Author Topic: Computer nerd challenge  (Read 528 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Computer nerd challenge
« on: April 01, 2013, 08:09:46 AM »
On one web site (discussion board) I cannot get a line feed (carriage return for us oulde pharts) when hitting ENTER (RETURN for us OFs).  Happens on that one board and nowhere else on that I go on the web.  Everybody else on the board seems to have no problem getting a line feed whenever they want one - just hit ENTER and voila! there it is.

Yes, I have tried turning it off and turning it on again. :P  I have even signed off, logged off, and done a complete shut-down, then waited more than 15 minutes and started up, logged on, signed in, and still no joy.

The cursor sits there at the end of whatever I have typed.  (Yes, I get word wrap if I type a long bunch of stuff.)  It just sits there and blinks at me, as if taunting me to try and go to a new line on purpose.

I have signed out, logged off, and shut down, then gone to another box of magic smoke or my smart phone.  fricking carriage return out the wazoo every time I hit the ENTER key.  It's like the computer and the message board knew I wanted a new line and worked together to satisfy my wish as soon as I hit that ENTER key,

Sign off.  Go back to the main box of magic smoke.  Turn on, log on, sign in.  Hit the ENTER key - no joy.

I'm running Windoze 7 because it's what I've got.  I have a somewhat strange-looking screen for Firefox (just the #@$&# Yahoo! search box, but it works as the browser for my free AOL account.  IE has not been on the box of magic smoke for over 6 months.

Other than getting rid of the main box of magic smoke, anybody have any ideas/suggestions/hints on how to get my line feed back on that one board?

stay safe.

If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Re: Computer nerd challenge
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 08:58:37 PM »
Nevermind.

Someone on the effected forum pointed me to the basic editing choices.  WYSIWYG was not my friend.

I now haz line feed there, just like everywhere else.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.