Author Topic: officially sanctioned common sense  (Read 7697 times)

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
Re: officially sanctioned common sense
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, 02:01:45 PM »
My mom has sent me a pic of a coyote in her backyard in Arlington VA. In broad daylight. Looked to be about 65-70lbs in size.

She lives about a mile from the Pentagon and Arlington Cemetery.
I promise not to duck.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 02:48:36 PM »
I've seen yote corpses on I66 near Fairfax, VA.  They're thick in the public lands in this region.

Chris

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2012, 03:44:37 PM »
Common sense coyote control?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

grampster

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2012, 03:48:26 PM »
There are a lot of 'em around the House and the Senate and the White House.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2012, 03:54:32 PM »
We've had that for years, won't make much of a dent.  They need to put a bounty on them and then you will see numbers go down.
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

• friends
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2012, 04:02:02 PM »
they had a bounty   
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2012, 04:48:05 PM »
There are a lot of 'em around the House and the Senate and the White House.

Negative, insulting to coyotes. Not sure what manner of foul, carrion feeding scavengers they might be but they are not as good as coyotes.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2012, 05:38:08 PM »
We've had common scents out West from the beginning  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2012, 07:24:23 PM »
I shoot at yotes but the darn things never cooperate and stand still when I am blasting away.
NV yotes are very rude.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2012, 01:51:45 AM »
Standing still is a bad habit  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2012, 06:09:51 AM »
I shoot at yotes but the darn things never cooperate and stand still when I am blasting away.

This is why my cousin likes his machine gun.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2012, 08:28:37 AM »
In suburban areas like mine, coyotes are beneficial - they keep down the housecat population.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2012, 08:48:14 AM »
We've had common scents out West from the beginning  ;)

Speak for yourself. I for one, don't smell like a coyote. :P
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2012, 09:37:06 AM »
This is why my cousin likes his machine gun.

Ha! We had a former neighbor that told us he was shooting at a coyote with a real registered AK-47, and shot the power line in two  =D

HankB

• friend
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2012, 12:58:44 PM »
Ha! We had a former neighbor that told us he was shooting at a coyote with a real registered AK-47, and shot the power line in two  =D
That must have been some acrobatic coyote, perching on a power line.   ;)

(The recoil shouldn't have kicked the muzzle up that far!)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2012, 01:02:09 PM »
That must have been some acrobatic coyote, perching on a power line.   ;)

(The recoil shouldn't have kicked the muzzle up that far!)

Maybe not, but 5 or 6 recoils in a row could have
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2012, 01:48:17 PM »
Maybe not, but 5 or 6 recoils in a row could have

Yeah, not to mention shooting downhill across the valley.

I've shot deer on the hill across the coulee on my own land, shooting over the top of the powerline that runs up to the neighbor behind us.  ;)

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2012, 04:59:45 PM »
He suggests that farmers use strong fencing and guard animals, such as Great Pyrenees dogs or donkeys, to ward off coyotes.

Donkeys?

I never heard of that one.

Someone enlighten me, please.

Terry, 230RN

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2012, 05:19:01 PM »
Donkeys?

Terry, 230RN

Apparently they are pretty good fighters, as well as aggressive towards predators and protective of who they deem to be their family.

Saw this a while back and am glad I was able to find it again. http://trigar.com/coolstuff/donkey_lion/donkey_vs_mountain_lion.htm
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

• friends
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2012, 05:28:31 PM »
ponys too  mine stomped a yote flat

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2012, 05:34:46 PM »
Ha! We had a former neighbor that told us he was shooting at a coyote with a real registered AK-47, and shot the power line in two  =D

Coyotes can fly?

I wish my state would set a policy like that. There's protected open space on three sides of where I live, and we hear coyotes back there at night when the windows are open. They've been attacking cows on nearby farms as well as house pets here and there, and IMHO it's only a matter of time before a child gets attacked. But ... we aren't supposed to shoot them. Or trap them. And I'm not allowed to drive my Jeep back there, so I can't even try to run them down.

And 'yotes are no more a native species here than they are in Virginia.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 05:39:19 PM by Hawkmoon »
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2012, 08:05:19 PM »
Donkeys?

Terry, 230RN
It is possible that the "ass" in "ass-kicking" originally referred to a member of the animal kingdom.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2012, 08:11:37 PM »
It is possible that the "ass" in "ass-kicking" originally referred to a member of the animal kingdom.

No, but the term jackass is quite accurate ;)

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2012, 08:19:34 PM »
No, but the term jackass is quite accurate ;)
:laugh:
And I thought horses were the bad tempered ones.