Author Topic: anyone else watching Jericho?  (Read 4482 times)

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
Re: anyone else watching Jericho?
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2006, 08:32:58 AM »
That is why I still like Jericho. It does have a very unique premise. Attempting to deal, even semi-realisticaly, with a limited nuclear attack is pretty original. Other than "The Day After" which was realy a made for TV movie, I can't even think of a telivision series that came close.

As long as there's no MZB's being chased by left hand drive GT Ford Falcons, it'll be okay.  grin
I promise not to duck.

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2006, 02:38:36 PM »
I hadn't watched any of the episodes yet so last night I watched the first 8 on the Internet, and the 9th this morning.

I could just nitpick all the technical mistakes (and there are a lot), but really, you have to give the writers a certain amount of creative freedom.

I give it a thumbs up.
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2007, 08:11:32 PM »
What did y'all think of the latest episode of Jericho?
Andy

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2007, 12:17:37 AM »
I didn't like the insinuation that some kind of "patriot" militia
was behind the bombings.
It's as if Hollywood thinks that if we just beat ourselves up that jihadist will just leave us alone.
Same problem I had with that lame movie "child of man".
Liberals see a bad man with a gun so they ban the gun, not the bad man.
I am so sick of political correctness being shoved down my throat in the guise of entertainment.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2007, 01:39:26 AM »
I didn't like the insinuation that some kind of "patriot" militia
was behind the bombings.
It's as if Hollywood thinks that if we just beat ourselves up that jihadist will just leave us alone.
Same problem I had with that lame movie "child of man".
Liberals see a bad man with a gun so they ban the gun, not the bad man.
I am so sick of political correctness being shoved down my throat in the guise of entertainment.
We don't know that the group isn't jihadist islam converts....
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Ron

« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2007, 03:48:47 AM »
Looks like it is a military coup or something along those lines. Who else would have access to the satellite they used to show the guy playing with his kid in the yard?

HankB

• friend
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2007, 03:54:57 AM »
I suspect the producers or the network required "politically correct" villains . . . notice that the (mostly) white guys delivered their bombs, the black guy (Hawkins) didn't blow up Columbus but rescued his family instead . . . it wouldn't surprise me if the bombers turn out to be neonazis who've infiltrated our government and have been running our brutal, illegal & immoral policies for years, and have grown impatient with the pesky little obstacles in their way (like the Constitution) as they try to reform America.  rolleyes

(When they made Tom Clancy's The Sum of All Fears into a movie, the same mentality was at work when they made the villians modern neonazis instead of the Arab fanatics of the book.)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2007, 05:11:44 AM »
After Wednesday's episode it was pretty clear the villians are some "right wing conservative" group.  Those are almost the only kind of bad guys Hollywood will portray these days.
I am betting the missile launch will turn out to have been done by a conservative administration, and it will have been against an innocent country.  The EMP burst was in retaliation for those nuke shots.
The  earlier dropping of supplies with Chinese markings will turn out to be opportunism on their part.
I used to be interested in the show.  After Wednesday, seeing how the plot line is taking a typical Hollywood PC direction, it is losing its appeal.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

xsquidgator

« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2008, 03:35:07 PM »
So, anyone watched the show recently (today is 3-12-08)?  I started watching a month or so ago when they started playing the first season's episodes on SciFi, and now we're DVRing the new episodes when they come on Tuesday nights.  Just watched episode 29 or 30 where the townspeople finally string up Goetz.  Good stuff.

By coincidence I've been re-reading Unintended Consequences the last couple of weeks (just got into the really good part last 1/3 or so) and the similarities between that and "occupied Jericho" really have me going.  You know, when it's time to bury 'em it's time to dig 'em up kind of stuff.  Anyone else get good and worked up watching this?

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2008, 05:12:29 PM »
It is definitely getting better. Smiley

Chris

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2008, 06:19:52 PM »
its been a long time since I watched, political correctness of last year made me return to reading yet again.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2008, 06:22:28 PM »
It is definitely getting better. Smiley

Chris

Agreed.  I've started watching again.  The writing seems a little tighter, the stories more interesting.
Not great TV, but more watchable and more enjoyable than the first season.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

SomeKid

« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2008, 08:05:25 PM »
It's like the writers are screaming "WOO HOO! LOOK AT THE BIG SECRETS WE"RE NOT TELLING YOU!  WOOOOOOOAH! TUNE IN NEXT WEEK!" They're just telegraphing it so hard, trying to compete with LOST&
Exactly. (As for Lost . . . aside from the silliness of the BIG unseen monster that was eating people, I quit watching Lost when the group was attacked by a polar bear in the jungle and were OUTRAGED that the guy who saved them used a GUN they felt he shouldn't have had . . . and then he let himself be disarmed.)

An armed man, let unarmed people disarm him, after he saved their lives? You joke, right?

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2008, 01:51:36 AM »
IIRC, they were outraged because he stole the gun and he let them have it because it was empty anyway.  No ammo means the gun is no more useful than a rock.  Lots of rocks on the island...

Chris

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2008, 01:53:08 AM »
its been a long time since I watched, political correctness of last year made me return to reading yet again.

It's a lot less PC this year.  The main characters are starting to talk about concepts such as freedom, oppression, etc.  Without getting into much detail, this week's episode had them dealing with their main oppressor. Smiley

Chris

HankB

• friend
« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2008, 03:35:22 AM »
The coming attractions imply Major Beck is going to hammer Jake and the towns of both New Bern and Jericho because Goetz finally got what was coming to him.

Of course, Goetz had already been FIRED by Ravenwood (and their employer, J&R) for embezzling funds, so I don't know what the problem is here. And it's not clear why Jake & Jericho are going to be punished, since Beck found Goetz strung up at New Bern.

Maybe they need to come up with some reason to have a car chase with a nuke . . . time for "willing suspension of disbelief" again.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain