Author Topic: Birthday  (Read 2139 times)

freedom lover

• resident high school student
  • "Who is the Coon?"
Birthday
« on: May 16, 2009, 03:20:37 PM »
I was born 18 years ago at 11 AM. I'm gonna go out to eat with the family and a few relatives this evening. I figure I'll register to vote republican and get my driver's license in a month or two. I'll probably wait alot longer than that before I buy any firearms. I've still got 1 year of high school left. It's interesting. I'm legally able to vote, marry, buy guns, drive, have sex with adults, work without papers, buy lotto tickets, and join the Army, yet I don't feel like an adult. I won't really be independant for a while, and then I'll have to worry about money. It's funny, my grandfather was drafted at 18, married at 19 or 20, and bought his own land and built his own house in his mid-twenties. He had many technical skills I don't, too. It might as well have been a different world back then.

I just hope I have a better adult life than my childhood. Being a kid could really suck.

cosine

• Administrator
Re: Birthday
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2009, 03:36:15 PM »
I remember when I turned 18. It was a funny feeling, all of a sudden realizing that legally that I was an adult... could buy smokes, long guns, vote, would be tried as an adult for any crimes, etc. ... I felt a great responsibility. When I turned 18, I really realized it was my life to live, and it would be my choices that would ensure my success or mess up my life. I was now the only one responsible for how I would turn out. So far, in the three years since then, I think I've been doing okay. I still have a lot to learn, and much work to do, but I'm managing.

Society gives you many years to grow up, and then one day you're just legally shoved into adulthood. It's an abrupt change, but you can handle it. 

Happy Birthday!
Andy

freedom lover

• "Who is the Coon?"
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2009, 03:38:47 PM »
Depending on the crime they can try you as an adult at 16 or 17.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2009, 03:42:06 PM »
Happy birthday.

As you observe, our society tries (and succeeds) in delaying adolescence. You at least recognize it's a problem. Get a job and move out asap, avoid debt (especially credit cards) like the plague, and read and then practice some good basic life skills like budgeting.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

freedom lover

• "Who is the Coon?"
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2009, 03:44:39 PM »
Thanks for the advice. I plan on getting a little education if I can before I fully move out.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2009, 07:02:25 PM »
Remember what Inara said to Fess Higgins? 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2009, 07:08:59 PM »
No, what did Inara say to Fess Higgins?
 =D
7-11 was a part time job.

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2009, 08:11:24 PM »
I just hope I have a better adult life than my childhood.

Make it so, friend.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

TMM

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2009, 08:29:18 PM »
turning one year older never made me feel any different. i'm 18, and i enjoy being responsible, but i also enjoy the fact that i don't have to be out on my own yet, so i can still be a kid for a while...(since, when you actually are a kid, you're too young to realize what kind of fun you're having)

but... buy a gun now. that's what i would do (and did do) if i were in you're situation (which i was in recently). it's fun, buying and owning your own firearm. you're supporting the economy, the constitution, and your freedom.

TMM

crt360

• friend
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2009, 08:34:28 PM »
Happy Birthday!

Eighteen is a great time.  Someday you'll be forty and think back about all the stuff you did or didn't do at your age, and how it shaped the next twenty years.
For entertainment purposes only.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2009, 09:17:27 PM »
happy birthday!  enjoy this time in your life and listen to what balog said  the bedgeting listen to twice.  i was engaged and trying to work fulltime while going to college at that age.
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2009, 09:23:53 PM »
Happy Birthday and Best Wishes.....  =D
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2009, 10:47:42 AM »
Happy birthday.

And remember:
"When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."” -C. S. Lewis
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2009, 10:52:45 AM »
Greetings fellow taurean. I turned fifty bleepin two on the 11th. Wish I just turned 18. Dammit! Wanna trade?  =D
Avoid cliches like the plague!

jackdanson

• friend
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2009, 08:17:59 PM »
I won't really be independant for a while, and then I'll have to worry about money.

Good luck, you'll always worry about money.  I'm 26 and I don't really consider myself "independent".  Without my wife and parents I would be eating microwaved ramen noodles and watching "movies" all day while living in a one bedroom apartment.  (not that I couldn't afford more, I just wouldn't have the motivation to "upgrade".... why spend money on rent or a house when I can buy more guns, beer, and video games)

Don't be in a hurry to grow up.. just live life, have fun... enjoy your last year of school, I know my senior year was my best year of school... I was miserable most of high school, I wish I could go back and enjoy myself more, it really is a good time in your life, even if it doesn't always seem it.

oh and happy bday.

freedom lover

• "Who is the Coon?"
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2009, 03:07:27 PM »
Thanks guys.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2009, 03:19:09 PM »
but... buy a gun now. that's what i would do (and did do) if i were in you're situation (which i was in recently). it's fun, buying and owning your own firearm. you're supporting the economy, the constitution, and your freedom.

TMM

I agree.  I went after school and bought an AK when I turned 18.  There's some symbolism attached to that AK.  =)

HankB

• friend
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2009, 03:54:55 PM »
Within weeks of turning 18, I purchased (officially purchased, that is!  :police: ) my first firearm - a Savage Fox Model B-SE 12 ga. DB shotgun.

Still have it, as a matter of fact . . . it's accounted for quite a few pheasant.  =D
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Nightfall

• friend
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2009, 04:17:15 PM »
Hope you had a happy b-day!
It is difficult if not impossible to reason a person out of a position they did not reason themselves into. - 230RN

freedom lover

• "Who is the Coon?"
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2009, 05:43:16 PM »
I did. I got a DVD of Red Dawn and ate awesome cake, among other things

Modifiedbrowning

• friend
  • Best Avatar on APS
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2009, 10:29:59 PM »
Happy Birthday. I'm going to be 38 tomorrow. Best of luck.
Give Peace a Chance,
Kill all Terrorists.