Author Topic: PO'd girls threaten rape victim for turning in her attackers  (Read 4727 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
PO'd girls threaten rape victim for turning in her attackers
« on: March 20, 2013, 07:34:47 PM »
http://www.jammiewf.com/2013/two-girls-arrested-for-threatening-ohio-rape-victim/

Apparently this was not merely a spate of name calling and insulting.  It seems to be what the cops call "credible threats to kill her".

Rhetorical question - what are 15-year olds coming to?

Additional rhetorical question - what kind of parenting did they receive?

Unfortunately, the chances of them getting sentenced to juvie prison till 21, let alone being tried as an adult, are pretty slim.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
Re: PO'd girls threaten rape victim for turning in her attackers
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013, 08:26:02 PM »
This is rich white people's fault
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2013, 10:14:08 PM »
I'm about 100 miles from there...ugly situation.  But, from what I can tell from the time I've spent in juvi court, it's all too typical.  Social media is amazing to me, in that kids have no respect for the fact that anything put online is out there to everyone.   In some ways, it's worse than saying it out loud, because it may never go away.   Don't understand the whole texting photo thing either, but I am amazed by how many kids and adults do this without a second thought.

Back to the OP, Ohio law has juvi punishments like this:
Misdemeanor - up to 90 days in a detention center (jail for juvis)
Felony 5,, 4, or 3 - 6 months to age 21 in a Dept. of Youth Services facility (juvi prison)
Felony 2 or 1 - 1 year to age 21 in a DYS facility.

Release dates for felonies is determined by the DYS release authority, who allegedly evaluate a juvenile's treatment progress then makes a decision after the minimum date.  Reality is tha the kida get released as soon as they can justify it.

To be tried as an adult, it must be an offender 14 or older, the offense must be a serious felony, and the juvi court must find that the juvenile offender is not amenable to treatment in the juvenile system.  While it's not written, it is understood that short of a murder charge, a juvenile must have a prior felony record and DYS time to be sent to adult court.  Of course, there are provisions for an autommatic bindover if the juvenile uses a firearm to commmit a felony.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013, 06:56:05 PM »
To be tried as an adult, it must be an offender 14 or older, the offense must be a serious felony, and the juvi court must find that the juvenile offender is not amenable to treatment in the juvenile system. 

From what you have seen, do you think these guys are amenable to treatment?
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.

Lee

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2013, 08:13:59 PM »
This event makes me sick on multiple levels. Perhaps the most sickening part, aside from the sexual assualt, is that the whole group thought the girl was dead or dying and did nothing. They thought it was funny. The sexual assault was just a bonus for them.
I was surprised that the assault itself was not what I had imagined after hearing the early media reports. They "fingered" her while she was passed out. That is rape under Ohio law. Technically, I don't disagree with that, but the media made it sound like her lifeless body was being passed around and gang-raped.  Perhaps a killing offense to me, if it was my daughter, but I don't know if it makes the boys unsalvageable. Depends on other things.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2013, 08:17:46 PM »
their denials till convicted then the sobbing apologies made me less than merciful

juvi will be educational.
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2013, 09:55:18 PM »

There's a whole list of factors a court has to consider in making that decision,, including a psych. evaluation, educational assessment, social/family investigtion.  I prosecuted about 20 bindovers (transfer from juvi to adult) in my past.  Most judges almost require a prior juvi/DYS stint before they will rules that a kid is not amenable.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2013, 09:59:32 PM »
their denials till convicted then the sobbing apologies made me less than merciful

juvi will be educational.

Ohio DYS is nasty.  About twice the number of violent incidents in the juvi facilities than in the Ohio adult prison system.  Huge gang issues in the facilities.  It's as bad as you imagine...
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

• friends
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2013, 10:08:22 PM »
i know guys who try to get upgraded to adult charges to avoid juvi. i can do time. juvi scares me.

and i'll shed few tears for those 2

how do you apologize for something you claimed you never did?   even with a land shark coaching you how does that work? what were they thinking with video as evidence?
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2013, 11:54:53 PM »
how do you apologize for something you claimed you never did?   even with a land shark coaching you how does that work? what were they thinking with video as evidence?

A few years back I served on a jury in a case where a guy robbed a convenience store at knife point.  We had crystal clear video, testimony from the clerk who had stood between the crook and the front door (for a moment, until the knife came out), and testimony from cops who had been driving by as the crook bolted and who had chased him around the area and cornered him in an apartment complex laundry room.

The jury forewoman and I wanted to throw the book at this guy.  There were others (one in particular) who wanted us to compromise down to barely shoplifting.  They really believed there was reasonable doubt.  The forewoman and I stood our ground for several days, hung the jury, then told the prosecutor how to do better when they re-tried him.

Oh, and after the case was over the judge read the guy's record to us.  "Lengthy" would be an understatement.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

• friends
Re: Re: PO'd girls threaten rape victim for turning in her attackers
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2013, 03:50:36 AM »
There is a case in DC were 11 people want to convict a guy of murder. One woman hung the jury.her reason? "i don't wanna send another yoing black man to jail!"
He walked. Killed again

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2013, 09:41:53 AM »
There's a whole list of factors a court has to consider in making that decision,, including a psych. evaluation,

In a previous career, I did a fair number of these evaluations, plus treatment when it was ordered.  It was difficult.  If someone is being evaluated, there is a huge incentive to lie and make themselves look better.  I am not sure how helpful these kinds of evaluations are, though there are some tests like the MMPI, that can provide some useful information.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2013, 10:10:53 AM »

As in, will <treatment> bring about any positive change in thought process, and thus in behavior?

As one formerly certified by the State to offer psychosocial rehabilitative counseling to convicted sex offenders my considered and professional opinion is not only no, but hell no.

The "art" still begins by trying to find or instill a sense of empathy.  IMHO you could not get empathy into them with a pile driver.

These kids know exactly and precisely what they did wrong - they got caught!  Not that they ever believed that they were doing anything for which one could be "caught".

And so you ask, "skid, as a (formerly) certified professional practitioner of the art, what, if anything, do you suggest be done?"  My best-of-all-possible answers is that we climb in the wayback machine and 1) perform a retroactive therapeutic abortion.  Your choice of how many generations we go back; or 2) we set the wayback macine a little less way back and grab the biological progenitors of these two and, by force if necessary instill in them the ability and willingness to parent in order to achieve law-abiding individuals who know and respect the boundaries of social interaction.  This "force if necessary" applies to the issue of the biological progenitors as well.  If I start early enough I may not "create" a productive member of society that does not go around sexually assaulting anybody, but by golly I can make one afraid to even contemplate doing so.  Sort of like how you "convince" a dog to stay inside the invisible fence.

But since there is no best-of-all-possible worlds and no wayback machine, what can we do?  My best response is to throw them into the adult system and let the details of their crime be known.  It does not solve anything, it does not improve anybody, and there is about a 70% chance that with three years of release they will both violate conditions of release (used to be called parole but we don't have that any more) and reoffend.  Makes you all warm and fuzzy inside, doesn't it?

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2013, 10:23:50 AM »
The "art" still begins by trying to find or instill a sense of empathy.  IMHO you could not get empathy into them with a pile driver.

I'd be willing to give it a shot.  Got a pile driver?

Joking asisde, Mrs Mush used to work in the juvie system down here and it was a real eye opener for me.  with the recidivism rates that juvi programs have I wonder why we bother to let any of them go.  Sex Offenders as well.

The real issue, as skid mentioned, is that these guys don't think they did anything wrong.  Oh they'll mouth the platitudes, but they don't believe them.  So, as a society, we either never let them go, realize they'll almost certainly rape again, or do something so tramatic to them that the mere thought of it stops the next rape in it's tracks.

Not really any good choice there.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2013, 10:57:30 AM »
I'm ok with the death penalty for rape/child molestation etc as long as there is conclusive hard evidence. Your semen is inside a child? Death penalty. Video of you raping a girl? Death penalty. He said she said about whether it was consensual? Probably not.

I'm not a feminist by any means, but news stories about rapists that focus on how sad it is that these promising young men threw their lives away and whole towns where protecting the high school football team is moire important than stopping rapists etc ad nauseum are what folks mean when they're talking about the rape culture.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2013, 11:04:55 AM »
My daughter was a victim of cyber bullying. teenage girls can be absolutely brutal. The State Police tracked their little asses down and scared the bejesus out of them though. We decided not to press charges. The trooper was not happy with us.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2013, 11:36:31 AM »
Everyone involved are quite the model citizens  ;/
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2013, 03:10:54 PM »
I'm about 100 miles from there...ugly situation.  But, from what I can tell from the time I've spent in juvi court, it's all too typical.  Social media is amazing to me, in that kids have no respect for the fact that anything put online is out there to everyone.   In some ways, it's worse than saying it out loud, because it may never go away.   Don't understand the whole texting photo thing either, but I am amazed by how many kids and adults do this without a second thought.

Back to the OP, Ohio law has juvi punishments like this:
Misdemeanor - up to 90 days in a detention center (jail for juvis)
Felony 5,, 4, or 3 - 6 months to age 21 in a Dept. of Youth Services facility (juvi prison)
Felony 2 or 1 - 1 year to age 21 in a DYS facility.

Release dates for felonies is determined by the DYS release authority, who allegedly evaluate a juvenile's treatment progress then makes a decision after the minimum date.  Reality is tha the kida get released as soon as they can justify it.

To be tried as an adult, it must be an offender 14 or older, the offense must be a serious felony, and the juvi court must find that the juvenile offender is not amenable to treatment in the juvenile system.  While it's not written, it is understood that short of a murder charge, a juvenile must have a prior felony record and DYS time to be sent to adult court.  Of course, there are provisions for an autommatic bindover if the juvenile uses a firearm to commmit a felony.
Sometimes its really amazing how open peoples facebooks are, it was worse in the myspace heyday.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

brimic

• friends
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2013, 05:35:24 PM »
'm not a feminist by any means, but news stories about rapists that focus on how sad it is that these promising young men threw their lives away and whole towns where protecting the high school football team is moire important than stopping rapists etc ad nauseum are what folks mean when they're talking about the rape culture.
A lot of those go on to play college ball where there is even a bigger community protecting their anti-social behavior.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2013, 05:41:14 PM »
This event makes me sick on multiple levels. Perhaps the most sickening part, aside from the sexual assualt, is that the whole group thought the girl was dead or dying and did nothing. They thought it was funny. The sexual assault was just a bonus for them.
I was surprised that the assault itself was not what I had imagined after hearing the early media reports. They "fingered" her while she was passed out. That is rape under Ohio law. Technically, I don't disagree with that, but the media made it sound like her lifeless body was being passed around and gang-raped.  Perhaps a killing offense to me, if it was my daughter, but I don't know if it makes the boys unsalvageable.

A major problem of what is wrong with our society is that kids are becoming sociopaths and encouraged to do so at a young age. This type behavior is common, tolerated, encouraged. It's very excrabated by parents who "just want to be their kid's friend" instead of a parent.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2013, 06:29:16 PM »
All I can think when I see this thread is two trailer park girls go round the outside...

=|
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2013, 06:49:18 PM »
A major problem of what is wrong with our society is that kids are becoming sociopaths and encouraged to do so at a young age. This type behavior is common, tolerated, encouraged. It's very excrabated by parents who "just want to be their kid's friend" instead of a parent.

On behalf of the sociopaths of the USA I strongly object to being lumped in with feral children.  (Yes, by all diagnostic criteria I am a sociopath.  Wanna make something of it?)

You cannot "make" someone become a sociopath, as it is a cluster of psychological affects - but mostly a cluster of the absence of specific psychological traits most of the rest of you have in abundance.  The Brits have done a fair job distinguishing between ferals, yobs, yutes, and chavs.  You are invited to go find out about each of those "types".

For those that wonder how a full-blown sociopath manages to make it through the world today without ending up in prison or the grave - most of us are used car salesmen, divorce attorneys, TV infomercial hucksters, and first-tier computer help desk jockies.  A few of us drift or find ourselves pulled into the "higher" professional callings, especially accounts receivable, social work, and medical research recruiting.  While I cannot speak for the rest of my tribe out there, I will say that once I learned to fake sincerity all the rest was downhill.

stay safe.

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2013, 07:03:40 PM »

As one formerly certified by the State to offer psychosocial rehabilitative counseling to convicted sex offenders my considered and professional opinion is not only no, but hell no.

I worked in that field, too.  I think it entirely depends on the person and there are some good treatment programs out there.  It is a lot of work for these people to get better and they have to be brutally honest with themselves.

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2013, 07:09:48 PM »

Joking asisde, Mrs Mush used to work in the juvie system down here and it was a real eye opener for me.  with the recidivism rates that juvi programs have I wonder why we bother to let any of them go.  Sex Offenders as well.

According to a 2002 Bureau of Justice Study on sex offenders, the recidivism rate for sex offenders was 5.3% within 3 years of being released.  I was able to find a few other studies that went into longer time periods, but they were all within a few percentage points.  Obviously, the vast majority of these people are not doing it again.  I don't know if they are "cured" or just find other ways to control their urges.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2013, 11:52:46 PM »
...or were wrongly/unfairly convicted.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine