Author Topic: The Office of the President Elect  (Read 8350 times)

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Re: The Office of the President Elect
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2008, 10:14:29 PM »
"Breathe deep, the gathering gloom..."

Watch lights fade from every room...

Bedsitter people Obama voters look back and lament, another day's election's useless energy franchise spent.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2008, 10:42:15 PM »
Watch lights fade from every room...

STOP.  THAT.  RIGHT.  NOW.

No Moody Blues flashbacks. It's in the rules.  Somewhere.  Or at least it should be.

""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2008, 11:24:27 PM »
I don't recall any politician whose ego was so over the top, at least publicly. Does anyone else?

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2008, 11:34:59 PM »
I don't recall any politician whose ego was so over the top, at least publicly. Does anyone else?

I don't either, Monkeyleg.  Scary stuff, isn't it?
(That said, I wonder if LBJ was similarly egotistical out of the public eye?  No evidence of such, just that I wonder...)
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2008, 11:45:59 PM »

Yes.   Someone whom Obama is appearing to mirror quite closely...

Huey Long. 
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2008, 12:15:02 AM »
STOP.  THAT.  RIGHT.  NOW.

No Moody Blues flashbacks. It's in the rules.  Somewhere.  Or at least it should be.

Yea, especially since after hearing that tune about 2 million times now I can't stand it anymore. That and "Whiter Shade of Pale"...   =|

:laugh:
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Uncle Bubba

• friend
  • Billy Fish
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2008, 12:51:35 AM »
I don't either, Monkeyleg.  Scary stuff, isn't it?
(That said, I wonder if LBJ was similarly egotistical out of the public eye?  No evidence of such, just that I wonder...)

He was. Anecdotes abound, but I can only pull a couple from the memory banks at the moment.

Lyndon was almighty pissed about Jack Kennedy's reputation as a cocksman. He said to one of his aides, (edited for possible underage readers) "What's so great about him? I've had more [strange] by accident than he's ever got!"

One day aboard Air Force One he said to a group of aides,"Churchill's dead...de Gaulle is old...who else is there?" (thumped his chest with both hands) "Now I am king!"

It's a strange world. Some people get rich and others eat *expletive deleted*it and die. Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Quote from: Fly320s
But, generally speaking, people are idiots outside their own personal sphere.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2008, 01:04:26 AM »
Nixon, when giving orders, refered to himself as "The President" as in, "The President wants you to..."

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2008, 01:50:15 AM »
Yea, especially since after hearing that tune about 2 million times now I can't stand it anymore. That and "Whiter Shade of Pale"...   =|

:laugh:

What song is this?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2008, 07:23:01 AM »
"Knights in White Satin"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9muzyOd4Lh8

Unfortunately(?) the clip is incomplete, at the end of the tune there's a little poem following that's in narrative form and it starts, "Breathe deep the gathering gloom..."

Found it:

Breathe deep the gathering gloom,
Watch lights fade from every room.
Bedsitter people look back and lament,
Another day's useless energy spent.
Impassioned lovers wrestle as one,
Lonely man cries for love and has none.
New mother picks up and suckles her son,
Senior citizens wish they were young.

and wouldn't you know it, right there at the top of the "related" list at Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbWULu5_nXI&feature=related

I guess they're related because they've both been overplayed into suckdom.  :lol:
« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 07:33:48 AM by 280plus »

Don't care

« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2008, 08:04:08 AM »
Nixon, when giving orders, refered to himself as "The President" as in, "The President wants you to..."

Dick Nixon was also mentally ill.

Uncle Bubba

• friend
  • Billy Fish
« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2008, 08:31:35 AM »
Dick Nixon was also mentally ill.

'S funny, when I read 280's post and before I got to yours my mind was once again pondering the question, "Are people who habitually refer to themselves in the third person psychopaths?"

It's as though they're observers of their own life. If they're unable or unwilling to to refer to themselves as "I", what does that indicate about their level of consideration for the validity of anyone else's existence? Then again, they may just be self-important pr*cks.
It's a strange world. Some people get rich and others eat *expletive deleted*it and die. Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2008, 10:08:32 AM »
It's as though they're observers of their own life. If they're unable or unwilling to to refer to themselves as "I", what does that indicate about their level of consideration for the validity of anyone else's existence? Then again, they may just be self-important pr*cks.

I'll take "Self-important pr*cks for $500 Alex! =D
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2008, 10:23:17 AM »

'S funny, when I read 280's post and before I got to yours my mind was once again pondering the question, "Are people who habitually refer to themselves in the third person psychopaths?"

Any thoughts on folks who have no problems referring to themselves in the first person, but who refer to other people in the third person?   

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ToNZHG5KHw     :angel:
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Uncle Bubba

• friend
  • Billy Fish
« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2008, 11:46:38 AM »
Any thoughts on folks who have no problems referring to themselves in the first person, but who refer to other people in the third person?  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ToNZHG5KHw     :angel:

Jay-ZUS! That was...I mean...what the... :O

But then... :cool:  Should I be frightened because I really liked it?

And why isn't there ever a big ol' double-handed doobie around when I really need one? =D

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2008, 04:54:26 PM »
Just looking at pictures in this thread and a few others in the media from the last few days, I gotta ask:  Is O'Bama shrinking?  He seems to be getting smaller as time advances.  Maybe I'm viewing too much into it.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon