another quart to give you 6 would have been less than the Amazon price for 6 individual quarts.  Is 0-20 that much more expensive?

Chris

I could not find Mobil 1 at Walmart in either weight my vehicles required.  Went to 3-4 WMs.  Auto parts stores charge more per quart and, crazily, the bulk 5qt containers were more than the per-quart price for 5 quarts.  Like nearly $10/qt.  Toss in sales tax.  Wife's car requires 0W20 and my truck 5W30. 
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2016, 03:57:28 PM »
Like I said, I didn't pay attention to 0w-20, but 5w-20, 5w-30, 10w-30, 15w-540, etc, were all $23/5qtJug.  Lots on the shelf too.  Odd that they were all tapped out in your locale. 

BTW, I'd like to take this time to say how much I hate when cars use fractions of a quart, especially when it's 4.5 or something, leaving me with a half quart in a big arsed jug.  My van and hatchback both use 4.5qt of the same oil, leaving me to collect half quart bits until I have enough to be useful.

Chris

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2016, 04:17:33 PM »
For those that go to Costco, they have cases of Mobil 1 on sale at $10 off a few times a year. That's usually when I buy it and just store it. Though I've never seen 0wt-20 there, just 5-30 and 10-30.

The 4Runner uses 0wt-20. It's been on Toyota Care until just a few months ago, so this next go round is the first time I'll be doing it on that ride. If I decide to do it instead of taking it in. I guess to make up for having a super easy to change cabin air filter, they decided to make this the procedure for changing the oil filter just to even things out:

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/116417-oil-change-5th-gen-how-lots-pics.html

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2016, 05:42:26 PM »
Like I said, I didn't pay attention to 0w-20, but 5w-20, 5w-30, 10w-30, 15w-540, etc, were all $23/5qtJug.  Lots on the shelf too.  Odd that they were all tapped out in your locale. 

BTW, I'd like to take this time to say how much I hate when cars use fractions of a quart, especially when it's 4.5 or something, leaving me with a half quart in a big arsed jug.  My van and hatchback both use 4.5qt of the same oil, leaving me to collect half quart bits until I have enough to be useful.

Chris

I just run mine a pint low until they need a quart.
"It's good, though..."

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2016, 02:07:05 AM »

Just add it to the cruddy old can of stale gas you leave where thieves are most likely to find it first.  Also handy for soaking thinks like bicycle chains.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2016, 01:28:05 PM »
Next time I use my zero cost bucket sucker I will leave the shopvac on and time it instead of just letting it siphon dry. I'll bet it's pretty damn fast.
I have a 30gL barrel in the barn where I dump all used motor and hydraulic and tranny oil. I take it to a guy that has a waste oil furnace in his shop. We trade it for those few occaisions when I need a hoist or shop tools I don't have.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2016, 07:46:44 AM »
I ordered the Attwood. Good reviews, good price.

Should be here on Friday.

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2016, 01:16:53 PM »
I ordered this oil vac from Amazon Wed, got Thurs:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001445IZ8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The Attwood I looked at did not have enough capacity (5 qt vs 5 3/8qt my truck requires).  The Topsider has an 8qt capacity.

Used it today.  I must say that is quite a nifty deal.  Even though I had my son to roll around under the truck, this made it easier and much less messy.  Still had to send son under to replace the oil filter and got about a half cup of oil in the oil drain pan from that.  Took the waste oil to O'Reilley's.  Just poured it from the Topsider can into their waste oil tank.  No fuss, no muss.

If you did not change the filter, you could do it without anyone thinking you were up to an oil change until they were right up in your grill.

Now I am looking forward to changing the oil in the mowers and edger.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re:
« Reply #40 on: August 13, 2016, 01:41:40 PM »
Got my pump yesterday. Picked up oil and a filter today.

Hotter than hell right now. I'll try the change this evening.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #41 on: August 13, 2016, 06:46:21 PM »
Oh, and the O'Reilley's wanted $9.49/qt for Mobil 1 of any grade.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re:
« Reply #42 on: August 13, 2016, 07:52:54 PM »
0W 20 Valvoline full synthetic was 25 for a 5 quart jug at Walmart.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #43 on: August 13, 2016, 07:55:51 PM »
0W 20 Valvoline full synthetic was 25 for a 5 quart jug at Walmart.

0w-20 Mobil1 Syn was $22 for 5qt at Walmart last night (as were all the other non-high-interval versions of M1 Syn).  I was there for something else and made a point to check.

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #44 on: August 14, 2016, 02:14:46 AM »
0w-20 Mobil1 Syn was $22 for 5qt at Walmart last night (as were all the other non-high-interval versions of M1 Syn).  I was there for something else and made a point to check.

Chris

That's weird. Mobil 1 Synthetic was $28 and change at my Walmart.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #45 on: August 14, 2016, 06:13:02 AM »
That's weird. Mobil 1 Synthetic was $28 and change at my Walmart.

That was the 15k extended change interval stuff.

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #46 on: August 14, 2016, 08:20:57 AM »
That was the 15k extended change interval stuff.

Chris

Ah. Didn't note that.

There's so many freaking types of synthetic oils/blends that do so many different freaking things it's confusing.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #47 on: August 14, 2016, 08:25:30 AM »
Well, according to a ton of test stuff I've read on line, the Valvoline stuff is pretty decent. I've used Valvoline for many years, so I think I'll stick with it.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #48 on: August 14, 2016, 08:38:58 AM »
Well, according to a ton of test stuff I've read on line, the Valvoline stuff is pretty decent. I've used Valvoline for many years, so I think I'll stick with it.

Yeah, unless you're trying to run insane oil change intervals, I don't think you'll go wrong with any of the major brand synthetic oils.  I stick with Mobil-1 mainly because it's a known quantity (been using it in all my vehicles for the last 20 years) and is available everywhere except Rooster's Walmart. :)

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #49 on: August 14, 2016, 08:40:35 AM »
Those are pretty much the exact reasons why I've been running primarily Valvoline oils in my cars since 1982.

Known quantity, good performance, and available just about anywhere.