Author Topic: Microsoft turns over all Win7 and server source code to Russia's new KGB.  (Read 1407 times)

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/government/microsoft-turns-over-all-win7-and-server-source-code-to-russias-new-kgb/9191

Microsoft turns over all Win7 and server source code to Russia's new KGB

By David Gewirtz | July 14, 2010, 9:27am PDT

It seems absurd. Microsoft, America’s preeminent software maker, provides the operating system for more than 90% of the world’s computers — including those used by the U.S. Government.

Microsoft has always carefully protected the source code to its operating systems. In fact, a key distinction between the various Windows variants and open source OSs like Linux and BSD is that Linux and BSD are open source.

Microsoft protects its source code for a variety of reasons. One reason Microsoft doesn’t release its code is that its source code is the company’s crown jewels, it’s proprietary advantage.

Another is consistency. If the source code were made public, it might be possible for customers to “fork” the OS, leading to a wide variety of somewhat dissimilar “distros” of Windows.

But the prime reason is security. If its source code were made public, it might be easier for hackers to find vulnerabilities and exploit them — anything from breaking into systems to merely breaking to serial number validation process.

That’s why a little piece of news covered by ZDNet UK’s Tom Espiner is so astonishing.

According to Espiner, Microsoft has turned over all its source code for Windows 7, along with its source for Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2, Microsoft Office 2010 and Microsoft SQL Server to Russia’s Federal’naya sluzhba bezopasnosti Rossiyskoy Federatsii. The FSB is present-day Russia’s successor to the infamous Soviet-era KGB.

As has become quite apparent over the last week, Russia is far from out of the espionage business.

As Espiner reports, this is all about business, rather than state security. Microsoft has a Government Security Program where it allows governments access to its source code, ostensibly as part of the company’s various bids to sell software to international governments.

From a security perspective, this is an astonishing act. The agency that took over from the KGB and which has been just recently proven to be conducting long-term spying operations against the United States now has access to Windows source code — while at the same time, most American IT operations don’t.

Not only does this give the Russians the opportunity to find gaps in Windows security — it gives them the opportunity to do so while most American companies and organizations don’t have the same opportunity to find the same gaps and plug them.

Look, I think it’s important for American companies to export their goods and services, but we’ve long had a policy of restricting certain products from export. Perhaps it would have been wise to add Windows source code to that list before giving up the crown jewels to a frenemy of uncertain intention.

Another approach: If Microsoft’s going to give source code to Russia, it should release it to the public. Open source certainly hasn’t harmed Linux’ success and doing so would at least put American IT operators on a level playing field with the Russian secret service.

So who wants to bet on how fast the newest major exploit/worm/PITA comes out?
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Wow.

Well, I actually have been planning to switch my home to Linux for awhile... XP is starting to get long in the tooth and I don't like Vista/7.

I'll have a Windows VM inside my Linux box, and probably also have Wine-porting for a few favored games.  I don't think the Ruskies are out to get my PC in particular, but I don't like goobermints having access to source code that I'm not allowed to see.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
Meh...

I suspect it was more a matter of "If we can't confirm there's no back doors in it for American Intel services to exploit, we won't buy it" kind of thing.

On one hand it seems appalling, on the other when viewed through open-source lens.. just meh.
I promise not to duck.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Open source certainly hasn’t harmed Linux’ success

How successful has Linux been, compared to Windows or the Mac OSs?   ???
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
In New Russia operating system crashes YOU!
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

mtnbkr

• friend
How successful has Linux been, compared to Windows or the Mac OSs?   ???

Linux has gone from a toy OS to something used in production systems in the 13 years I've been working with it.  At my current company, all of our products are Linux-based.  At my previous job, a significant portion of our servers were Linux-based.  Many companies' products are linux-based (Mcafee, Symantec, and others use Linux as the core of their FW and security products.   

I see more Linux than other flavors of Unix these days.

In those environments, Windows and MacOS aren't even players.

Chris

Iain

• friend
"So who wants to bet on how fast the newest major exploit/worm/PITA comes out?"

That's the only issue I have with it.

Wonder if this was part of the spy deal: 'Ok you give us back the eleven did-nothing spies and we give you back four proper spies? We need Windows 7 source code too Yankee negotiator.'
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
"So who wants to bet on how fast the newest major exploit/worm/PITA comes out?"

That's the only issue I have with it.

Wonder if this was part of the spy deal: 'Ok you give us back the eleven did-nothing spies and we give you back four proper spies? We need Windows 7 source code too Yankee negotiator.'

Given the "Amatuer Hour" way this administration runs everything else I wouldn't be surprised if they did.   It also would surprise me if they threw it in for free, as a lovely parting gift
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

taurusowner

Uhhh... how hard would it really be for their Directorate of Science and Technology to back-engineer it anyways?  Is this really a huge deal?

Perd Hapley

• friend
Linux has gone from a toy OS to something used in production systems in the 13 years I've been working with it.  At my current company, all of our products are Linux-based.  At my previous job, a significant portion of our servers were Linux-based.  Many companies' products are linux-based (Mcafee, Symantec, and others use Linux as the core of their FW and security products.   

I see more Linux than other flavors of Unix these days.

In those environments, Windows and MacOS aren't even players.

I more or less knew all of that.  It's the last line that makes me wonder whether it's a valid comparison.  Windows and MacOS are trying to do something much different (run personal computers), and in that field, isn't Linux's share still very, very small? 

Obviously, Microsoft competes in the server OS market...

mtnbkr

• friend
Linux has grown leaps and bounds on the desktop side as well.  Far more people use it than when I first started in the 90s, the number of distros have grown, and overall ease of use has improved significantly. 

In 1997, when I got started, nobody I knew ran Linux.  Setting up a Linux desktop was a PITA and finding Linux replacement for your Windows apps was problematic.  Now, I couldn't count on all my fingers and toes the people I know "in real life" who use Linux on the desktop.  Finding alternatives for your Windows apps is mostly done, though not all are perfect replacements.

I'm not a research firm, so my perception is based on my view of things, but I see a significant increase in user base since the late 90s.

Chris

Perd Hapley

• friend
I don't think anyone doubts that Linux is more common and more user-friendly.  I was talking about market share. 

nobody I knew ran Linux
I still don't know anyone that runs Linux.  Outside of the internet.  (Except for a comp. sci. major I roomed with at UMR, mid-nineties. And he would have been you in that scenario.  =) )