Author Topic: Heresy!  (Read 1581 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Heresy!
« on: March 09, 2013, 02:30:30 PM »
http://tinyurl.com/amdxvbg

Swiss doctors say bacon is bad for you.

What do those jerks know?  They're all on some endorphin high from eating pounds of chocolate every day.

Past studies on red and processed meat's potential health effects have been chalked up to "well, people who eat a lot of that stuff lead unhealthy lifestyles to begin with." Same thinking goes for vegetarians, who are known to live longer than meat-eaters, but who also generally lead healthier lifestyles.

But now, a new observational study is teasing out processed meat's effect in particular on health, and shows that not only is it the sort of person who eats a lot of processed meat that has the negative health risks, but the processed meat itself.

The study, published in the journal BMC Medicine and conducted by researchers from the University of Zurich, shows an association between processed meat and higher risks of dying from heart disease and cancer.

The results are based on an analysis of 448,568 men and women between ages 35 and 69, who did not have cancer and who had not suffered a stroke or heart attack when they entered the study. Researchers gathered information on their diets, exercise, body mass index and smoking status. The participants came from 10 countries.

Researchers found strong associations between unhealthy lifestyle choices and high consumption of processed meat; such lifestyle choices including eating little produce and being more likely to smoke (among men and women), and drinking higher amounts of alcohol (among men).

So apparently the choice is to eat twigs and berries and drink distilled water so you can end up in the hospital dying of nothing, or to eat stuff that tastes good and makes you happy.

I know not others will say, but as for me, give me bacon or give me sausage.  Doesn't matter.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
Re: Heresy!
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2013, 05:12:54 PM »
Bacon-wrapped sausage?
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2013, 05:18:30 PM »
I'll have some bacon-wrapped bacon please. With bacon.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2013, 05:48:47 PM »
What do "processed meat" mean? 

That made me think that I eat a plethora of processed meat. 

Which led to this.
http://youtu.be/-mTUmczVdik

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2013, 05:48:53 PM »
Life without bacon only seems longer  =|

Besides, I read somewhere that people who eat avocados live longer.  So the answer is a bacon and avocado cheeseburger  :lol:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

cambeul41

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2013, 07:58:33 PM »
Besides, I read somewhere that people who eat avocados live longer.  So the answer is a bacon and avocado cheeseburger

Sounds good to me!  =D
?It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance.?
?Thomas Sowell

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2013, 09:39:24 PM »
I wasn't aware bacon was all that processed?

I don't think I eat a lot of processed meat. Unless you could slaughtered and cut up for cooking processed...
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2013, 10:24:00 AM »
I wasn't aware bacon was all that processed?

I think generally when they refer to "processed meats" it basically means "meats containing sodium nitrate", which bacon does.

I used to buy "uncured" hotdogs, etc., thinking I was avoiding the nitrates, but all "uncured" meat is loaded with celery juice, which in turn has nitrates. In fact you may end up with less nitrates in the meats that are "cured."

All that said, there's evidence for and against nitrates being the devil. Just like they're always flipflopping on eggs and such being good or bad. In the meanwhile, I'll just stick to my usual strategy of moderation.

Neemi

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2013, 12:44:00 PM »
Sure, bacon may be bad for you. I remember reading a nutritional study that said eating 50 pounds of strawberries or green beans a day was carcinogenic.

Then again, if you're eating 50 pounds of anything a day, cancer isn't your only problem.  :facepalm:

I'll just stick to my usual strategy of moderation
This.

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2013, 11:21:10 PM »
Seems like everything's been "bad" for you at one time or another; milk, eggs, sugar, salt, corn syrup, ad nauseum.

I'll have a double bacon cheese burger, with a side of sausage please.

So apparently the choice is to eat twigs and berries

stay safe.

Don't care what you do in private, but I sure as Hell ain't eating twigs & berries!   =D
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 11:37:27 PM by Cliffh »

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2013, 11:28:39 PM »
Based on this study, the entire import quantity of bacon allocated to the Swiss should be diverted....to my house.   =D

Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2013, 01:37:40 AM »
They need to stick with holely cheese and cuckoo clock making.
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.