Author Topic: Shooting at University of Texas in Austin  (Read 3313 times)

Lennyjoe

• friend
Shooting at University of Texas in Austin
« on: September 28, 2010, 11:50:23 AM »
New developments here:  http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/09/28/police-search-gunman-inside-university-texas-library-austin/

A university spokeswoman said police received reports at approximately 8 a.m. of an armed suspect inside the school's Perry Castaneda Library

Not good. We drove by there Sunday.

I will never understand the mentallity of walking into a populated area and shooting people at random and then killing oneself.  Makes no sense to me.

Me and the wife were just talking about that on Sunday while driving 2260 miles back to Arizona.  I would rather that the individual just go out to the field and off him/her self instead.

HankB

• friend
Re: Shooting at University of Texas in Austin
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2010, 02:09:48 PM »
Latest news now, some 4 or 5 hours after the shooting, is that:

* Witnesseses saw a black-clad man with a ski mask and "an AK47" enter the library. Reports of "shots fired" came in at about 8:25 AM.

* Around 9:10 AM police reported that the perp had shot himself on the 6th floor of the library. Police were checking for a possible second shooter.

* No second shooter or victims were found, "All Clear" signal was given about 11:45 AM.

So the current reports are that it ended well - nobody dead or injured but the perp, which is how these things OUGHT to end. Let's hope no bad news (i.e., additional victims) comes along.

(As an aside, I wonder if the perp was on some sort of prescription meds . . . they usually are in these cases.)

Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 02:22:06 PM »
best possible result, barring the guy surrendering unhurt
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2010, 03:38:15 PM »
i'd say his death is better than his surrender.

Pours some chlorine in the gene pool

Luckily, the campus' prohibition against guns kept something bad from happeni--

Oh, wait.
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

taurusowner

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2010, 04:00:17 PM »
best possible result, barring the guy surrendering unhurt

Even better than that.  Now the citizens of Texas don't have to spend millions of dollars trying, convicting, and keeping this guy alive in prison for the next few decades.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2010, 04:15:26 PM »
Even better than that.  Now the citizens of Texas don't have to spend millions of dollars trying, convicting, and keeping this guy alive in prison for the next few decades.
I think our track record has improved for death penalty cases.  I don't think it has been taking multiple decades. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2010, 04:57:13 PM »
UT-Austin, again?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Whitman

Glad to read that no innocents were killed this time.

""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2010, 05:01:57 PM »
That's the way to do it - shoot yourself first and then shoot all the other people  :laugh:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2010, 05:55:08 PM »
Hope he didn't get blood and brains and ruptured eyeball goo all over the books.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2010, 07:31:38 PM »
That's the way to do it - shoot yourself first and then shoot all the other people  :laugh:

Best way to do it.....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2010, 07:31:54 PM »
Local news is carrying a story about how a "campus carry" bill may get moving in the legislature again. (It passed the TX senate last year, but never came to a vote in the TX house. Thank you, Texas GOP.)

Predictably, the school administration, the student union, and a grad student group are opposed.  :mad:
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2010, 07:43:10 PM »
Predictably, the school administration, the student union, and a grad student group are opposed.  :mad:

'Cause if that bill passes, people might bring guns on campus.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2010, 08:19:10 AM »

That's what folks always claim, but since it only allows concealed carry (like the rest of Texas) how would you know?

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2010, 08:26:55 AM »
Update: Local news is reporting this morning that Dr. John Lott was scheduled to give a talk on campus yesterday about the virtues of concealed carry. It got moved to " . . . a local bookstore . . . " because of the disruption caused by the suicidal shooter, but they aired part of an interview with him that was quite reasonable.

Predictably, they also interviewed some kid - the head of a campus anti-gun group? - who said that having more people on campus with guns would be bad because dozens of people would have been killed in the crossfire, and the police wouldn't know who the good guys and bad guys were.  ;/

Of course, the news media & various bureaucrats are heaping high praise on the police for how they handled everything and are giving them credit for "protecting" everyone else. (Wonder if they'd be saying the same if the shooter had mass murder on his mind, rather than merely suicide.)

tyme

• expat
  • friend
  • Did you know that dolphins are just gay sharks?
    • TFL Library
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2010, 08:55:17 AM »
From the news: The gunman is identified as Colton Tooley, he was allegedly in a business suit and ski mask.

He was a sophomore majoring in math focusing on actuarial sciences.  Let the jokes begin.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/shots-fired-university-texas-austin-cops-hunt-gunman/story?id=11744405
Support Range Voting.
End Software Patents

"Four people are dead.  There isn't time to talk to the police."  --Sherlock (BBC)

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2010, 10:08:16 AM »
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2010, 10:37:30 AM »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2010, 10:48:31 AM »
So the cops wouldn't pay particular attention to a guy wearing a ski mask and holding a gun? Who's the police chief in Austin, Stevie Wonder?

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2010, 11:07:52 AM »
From the news: The gunman is identified as Colton Tooley, he was allegedly in a business suit and ski mask...
Let the jokes begin.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/shots-fired-university-texas-austin-cops-hunt-gunman/story?id=11744405
Okay, then.
A picture of the gunman:

And from the article:
Police confirmed Tooley was carrying an AK-47, a military-grade combat rifle.
A military-grade WASR?

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2010, 12:34:08 PM »
And from the article:A military-grade WASR?

Hey, if it has a long curvy banana-magazine, it's military GRADE.   [tinfoil]

Maybe "military grade" is newspeak for assault rifle .... .....   
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2010, 03:00:36 PM »
That's what folks always claim, but since it only allows concealed carry (like the rest of Texas) how would you know?

You'll know when they start carrying military-grade combat rifles, and then shoot themselves. Hey, wait a minute...
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2010, 10:55:21 AM »
Article written by a UT Professor. I found the link on another forum. One of the comments there was, "What would the author's response be if someone replaced 'AK-47' in the second to last paragraph with 'Prius' ". The fastest response team in the world couldn't have gotten there before the Prius madman had run over dozens of students.

http://www.statesman.com/opinion/palaima-u-s-gun-laws-allow-normal-day-942601.html
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."