Author Topic: Tea time!  (Read 4837 times)

mtnbkr

• friend
Tea time!
« on: August 19, 2012, 09:54:16 AM »
Doc wants me to cut back on my coffee consumption (I drink about a pot or so a day).  He says tea is an acceptable substitute, but even that should be limited.  I've reduced the strength of my coffee and drink less of it, but I'd like to know what you guys drink tea-wise.  I'm still working my way through a large box of PG Tips I picked up in the UK.  I like the variety of loose leaf teas you can find, but have avoided them because the various steeping devices are a PITA to clean.  That is, until I found this.  Not only does this little pot make a decent amount of tea, it's easy to clean up (leaves don't stick to the strainer).  I also picked up some "International Breakfast Tea" and "Coconut Oolong" tea from the same shop.  The Coconut Oolong is good.  The International Breakfast Tea is a tad harsh, but would probably be great with cream. 

Generally, I like Earl Grey, the various "breakfast" teas, and Darjeeling.  I'll take my tea straight, with cream, with sugar, and any combination in between depending on my mood and the strength of the tea.

What teas do you guys like and where do you get it?

Chris

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Re: Tea time!
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2012, 10:00:06 AM »
The only tea I drink is Luzianne caffeinetted, sweet and cold. I get it at the grocery store and drink it in a mason jar, by God.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

grampster

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2012, 10:02:44 AM »
Pretty hard to top that item, Chris.  I usually buy varieties of flavored tea bags, using two at a time and get my hot water from our Keurig.  I've been thinking about getting some tea leaves and loading them into my Keurig accoutrement that I use for fresh ground cofee and see what happens.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2012, 10:07:57 AM »
I am a huge fan of Taylors of Harrogate Scottish Breakfast and Yorkshire Gold. They are black teas I discovered at HEB Central Market. I use loose tea, but both loose and bags are available at Amazon.

Thanks for the link to the pot. I'm currently using a Pyrex measuring cup and hand strainer.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2012, 10:08:33 AM »
I think I'd prefer a different doctor.

As for tea, I like The Republic of Tea's Earl Greyer (yes, Greyer. Even more Bergamot flavor and a stronger black tea).

Their Irish Breakfast and Darjeelings are also nice.

Last time I bought it it was at an independent coffee shop in Fairfax that has gone under.

Tazo teas are OK. Starbucks carries them.

But, for just a quick cup of tea that's available anywhere and rather inexpensive, Bigelows is more than fine.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2012, 10:32:39 AM »
Pretty hard to top that item, Chris.  I usually buy varieties of flavored tea bags, using two at a time and get my hot water from our Keurig.  I've been thinking about getting some tea leaves and loading them into my Keurig accoutrement that I use for fresh ground cofee and see what happens.

I wonder if loose leaf tea would work in the "load-yer-own" k-cup.  I would think the tea wouldn't be fine enough to extract anything in the short "steeping" time it gets in a Keurig.  That said, the K-cup English Breakfast Tea we used to get for our Keurig at work is good.  

I think I'd prefer a different doctor.

Meh, he's right though.  My acid reflux was getting worse (Prilosec 3x weekly and Tums 2-3x daily).  Until he said something about my coffee consumption, I had not made the connection between my increase in coffee consumption since my job change and the corresponding increase in acid reflux problems.  Since cutting back, it has all but gone away (still take Prilosec, but seldom need Tums).  

As for tea, I like The Republic of Tea's Earl Greyer (yes, Greyer. Even more Bergamot flavor and a stronger black tea).

Last time I bought it it was at an independent coffee shop in Fairfax that has gone under.

Tazo teas are OK. Starbucks carries them.

But, for just a quick cup of tea that's available anywhere and rather inexpensive, Bigelows is more than fine.

I've had the Earl Greyer before and like it a lot.  I'm fine with Bigelows, etc for a quick cup, but would like to try some different varieties.  Most of the truly unique teas are only available at specialty shops and as loose tea.

I am a huge fan of Taylors of Harrogate Scottish Breakfast and Yorkshire Gold. They are black teas I discovered at HEB Central Market. I use loose tea, but both loose and bags are available at Amazon.

Thanks for the link to the pot. I'm currently using a Pyrex measuring cup and hand strainer.

Thanks, I'll check those out.

Chris

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2012, 10:46:47 AM »
its hard to give up on coffee.  i did, as the caffeine screwed with my sleep patterns.  i still love the stuff and the smell of it. 

the only tea i drink is usually when i have a head cold or sore throat.  for that i prefer a lemon herbal tea.  likely not what you are looking for.

so what causes the acid reflux with coffee? ,
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2012, 10:48:33 AM »
Me, I love almost any tea that's hot. Being immune to caffeine anyway I often drink herbal teas that aren't even tea, thus no caffeine. Right now in my tool box at work is a mix of english breakfast and chai. I love chai, you maybe not so much because sometimes the cinnamon lays on acid reflux a little heavy, though not as bad as my typical coffee before bedtime.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2012, 10:57:16 AM »
so what causes the acid reflux with coffee? ,

Caffeine is the big offender, but the other components can contribute to acid reflux as well, especially if you like coffee strong like I do.

Chris

Chuck Dye

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2012, 11:00:47 AM »
I am partial to the maltier Assam teas, the main ingredient in English and Irish breakfast teas, and to the brighter, almost lemony, Darjeelings.  I frequently add just a pinch of Lapsang Souchong to the Assams.  Lapsang Souchong is the smoked tea that makes Russian caravan blends so distinctive.  

I almost always have on hand some genmaicha, the green tea with roasted brown rice and popcorn that is so common in Japanese restaurants.

Lychee black and jasmine tea are also almost always on my shelf, usually whatever brand was available in whichever oriental grocer I was shopping in at the time.  Jasmine tea may be made with black, oolong, or green tea.  I like them all but prefer the green.  (The Chinese products I buy have more Arabic script on the can than Chinese characters.)

I like the occasional addition of spice, cardamon, clove, or stick cinnamon.  I prefer the spice to be at the hint level but also run it up to sledgehammer effect.  (Many of the farm country bodegas in California will offer a brew that is just well steeped canela, the Mexican bark that is similar to, but definitely not, cinnamon.)

French press coffee pots do a fine job of brewing tea, and I will use mine when brewing for several people, but I mostly use a mesh basket or just throw the loose tea into the mug.  I find that the tea is ready to drink when the leaves have lost buoyancy and dropped to the bottom of the mug.

I bought most of my teas from specialteas.com until they disappeared, have yet to find a replacement vendor.  I enjoyed specialteas.com for their selection of teas from individual estates.

Finally, the winter favorite:  very strong Assam heavily dosed with honey, lime juice, and black rum.  An alternative is strong black tea "sweetened" only with whiskey or brandy.
Gee, I'd love to see your data!

Chuck Dye

• friend
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2012, 11:18:27 AM »
Take a look at the actual price per pound of the tea in tea bags.  Tea bags' tea can run over 20 times the price of the same tea loose.
Gee, I'd love to see your data!

grampster

• friend
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2012, 11:20:11 AM »
Chris, a bad gall bladder is, many times, misdiagnosed by MD's as acid reflux.  I was misdiagnosed with hiatal hernia when a teen ("acid reflux" pain was bad enough to go into Emergency for pain control)  I stopped smoking and that solved a lot of my problems, but when I was going through the prostate cancer thing, a fine doc also diagnosed a bad gall bladder.  I had that removed about 6 mos. after recovery from prostate removal.  Both of my son's presented the same painful symptoms as I had for many years.  Both had bad gall bladders removed.  None of us has any problems any more.
PS:  Getting a bad gall bladder diagnosis is a hard sell from doctors for some reason.
We found a surgeon who relied on symptoms and what we told him rather than "science" and "testing".
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2012, 11:29:09 AM »
We found a surgeon who relied on symptoms and what we told him rather than "science" and "testing".

a heretic? >:D
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2012, 12:06:19 PM »
"Chris, a bad gall bladder is, many times, misdiagnosed by MD's as acid reflux."

I can answer that one for him...

Chris' gall bladder was so bad that it was removed several years ago, around the same time Chris became Christine due to the surgeon's inadvertent sneeze...

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2012, 12:47:21 PM »
Don't look out the window, Mike.  I see a little girl with a scowl on her face approaching your door. :P :laugh:

C&SD, there are some good docs around.  You just gotta find 'em.  This guy told my youngest son that all the tests indicated no bad gall bladder.  But, he said he had a prof in med school that said that science is good, but it is not a be all or end all.  He said the prof taught that you should listen very carefully to your patient and the patient will actually tell you what the problem is.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2012, 12:48:39 PM »
PS:  Getting a bad gall bladder diagnosis is a hard sell from doctors for some reason.

Mike beat me to it, but my gall bladder was removed 7 years ago.  My gall bladder issue was pretty easy to diagnose.  The symptoms weren't severe, but I have a family history of bad gallbladders (mom, both surviving grandparents, and brother).  With that history and my symptoms, all the doc needed was to confirm with a couple tests (sonogram and the radioactive dye test).  Both showed minor gall bladder issues, so they removed it in 2005.

Around the same time, I was diagnosed with GERD, confirmed by a barium upper GI test.  I've been on Prilosec ever since (first as a prescription, then OTC).  I was prescribed 40mg a day, but I weaned down to 20mg/day, then 20mg 3x weekly.  That seems to work as long as I don't overdo it with known reflux triggers such as coffee, chocolate, etc.  It's important to me and my doc to take as little Prilosec as possible because it can leach calcium from your bones if used over the long term.   Not only that, but you need a certain amount of acid to protect against infection.  However, uncontrolled acid reflux can cause esophageal cancer, so I'm walking a fine line between too much medicine and not enough.  

Chris

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2012, 01:01:40 PM »
C&SD, there are some good docs around.  You just gotta find 'em.

i agree i've had several  the best went and left to work on the navajo rez  the self centered son of a gun.  some of my doctors get a kick outa me. when they aren't mad at me.  i hear "YOU WHAT?!!! " a lot   i'm not sure why  it could be using vet meds or it might be doing my own stitches. i draw the line at stitching up the kids
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2012, 01:12:41 PM »

Thanks Mike. Been looking for some good Earl Grey and your suggestion should fit the bill.

http://www.republicoftea.com/product.aspx?p=V00583
« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 05:07:35 PM by Sergeant Bob »
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2012, 01:24:30 PM »
Doc wants me to cut back on my coffee consumption (I drink about a pot or so a day).

I'm down to 1 16oz. cup per day.  Any more, and ultimately my sleep will suffer, and my wits.  And I need my wits to make my living.

He says tea is an acceptable substitute, but even that should be limited.  I've reduced the strength of my coffee and drink less of it, but I'd like to know what you guys drink tea-wise.  I'm still working my way through a large box of PG Tips I picked up in the UK.  I like the variety of loose leaf teas you can find, but have avoided them because the various steeping devices are a PITA to clean.  That is, until I found this.  Not only does this little pot make a decent amount of tea, it's easy to clean up (leaves don't stick to the strainer).

Sure, looks good.

I also picked up some "International Breakfast Tea" and "Coconut Oolong" tea from the same shop.  The Coconut Oolong is good.  The International Breakfast Tea is a tad harsh, but would probably be great with cream.  

Generally, I like Earl Grey, the various "breakfast" teas, and Darjeeling.  I'll take my tea straight, with cream, with sugar, and any combination in between depending on my mood and the strength of the tea.

What teas do you guys like and where do you get it?

Chris

Lipton loose tea.  For iced, I pour a pitcher full of water, right up to the top, then put the appropriate ammount of loose tea in a metal strainer and prop it up on the rim, and let it steep.  No heating or anything.  Works fine.

I seldom drink hot tea.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 07:07:54 PM by lee n. field »
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2012, 03:24:48 PM »
Chris,  I've also go Barretts oesophogus and take 20 mg of Omeprozole (prilosec) a day. 
I like putting a couple of tablespoons of honey in my tea.

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2012, 06:19:39 PM »
i draw the line at stitching up the kids
So, do you super glue them back together or do you have a medical stapler? :laugh:
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2012, 07:18:56 PM »
Tl;dr.

That said, I get my loose leaf tea from Kobos.com (and have for 15 years).  They have the best price for the quality I have found.  Did not follow the link in the OP but I use a French Press for making my tea.  That or just put the leaves in a tea pot and the strain it when I pour ir.
Formerly sumpnz

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2012, 12:18:36 AM »
With the hot weather since May, the tea's gone untouched.  This afternoon I dumped the dinghy and had to swim around in 30 feet of water and muscle it up in 15 knot winds. As soon as the breeze was back on my face, I knew what I wanted.    I got home, showered and enjoyed a strong black puerh. 
Puerh is an aged, compressed tea (sold as single serving cakes or as larger cakes you can chip a chunk of off and toss in a pot or a steeper) that can brew blood red to a coffee-like black.
http://www.teasource.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=TeaSource&Category_Code=Puerh
I'm not into the "cave aged" or "pre millenium" puerhs, I just like a deep complex brew.   
That stuff has spoiled me, and before October I'll be stocking up.

I like a cup of Lapsang Souchong in the winter. 
It's a black tea, like your Earl Grey, however it's not blended -  and the leaves are dried over a pine fire giving it a strong, smoky flavor.  The smell puts my mind in a place far away, maybe another lifetime.  It's has a real seductive masculine smell to it.  Indescribable, the closest comparison is the pine resin used on old wooden Nordic skis - but different.

Twining's offers standard bags in an orange box, but you may have to search for it. 
I've been getting the Twining's at a small boutique wine, liquor, and candy store about four blocks away.
I'm planning  to order some bulk from a tea merchant for comparison.

7-11 was a part time job.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2012, 01:52:45 AM »
I don't drink tea very often, but when I do I usually drink regular black tea with sugar, Splenda or honey for sweetening. I'll drink it hot or cold, doesn't matter too much.

I can't stand green tea. I think I've tried Earl Grey but didn't like it either.

Not sure if I've tried oolong or not. I've heard people call the stuff you get from Chinese restaurants oolong, but it tastes a lot like regular black tea.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

brimic

• friends
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2012, 08:55:47 AM »
An oldy but goody..

"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama