Author Topic: apparently wonders do not cease  (Read 578 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
apparently wonders do not cease
« on: March 14, 2013, 10:15:48 AM »
http://www.midhudsonnews.com/News/2013/March/13/Alexander_cleared-13Mar13.htm

GOSHEN – An Orange County grand jury has cleared a Newburgh man of any charges in the shooting death of another man outside a Liberty Street bar in that city last October.

Charles Alexander, 21, shot and killed Justin Doctor, 23, of Newburgh on October 14 outside the Game Time Bar at 5 a.m.

District Attorney Frank Phillips said the entire incident was captured on surveillance video that the police acquired.

[snip]

And yet -
Alexander had no license for the gun he uses, which was not recovered. The grand jury declined to charge him with weapon’s possession

Only 2 counties removed from NYfC, and yet common sense prevails.  Must be that clean air they can breathe, thanks to being able to buy more than 16 ounces of sugary carbonated beverage in a single container.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
Re: apparently wonders do not cease
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2013, 10:21:07 AM »
http://www.midhudsonnews.com/News/2013/March/13/Alexander_cleared-13Mar13.htm

[snip]

Only 2 counties removed from NYfC, and yet common sense prevails.  Must be that clean air they can breathe, thanks to

I too have begun referring to the state as NFY
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2013, 10:24:02 AM »
I'm glad he wasn't charged for the shooting, but I'm trying to wrap my brain around why he wasn't charged with unlawful possession of a firearm.  I can think of a few possibilities.

1. The prosecutor's office told the grand jury that they were only interested in pursuing a murder charge, or,

2. Even though the video proves he had the gun at least long enough to defend his brother, to prove that he possessed it illegally would require him to testify against himself.

Any other guesses?
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2013, 10:37:26 AM »
I'm glad he wasn't charged for the shooting, but I'm trying to wrap my brain around why he wasn't charged with unlawful possession of a firearm.  I can think of a few possibilities.

1. The prosecutor's office told the grand jury that they were only interested in pursuing a murder charge, or,

2. Even though the video proves he had the gun at least long enough to defend his brother, to prove that he possessed it illegally would require him to testify against himself.

Any other guesses?

How about "He did the right thing" and the Grand Jury was not about to screw him over for some petty BS like a license?

Or, and this is really stretching things, they were aware of the case law that states that in circumstances of self defense (including defense of others) a felon may posses a firearm.  Generally the ruling is they can have it only long enough to complete the act of self defense.  Since the firearm was never recovered, it seems Alexander's actions comported with that line of legal reasoning.

Personally, my money is on door #1.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2013, 12:54:35 PM »
Backlash against Cuomo & Bloomberg?.....I'll bet the indictment rate for gun "crimes" in NY State starts dropping dramatically.....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.