Author Topic: Marine Veteran critically injured at Occupy Oakland  (Read 29887 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Marine Veteran critically injured at Occupy Oakland
« Reply #50 on: October 27, 2011, 10:05:04 PM »
Because it is the Oakland PD.  Their track record is not one of non-malice.
It is more than that.  The assumption that the cops are wrong is common.  You can see that in the OP. 

Honestly, from what I have heard of the protests in some places, I am surprised the police have been as restrained as they are.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #51 on: October 27, 2011, 11:21:55 PM »
Am I the only person who noticed the smoking object in the foreground of the video, skipping toward the police from behind camera left?

It makes a brief appearance a few seconds after the gernade goes off.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #52 on: October 27, 2011, 11:23:55 PM »
Am I the only person who noticed the smoking object in the foreground of the video, skipping toward the police from behind camera left?

It makes a brief appearance a few seconds after the gernade goes off.

A protestor skipping about and smoking a doob? Par for the course, idn't it?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Stetson

• friends
« Reply #53 on: October 28, 2011, 12:10:38 AM »
It is more than that.  The assumption that the cops are wrong is common.  You can see that in the OP. 

Honestly, from what I have heard of the protests in some places, I am surprised the police have been as restrained as they are.

They are there to protect and serve.  I get that its difficult sometimes but being restrained is part of their job.  They are the professionals, which they point out all the time....

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #54 on: October 28, 2011, 12:14:23 AM »
I just wish to clarify, for the sake of Seenterman or anyone else who cared to know. I do support the first amendment rights to free speech and assembly. I hope, for that Marine's sake, that he is not a supporter of the foreign Occupation, but he does have the right to join them in tearing down the nation he served while in uniform.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #55 on: October 28, 2011, 02:18:02 AM »
I wish they'd used Propafal.

I wonder if they could develop an inhalable drug similar to naloxone.  Could be entertaining as hell...in a lot of places.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #56 on: October 28, 2011, 02:33:54 AM »
Scott Olsen a Marine, and two tour Iraq veteran was critically injured at the Occupy Oakland protest on Tuesday. It appears he was hit in the face with a 40mm tear gas canister fired by police. Scott was standing roughly 10 feet away from one of the police lines which was on his right side but it appears the gas canister that hit him was fired from directly in front of from an indeterminate distance away. In the video you can see Scott fall between the 10 second mark and the 12 second mark. Its very hard to tell but it appears that a tear gas canister goes off right before he falls.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZLyUK0t0vQ&feature=player_embedded

It was my understanding that tear gas canisters fired from a launcher are supposed to be aimed at the feet of protesters to avoid this type of situation entirely. Any LEO's here that can confirm this?

But wait it gets worse!

Scott is clearly seriously injured, was unconscious, not moving, and laying prone on the street 10 feet away from about 30 cops who offer no assistance. So other protesters run over to assist a downed man and some sadistic cop decided to throw a flash bang into a group of protesters assisting an injured person.  Watch from the 45 second mark on the youtube video, its very clear that a flash bang or some other explosive device ( I've heard it referred to as a one-banger by supposedly a member of the military on another forum) is thrown at protesters assisting an injured man while not a single officer steps up to offer any assistance. Which is actually a violation of dept. policy

And yet around 30 officers just stand there after a man is knocked unconscious by one of their projectiles and yet does nothing to assist. In fact one of them attempts to delay his treatment and possibly worsen his injuries by throwing a flashbang at him and the people attempting to help him.

What makes this even more outrageous is the Oakland PD has denied using flashbangs or rubber bullets in there press release that night and instead attempted to blame it on the protesters themselves!

http://www.kgoam810.com/Article.asp?id=2319255&spid=

Bull. We have it on multiple videos police using multiple flash bang style grenades.

http://www.businessinsider.com/occupy-oakland-protester-says-this-video-prooves-the-oakland-police-used-illegal-flash-bangs-2011-10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7r2ETi5C1A

That officer who got his jolly's off by throwing an explosive devise at people trying to help an injured man needs to be prosecuted an thrown off the police force. Anything less is a travesty. Your take on this guys?

one of the beloved chants of the radlibs is "this is what democracy looks like"  & well-it is! that's why I prefer a Republic.

People are saying OPD attacked But from what I see its the public sector union attacking, they cant have it both ways. The radlibs all supported the public sector unions-it should be an honor to have them blow you up.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #57 on: October 28, 2011, 10:27:44 AM »
What I see:

A U.S. service member, who has thrown in his lot with people essentially agitating for various forms of communism. Someone who took an oath to defend what is probably the most non-communist document in history, the U.S. Constitution.

And police brutality.

No winners here. I'm moving along now.
I promise not to duck.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #58 on: October 28, 2011, 01:49:13 PM »
http://www.verumserum.com/?p=31617

Interesting.

As argued above, it shouldn't matter if the guy who took the less-lethal to the noggin was the registrant/owner of "www.ihatethemarinesandwishtheydalldie.com".

But it does re-affirm my "No winners here" stance for sure.
I promise not to duck.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #59 on: October 28, 2011, 03:42:05 PM »
Shhh. This is a huge windfall for OWS. Don't ruin this for them.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #60 on: October 28, 2011, 03:44:10 PM »
http://www.verumserum.com/?p=31617

Interesting.

As argued above, it shouldn't matter if the guy who took the less-lethal to the noggin was the registrant/owner of "www.ihatethemarinesandwishtheydalldie.com".

But it does re-affirm my "No winners here" stance for sure.

Nevermind the situation he's currently in.

What a F'ed up jerk.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #61 on: October 28, 2011, 04:02:18 PM »
Honestly, there is something like a lit firework skipping across the ground heading toward the police from the protestors.

Does no one else see it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZLyUK0t0vQ  at 40 seconds and 57 seconds, JUST before the scene changes
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #62 on: October 28, 2011, 04:32:48 PM »
Nevermind the situation he's currently in.

What a F'ed up jerk.

It gets better.

Apparently he's also a Juggalo*.  :laugh:

*The teens and twenty-somethings that like to paint their faces like the Insane Clown Posse rappers.
I promise not to duck.

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #63 on: October 28, 2011, 05:46:08 PM »
oh, good, i thought this was a decent citizen we were talking about. now i feel much better. =|
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #64 on: October 28, 2011, 05:48:14 PM »
Being a juggalo makes it okay if someone shoots you in the face? The bar is being set low.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #65 on: October 28, 2011, 05:52:00 PM »
oh, good, i thought this was a decent citizen we were talking about. now i feel much better. =|

Being a juggalo makes it okay if someone shoots you in the face? The bar is being set low.

Intentionally misinterpreting what people say?! Awesome!

AJ, et al, please don't take the bait. Disingenuous comments don't deserve a sincere reply. Let's just hope the perpetrators of same feel more liberty-er than the rest of us, since they seem to need that.

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #66 on: October 28, 2011, 05:53:35 PM »
I had some juggaloes in my cab once, they were concerned about negative press and tipped me pretty good.  However, I can see why some folks don't like them

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Juggalo&defid=3818650
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #67 on: October 28, 2011, 05:59:52 PM »

Intentionally misinterpreting what people say?! Awesome!

AJ, et al, please don't take the bait. Disingenuous comments don't deserve a sincere reply. Let's just hope the perpetrators of same feel more liberty-er than the rest of us, since they seem to need that.

bait?  i asked for no reply.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #68 on: October 28, 2011, 06:01:53 PM »
I almost posted something snarky without double checking myself but I stopped in time and just want to establish a base-line for this thread before I go stomping on toes with my size 12EEE's.

The impression I'm getting from several posters here is that if a person's politics differs significantly enough from one's own it is thus entirely tolerable that this person to be physically harmed, specifically in this case to be struck in the face with a rifle launched tear gas canister, and then his first responders be driven away by an explosively dispersed tear gas grenade, without any regard for any particular laws, policies, or constitutional rights.

Is this a correct impression?

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #69 on: October 28, 2011, 06:05:11 PM »
in my ever expanding quest for fairness and accuracy, ICP whom the "juggaloes"
worship seem like nice young men with a sense of humor, not much musical talent though. It could be that the director had the sense of humor though, meaning that ICP lack musical talent and humor. You'll have to decide for yourselves because I'm not looking at any other ICP videos...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fe8jJBoEmuY

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #70 on: October 28, 2011, 06:06:34 PM »
The impression I'm getting from several posters here is that any criticism of an occupier quisling who got jacked up by the police is to be read as approval of the cops' measures.

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #71 on: October 28, 2011, 06:09:35 PM »
I almost posted something snarky without double checking myself but I stopped in time and just want to establish a base-line for this thread before I go stomping on toes with my size 12EEE's.

The impression I'm getting from several posters here is that if a person's politics differs significantly enough from one's own it is thus entirely tolerable that this person to be physically harmed, specifically in this case to be struck in the face with a rifle launched tear gas canister, and then his first responders be driven away by an explosively dispersed tear gas grenade, without any regard for any particular laws, policies, or constitutional rights.

Is this a correct impression?
IDK, not from me. I do however think if radlibs tell me over and over how great the public sector union is ( like they did during the Gov Walker dust up this past summer ) then when the public sector shoots them in the face they should say "thank you" after all unions are sacred.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #72 on: October 28, 2011, 06:13:28 PM »
The impression I'm getting from several posters here is that any criticism of an occupier quisling who got jacked up by the police is to be read as approval of the cops' measures.

Reasonably fair to say that aside from De Selby, everyone here on this forum doesn't much care for the Occupy crowd.

But I'm with kgbsquirrel here... sounds like a lot of folks here are okay with the results of this, and justifying that acceptance based upon the political leanings of this person and not based upon his actions (i.e. if he were charging the police line and got shot in the face that's one thing, but from what I can see he was standing still when shot in the face).  The impression is that it's okay for people to get shot in the face while standing still, as long as they have dirty-hippy-beliefs.

Shooting hippies is not a moral activity that you can suspend, just because the world's all blown up and whatnot.  It's the moral and ethical duty of ALL Americans, religious or not, to do so on a regular basis.  Preferably with Slayer on in the background.

Not pointing fingers at Rev here, just at the idea that his joke-post above seems to be materializing into sincerity in others.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #73 on: October 28, 2011, 06:22:30 PM »
For what it's worth, mine was a serious question. I was hoping for either an affirmation that my impression was correct or a clarification, such as "despite not stating it explicitly I do acknowledge what the cops did was wrong and do not condone it, however, I still feel no empathy for the injured party due to the significant disparity between our political views."

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #74 on: October 28, 2011, 06:23:10 PM »
yet the dirty smelly hippies would have us all in concentration camps if they could, fortunately they're not armed well enough.

Alas, the Oakland PD is run for and by progressives & liberals  That's simply how they operate - attacking people who are unarmed and simply disagreeing with them.

I've had a few friends in SF Bay area police agencies, they're typical liberal union members. Love Obama & gun control. Hard to feel really really bad for the victim,  or any of the OWS folks, they're all Obama voters and support public sector unions ... fine. ... deal with the repercussions - you wanted a strong progressive police state and you got one.