Main Forums > The Roundtable

Ford Ranger rebuild question

(1/2) > >>

SpookyPistolero:
After a wreck I had, discussed in a previous thread some of you may have read, my Ford Ranger has been deemed totalled. Argh. So began a search for a new vehicle, started by looking at other trucks, however delusional. We eventually found a 2002 Ranger (same year that mine was) that had rolled over. The cab is messed up, but the bed and front look good (I've only seen photos, though my stepbrother has seen the real deal from afar).

The bed and frame on my truck are what is screwed really. The engines on both are fine, but the 'new' one is 4WD. My question is, basically, do any gear-heads here know if I could put my good condition cab onto frame of the 'new' truck? It's the same year, the only differences to my knowledge being that the 'new' one is a side-step model and is 4WD.

I don't have all the know-how, but my stepbrother and coworkers do. And my stepdad's company has a shop where I could do the work, and even a paint room and painter to give the thing a new paintjob.

Also, if you have that much knowledge, would you know how many other new major parts would need to be purchased to complete the switch? ($$?)

Thoughts?

onions!:
Why not just replace your frame w/a new one?Check the dealer,sometimes frames are pretty cheap.I've sold a few fullsize truck frames(GM) that were between $1k & $1500.

Alternatively,you might be able to part out that other truck & still come out ahead enough to get the correct frame used.

I didn't read your other thread but just how bad is "screwed" re.your existing frame?I ask because if it's not pretzeled then it wouldn't be the first time that an expierienced frame shop was able to resurrect a "totaled" truck.

BTW,what does your insurance man say about the rates to insure a total?

SpookyPistolero:
The body of the bed, and a large part of the front are messed up badly as well. I think that between all the new body parts I'd get and the new frame, I'd spend as much but not have the same quality as if I could successfully switch out the cab to this nicer, however rolled, ranger. My original ranger that was totalled I actually bought used, and it was a rebuild itself. Fellow at a body shop told me it was fixed incorrectly where they put the new bed on, and it was just barely safe as it was.

Not really sure of many of the specifics and am relying on much more knowledgeable folks than myself. If it's a doable concept, and if the frame, engine, etc on the 'new', however rollled, ranger aren't also really messed up, then I think i can pull it off.

I'm a bit concerned about unforseen costs and time, which I don't know how to estimate.

No idea on the new insurance rates. After dealing with both my company and 'theirs', I'm really not too keen on having to speak with them for a while.

280plus:
All I know is a friend of mine tried to CONVERT his 2wd to 4wd and 3/4 of the way through the project found frame members and holes not lining up. I suggest you do some careful measuring to make sure everything will fit BEFORE you dive into this.

caseydog:
I don't see you needing to make any major expenditures to make the cab switch , the original computer (PCM) in the rollover cab should be extracted and switched with yours, it's probably got some 4wd specific coding. Your frame and cab VIN #s will no longer match , you'll probably have to apply for a "reconstucted" or some such title depending on how your state handles such things. Be careful of motors that have been rolled , the wonderful fuel injection that makes them run so smooth will also let them run upside down which will kill the bearings in minutes if not seconds, worst case you have to swap in your motor. Thats about all I can think of now...

Ray

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version