Author Topic: Anyone done any dragon boat racing?  (Read 722 times)

Iain

• friend
Anyone done any dragon boat racing?
« on: June 18, 2006, 08:14:52 AM »
I ended up being a 'ringer' for my brothers company today. Never sat in one of the things before and I got about 200m of practice whilst paddling to the line for our first race.

Was good fun, got wet and our times got progressively worse as the races went on. Tiredness and people trying to muscle rather than time, but it was still fun. Bloody Qinetiq geeks and their practice sessions. Never have I been beaten by such a underfed over-caffeinated friendly bunch. They were gracious to a fault as they congratulated us on a 'close race' that was neither close nor really much of a race on our part.

Brother and I are going to go along to the next session that the local club (who hosted todays event) are running. Seems like a good sport.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2006, 08:37:33 AM »
What's a dragon boat?
Never done that but my boat did take the trophy in the 1993 Scott AFB, IL Cardboard Boat Regatta.
That was a real hoot!

Was good fun, got wet and our times got progressively worse as the races went on.
Yeah, our times got progressively worse too. But then that's to be expected with a cardboard boat.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Stickjockey

• friend
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2006, 09:01:09 AM »
Dragon boat:

APS #405. Plankowner? You be the judge.
We can't stop here! This is bat country!!

Iain

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2006, 09:25:07 AM »
They weren't quite that ostentatious but that's the principle. 8 down each side, a guy to steer and some little kid with a sense of rhythm to perch on the front and beat a drum.

Stupidest sight of the day was one crew's drummer leaning right off to the side at the end of the race and nearly taking the whole boat over with him.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also