Author Topic: "Just calling to check your recent medical status."  (Read 3078 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
"Just calling to check your recent medical status."
« on: March 19, 2013, 10:54:12 AM »
or, the dangers of being a medical guinea pig.

Just got a call from a place that does contract medical research.  I've been an participant in a fair number of their studies so they have a good history of my conditions, which do seem to be desired by a number of folks each year who think they have found, if not the cure for X, then the best treatment for helping folks live longer with X.

Seems they have a new clot-dissolving med in testing that supposedly can get rid of clots in hearts or brains up to about 90 days from formation.

"Hi.  Is this vaskidmark?  This is xx Labs and we were wondering if you had a heart attack or stroke within the last 90 days and would be interested in participating in a study about dissolving the clots that caused it."

We discussed how they were not all that dissapointed that I had not had a heart attack or stroke recently, and gossipped about some of the staff there that I had come to know fairly well over the years - new babies, kids graduating college, when is Dr, So-and-so ever going to retire and the like.

But I'm thinking that deep down, they really were hoping I had had a heart attack or stroke.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

geronimotwo

• friend
Re: "Just calling to check your recent medical status."
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2013, 11:13:35 AM »
either they're looking for a antother test subject, or they are conserned for some of the meds they gave you previously.    ask them to supply you with extra bacon and smokes for the next quarter so that you can live up to their needs.   :laugh:
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2013, 11:39:39 AM »
either they're looking for a antother test subject, or they are conserned for some of the meds they gave you previously.    ask them to supply you with extra bacon and smokes for the next quarter so that you can live up to their needs.   :laugh:

And fast women in skimpy nurse uniforms.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2013, 11:42:12 AM »
The OP made me giggle uncontrollably, I'm not sure why.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2013, 12:14:06 PM »
. . . But I'm thinking that deep down, they really were hoping I had had a heart attack or stroke.
If they send you an autographed copy of Obama's Best Speeches you'll know it . . .

;)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2013, 12:38:30 PM »
And fast women in skimpy nurse uniforms.

And you well know, from where your wife works, that such people in healthcare don't really exist.  I certainly don't see them in my hospitals.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2013, 02:28:24 PM »
And you well know, from where your wife works, that such people in healthcare don't really exist.  I certainly don't see them in my hospitals.

that's funny, all the video's i own have them..... ;/
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2013, 02:56:58 PM »

As fantastical as getting free bacon & smokes from medical researchers.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2013, 03:54:27 PM »

That's why there's a dominatrix industry  =D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2013, 10:16:52 PM »
Novum?
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2013, 05:03:43 AM »

When I was 16 I had my knee overhauled. 6 days in the hospital and left with a cast from ankle to crotch, I was pick plaster out of the pubes for days. The nurse that came and helped me dress the day I left got my attention, and she knew it before she was done.

But I'm thinking that deep down, they really were hoping I had had a heart attack or stroke.

Sounds like you're just not a team player.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2013, 07:26:03 AM »
If they send you an autographed copy of Obama's Best Speeches you'll know it . . .

;)

That wouldn't work. He has to be able to recover and live to useful, not end up in a grave.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2013, 12:52:53 PM »

Eh, there's a couple cuties in scrubs. No skimpy outfits, but scrubs can...  well, flattering, I suppose. On the plus side, if they work in an ER for a while, not a lot will shake them.

When I was 16 I had my knee overhauled. 6 days in the hospital and left with a cast from ankle to crotch, I was pick plaster out of the pubes for days. The nurse that came and helped me dress the day I left got my attention, and she knew it before she was done.

At 16, anything unrelated female with a pulse would get your attention.    ;)
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2013, 02:40:22 PM »
Getting back to the OP, could you tell if there was disappointment in their voice when you told them you were fine?

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2013, 02:54:42 PM »

At 16, anything unrelated female with a pulse would get your attention.    ;)

And at 60 - well, never mind  :angel:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2013, 03:58:04 PM »
Getting back to the OP, could you tell if there was disappointment in their voice when you told them you were fine?

Their frank disappointment was quite openly expressed.

Seems it is hard enough finding enough people who have had a heart attact or stroke in the last 90 days, let alone finding enough folks who wants to play guinia pig with drugs that might make you better, or might leave you as you currently are, or might even make things worse than thewy already are, all for science and a $50/visit "honorarium" (it isn't ethical to actually pay people to be medically 'speriminted on).

They might have had better luck a few centuries ago, poring over obituaries is search of likely bodies to dig up for those mad doctors.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.