Author Topic: Interesting pics from WWII  (Read 708 times)

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Hutch

• friend
Re: Interesting pics from WWII
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2011, 10:21:42 AM »
Couple of interesting notes...

Infantryman with M1 Garand, but still wearing a "doughboy" helmet.  Didn't think they overlapped.

Several references to YB-17, even dated to 1942.  Thought they droped the "Y' (experimental) long before that.

Somebody climbing a ladder on the waist of a PBY carrying a ".30 calbre machinegun", that looks like a Lewis gun.  I didn't think we deployed those at all during WWII.

Any others?
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
Re: Interesting pics from WWII
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2011, 01:52:40 PM »
Infantryman with M1 Garand, but still wearing a "doughboy" helmet.  Didn't think they overlapped.
Maybe National Guard? Most likely, there weren't enough of the new helmets to go around, so guys still in training got the old ones that they had plenty of. See here for more use of old helmets.

Somebody climbing a ladder on the waist of a PBY carrying a ".30 calbre machinegun", that looks like a Lewis gun.  I didn't think we deployed those at all during WWII.
I think it's a 1919 with a mounting gimmick on the side. Like this.