Author Topic: I scare broadcasters  (Read 3625 times)

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
Re: I scare broadcasters
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2013, 12:39:15 AM »
Found a foreign live stream of the F1 race since NBC sports sucks giant balls and ...

I am interested in subscribing to your newsletter.
Formerly sumpnz

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2013, 01:12:14 AM »
First, all my favorite TV shows came to an end (Buffy, Angel).

Indeed!  You can watch them for free if you have Amazon Prime.

These days I can stomach Grimm and Castle on Hulu and that is about it. 

Had cay-buhl teevee while on vacation a few weeeks back.  Best thing on was some Mennonite-ish folks getting drunk and racing 4-wheelers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAlDbP4tdqc
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2013, 01:16:43 AM »
Keep it to yourself.

I WANT them to die.

I guess I'd be OK with that. Hadn't really thought about it. What do you think would happen, then? New TV networks, or would everything just be online?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2013, 01:19:17 AM »
Never had cable or satellite at home, when I was growing up classmates thought I was wierd/poor because I didn't share in their favorite pasttime of plunking down in front of the TV and watching hours and hours of TV per day. I vastly preferred to crack open a good book or be outside doing something.

Still to this day we do not have cable or satellite. Newest TV in the house was made in the late '80s. It's hooked up to an antenna for over the air reception. Gets mainly used by Dad when he watches a little bit of TV during supper. I don't watch it myself.

I do watch a few shows on my laptop through Hulu. The only show I actually follow is Chicago Fire.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2013, 01:39:15 AM »
There should be a reality show about people who have trouble sleeping...

I just watched a short clip of a show called "LA Shrinks." It was so silly, I assumed it must be mockumentary. But Wikipedia says it is just another reality show.

And they wonder why we don't watch.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2013, 09:59:17 AM »
I am actually AT the NAB show right now...talking about...online sports.
You'd be surprised what broadcasters really think ;)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2013, 10:09:48 AM »

Do enlighten us.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2013, 10:34:01 AM »

birdman

• friend
« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2013, 11:05:00 AM »

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2013, 11:20:35 AM »
Related:

http://m.washingtonpost.com/business/technology/as-aereo-threatens-to-alter-tv-landscape-major-networks-promise-a-fight/2013/04/08/adc01b52-a077-11e2-be47-b44febada3a8_story.html?hpid=z3

A company called Aaero is grabbing the broadcast signal, and streaming it online.

Ooh, sneaky.  I like it.

I'm sure a person could set up a private "darknet" with like-minded people, using a low powered mini PC to record 1-2 channels with a TV tuner card and storing a weeks' worth of prime time content for those channels, other people doing it in their homes for a different 1-2 channels, and getting the whole ABC/CBS/NBC/FOX/whatever broadcast system stored into a home network web ring.  Some dynamic DNS, some Plex Media Server account trust delegations, and bam!  Broadcast on-demand DVR for all members of the web ring.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2013, 12:13:50 PM »

Yes.  Do tell.

Let's see.  We're cattle to them, who should be forced to keep the telescreen on in every room.  The next big reality show will get content from hijacking webcams. 
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2013, 12:24:25 PM »
Related:

http://m.washingtonpost.com/business/technology/as-aereo-threatens-to-alter-tv-landscape-major-networks-promise-a-fight/2013/04/08/adc01b52-a077-11e2-be47-b44febada3a8_story.html?hpid=z3

A company called Aaero is grabbing the broadcast signal, and streaming it online.

“If Aereo’s model is ultimately upheld,” Stifel Nicolaus analysts Christopher King and David Kaut wrote in a recent note, it could force “the broadcast/content companies to seek Congressional relief.”

Translated: Our business model has been rendered obsolescent by the march of technology.  Rather than invest in new ways to please people and convince them to give us money willingly for our products, we will instead invest in politicians in the hopes that thay will use men with guns prop up our increasingly uncompetitive business with threats of violence.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2013, 12:25:18 PM »
Translated: Our business model has been rendered obsolescent by the march of technology.  Rather than invest in new ways to please people and convince them to give us money willingly for our products, we will instead invest in politicians in the hopes that thay will use men with guns prop up our increasingly uncompetitive business with threats of violence.

You guys rock. =D
--Lysander Spooner

HankB

• friend
« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2013, 12:26:54 PM »
. . .  The next big reality show will get content from hijacking webcams. 
My company-issue laptop came with a built-in webcam. First thing I did was put a piece of electrical tape over it.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

birdman

• friend
« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2013, 12:36:30 PM »

Yup.  Which is why my company is based around providing something people would gladly fork over money for.

In fact, most people we have surveyed were like "make this so I can give you ALL THE MONEY"

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2013, 07:01:45 PM »
Regarding Aereo:

Last I cared to research the matter, it was 100% A-OK legal to record a broadcast show in its entirety and redistribute it as long as the commercials were intact.  This was back in the VHS days of the 90's though.  Pro sports had their audio blurb about redistribution without express consent in any form, but that was it.

Anyone know the current status in regards to recording broadcast stuff and giving it away to others?  Did DMCA change this, or does that only apply to music and movies?
--Lysander Spooner