Author Topic: I scare broadcasters  (Read 3622 times)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
I scare broadcasters
« on: April 08, 2013, 03:17:06 PM »
http://news.yahoo.com/broadcasters-worry-zero-tv-homes-154357101--finance.html

Good, simply because it keeps some of the trash and filth out of my house, and diminishes their perceived power and influence.  Between the MSM and Hollyweird, whatever I can do to weaken their hold on the reins of power, I will do.

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: I scare broadcasters
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 03:19:26 PM »
Count me among the cord-cutters.

Never been more happy with my electronic entertainment than when I abandoned cable/satellite/DVR and just went on-demand, online, and said "screw it" to the rest.

Once sports are available live online, conventional TV is dead.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 03:56:11 PM »
This

Cable free for nearly two years
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 04:01:44 PM »
Lets see.  They hate me, they hate and mock my beliefs and way of life at every chance.  Hmmm.

Winning back the Zero TV crowd will be one of the many issues broadcasters discuss at their national meeting, called the NAB Show, taking place this week in Las Vegas.

They wouldn't like my suggestions.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2013, 04:04:29 PM »
Roommate still has a TV, but we don't get cable service.  Haven't for three years.

Your environment influences you.  People are malleable by external stimuli by varying degrees; it's important keep tabs on what you let in and for what duration.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2013, 04:27:33 PM »
It has been so long, I can not remember the number of years.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2013, 04:35:27 PM »
No T.V. here since *looks at calendar* June 2005. Not missing it a whit.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2013, 04:41:04 PM »
I am seriously considering taking this plunge. Already streaming Netflix. Just trying to decide if I can get past doing without some of the stuff/shows I'm habituated to.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2013, 04:57:26 PM »
No cable service regularly since 1999. Had dish for 3 months when i came home from the .mil, cancelled due to paying $$$ to watch maybe 30 min a day. Have a TV now for DVDs, mainly Looney Tunes. I recently made my first foray into online watching, trialed a subscription site I didn't like, but watched Zulu all the same while I was there. Found a foreign live stream of the F1 race since NBC sports sucks giant balls and was not carried by the cable provider where I was, or most any cable provider without extra cost. I may never buy TV service again.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2013, 05:51:08 PM »
Count me among the cord-cutters.

Never been more happy with my electronic entertainment than when I abandoned cable/satellite/DVR and just went on-demand, online, and said "screw it" to the rest.

QFT. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2013, 06:14:12 PM »
ESPN3 is already starting to do that. I stream some of the American LeMans races from ESPN3 on my XBox. Works pretty well when ESPN has the distribution contract, not so well when Nascar channel Speed channel has it.
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2013, 06:28:31 PM »
Left my tiny tv at my parents' place when I moved out 7 years ago. In the years before I moved out, I didn't watch much tv either. I can hardly watch movies or tv shows nowadays. Mind wanders off to things I'd rather do, usually reading. Have Netflix though, ususally use it to watch Mythbusters. Those kind of shows are about the only thing I can stand watching. I wonder if Top Gear is available...
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2013, 06:37:08 PM »
ESPN3 is already starting to do that. I stream some of the American LeMans races from ESPN3 on my XBox. Works pretty well when ESPN has the distribution contract, not so well when Nascar channel Speed channel has it.

"The Ocho" may be streaming squirrel-skiing and subregional Dodgeball qualifier matches, but your typical NFL/NBA/MLB/NHL stuff isn't streaming.

The only one I marginally follow is the NHL, and I've given up on the other pro sports... the NHL has a Roku channel and also shows up on Blu-ray internet enabled consoles, and it's a pay subscription basis... but it does regional blackouts just like broadcast or even cable.

I believe the regional blackout is based upon your billing information, so you can't bounce your IP address off of the TOR network or something and appear to be coming from 1000 miles away to catch your home team from your living room.  The blackouts are more restrictive on the web app than if you have Dish/DirectTV and their umpteen billion channels, and just flip over to the "other team's" feed from their metro area.  That'll work sometimes.

I think the NFL and NBA will be the pivot leagues.  MLB and NHL not so much.  Once the blackout issue can be dodged, or someone figures out a convenient way to resell an NFL/NBA package while offering "bandwidth buffering" from Bumbleskank, South Dakota, so that the leagues cannot perform IP geolocation detection and block out local viewers to boost ticket sales... TV will die in a matter of months.  It'll take 1 Superbowl.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2013, 06:40:18 PM »
Left my tiny tv at my parents' place when I moved out 7 years ago. In the years before I moved out, I didn't watch much tv either. I can hardly watch movies or tv shows nowadays. Mind wanders off to things I'd rather do, usually reading. Have Netflix though, ususally use it to watch Mythbusters. Those kind of shows are about the only thing I can stand watching. I wonder if Top Gear is available...
Yes, Top Gear UK is available seasons 2-18, at least here in the US.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2013, 06:40:34 PM »
I seem to be the only one here that *hearts* my tv.

But I can (often do) go without.

Although, I've never lived in a house that pays for tv. I had an ex with On Demand cable which makes me think, should I ever have the means, I'm totally going with netflix and hulu instead of any cable.
Anytime I have unfettered access to cable I get more annoyed then entertained. I usually just end up watching channels that play reruns rather then even trying to find something new to watch. If you can miss a half an hour program, because that's how long it takes to get through the guide, you have too many channels.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2013, 07:19:37 PM »
I still have an antenna hooked up, but since they switched to digital I get 2 or 3 channels. Every once in a while I'll go through them and remember why I usually don't bother.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2013, 07:26:31 PM »
Except for a few months in 1991*, I haven't had a TV since I left home about 40 years ago.

We do have a machine that can play vhs/dvd, and quite a collection by now.

I did watch it quite a bit when stuck in a hotel room far from home.  =(

* Somebody gave us one, and I got pretty wrapped up in the gulf war coverage.  The killer was when we and the kids were watching Sound of Music one Sunday afternoon, and they started showing very explicit and violent previews of the late night movies  :facepalm:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2013, 07:37:33 PM »

Some sports are available live online but the visual quality sucks, that is mainly the reason we have Directv. Most of the college teams I like to follow are on one of the sports networks.

Wife and I have talked about killing everything but local on the air channels, doing netflicks/hulu/etc, but that would mean spending every Saturday in a bar watching football or at a friend's game day party or buying season tickets. Probably save more money in the long run keeping Directv.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Lee

• friend
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2013, 09:30:33 PM »
If my kids didn't watch a few shows, our TV would be on maybe an hour a day for morning and evening news.
It's pretty sad when shows about storage wars, pawn shops, under water logging, logging, and duck callers  are the cream of the TV crop.

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2013, 09:43:11 PM »
Never had cable/satellite tv. All the tv gets used for is sports (Packers - never blacked out) and movies on dvd. I just upgraded my Amazon membership to Prime for the on-demand Star Trek and 24. Between dvd movies and what I now have available on Amazon I have more tv than I have time to watch.
Andy

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2013, 10:02:13 PM »
Winning back the Zero TV crowd will be one of the many issues broadcasters discuss at their national meeting, called the NAB Show, taking place this week in Las Vegas.

Let's see.

Stop streaming stuff for free on the internets?

Stop canceling good shows.

Quit thinking it's smart and sophisticated to have your sitcom characters talk about genitalia. Think about this logically. How many people do you think are going to tune out, because Zooey Deschanel did NOT say "penis"?

Try making fewer sitcoms about young people in New York City.

Try making fewer police dramas where everyone says everything in the most totally hippest way.

Kill the laugh track. Kill it in the face.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2013, 10:42:08 PM »
Let's see.

Quit thinking it's smart and sophisticated to have your sitcom characters talk about genitalia. Think about this logically. How many people do you think are going to tune out, because Zooey Deschanel did NOT say "penis"?

Try making fewer police dramas where everyone says everything in the most totally hippest way.

Keep it to yourself.

I WANT them to die.
I promise not to duck.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2013, 11:36:34 PM »
Let's see.

Make a sitcom about people that constantly rag on New York City.

Make a police drama about cops that aren't statist doooshbags focused on lawnorder and instead on peace and justice. 

Firefly season 2.  Yes, Wash and Book are dead.  It's okay.

Knock off the gorram spot placement advertisements.  "24" started the new era of it with Cisco, and it all snowballed from there.  "Top Shot" was effing awful at it.  "BAYASSSSS PROw SHAWP." ;/  All the crap reality shows are overladen with it, but it's even in "The Office" and other sitcoms.  Even "Big Bang Theory."

And frankly... just make good TV that I'm willing to buy a la carte, either as a full season in a box at a store, or on a per-episode basis online.  But eff your commercials, and eff your product placement, and eff your 4321 channels of nothing on.
--Lysander Spooner

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2013, 12:24:39 AM »
Knock off the gorram spot placement advertisements.  "24" started the new era of it with Cisco, and it all snowballed from there.  "Top Shot" was effing awful at it.  "BAYASSSSS PROw SHAWP." ;/  All the crap reality shows are overladen with it, but it's even in "The Office" and other sitcoms.  Even "Big Bang Theory."

This actually is one of the few things I LOVE.

1. Because it's direct evidence that shows they're desperate, and technology/DVR's, cable/satellite/streaming "narrowcasting" is indeed slowly killing the MSM and their traditional revenue streams.  =D

2. There's a teeny kernel of nostalgia involved. It harkens back to the day when it was "THIS IS YOUR LIFE BROUGHT TO YOU BY VITALIS POMADE CREAM!" in the 1950's when they were still trying to figure out the profit model for broadcast TV.

The thing that DOES irritate me are the mini commercials they now do to try and trip up DVR users who are fast-forwarding. Getting funky commerical timings, or actually doing commercials with the actors in the show you're watching to trick you into stopping, and interrupt your skipping.

However, even that makes me grin a bit, because it goes back to #1 above.  Desperation. =)
I promise not to duck.

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2013, 12:29:35 AM »
I cut the TV cord in 2004.
I had satellite, the only thing that worked way out in the boonies.
First, all my favorite TV shows came to an end (Buffy, Angel).
Next, I refused to pay for junk I didn't want, like MTV.
Finally, I figured if the show was any good, it would come out on DVD. I'm fine with this.

I used to think that if they came out with a way for me to pick & choose what channels I wanted, I'd be willing to pay for TV again. But now, nope. No longer interested.

Now all I have to do is avoid the temptation to read any Walking Dead threads until season 3 comes out on DVD.
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).