Author Topic: TOO RICH  (Read 3317 times)

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
Re: TOO RICH
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2016, 02:01:34 PM »

I'd prefer an island over any big boat. If needed boat, would pick something well armed but inconspicuous.

If I had to go Bond villain, I'd buy a Kilo class sub. Or a decommissioned aircraft carrier, rename it to "The Raft". Acrylic hull? No thank you.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2016, 03:09:40 PM »
Or a decommissioned aircraft carrier, rename it to "The Raft".

So something like:

=D =D
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2016, 04:43:55 PM »
I would hope you could afford an oil tanker in better condition than that.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2016, 01:28:06 PM »
Country code for the number on the website is Austrian. Isn't Austria landlocked?

First test of skill is piloting a 900ft boat along either the Rhine or the Danube.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2016, 01:43:16 PM »
The seals and whatnot to keep a helicopter hangar dry under even just a few feet of water have got to be a PITA to maintain.
I promise not to duck.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2016, 05:50:49 PM »
Depends on the size of the helo.
US subs routinely carry "bolt on" garages for everything from SEALS to *expletive deleted*it I still can't talk about that stays nice and dry.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2016, 06:05:42 PM »

I'm guessing not small enough to go through a typical hand-operated hatch.

US subs routinely carry "bolt on" garages for everything from SEALS to *expletive deleted*it I still can't talk about that stays nice and dry.

Yeah, but do they open and close automatically, with doors as big as what's shown on those subs?  Heck, just keeping everything in pretty good alignment would have a maintenance team busy 24x7.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2016, 06:06:42 PM »
How does the sub handle mud?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2016, 06:07:59 PM »

Yes they do, quite successfully, but the US DOD isn't really known for "Budget friendly repair and replacement parts" or "Easy maintenance that can be performed at the owner/crew level".

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2016, 06:39:14 PM »
How does the sub handle mud?

Couldn't find a Migaloo on 3D Warehouse, so I just scaled up an Akula to 283m for reference.  I'm betting it won't sink in that.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2016, 06:50:35 PM »
Yes they do, quite successfully, but the US DOD isn't really known for "Budget friendly repair and replacement parts" or "Easy maintenance that can be performed at the owner/crew level".
Honestly, luxury yachts are not really known for being budget friendly either.  They are status symbols not profit centers.  From what I hear, most of the big surface yachts already have pop out pools and doors that open up to release smaller boats and such. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2016, 07:02:30 PM »
There's "not budget friendly", and there's "The purchase cost of one of those private super yachts in maintenance every 5 years."

I'm not exaggerating.  You can buy a new 154ft super yacht, rigged, with engines for about 13 mil.  One of the places that builds them is near me in Tampa.  The US Army's crappy 174ft Landing Craft costs us right at 4 mil every 3 years in scheduled shipyard maintenance. That's not counting any extra dents we may have put in it.  It would not shock me at all to learn that a 688i had 50-75mil in scheduled cyclic maintenance every 3-5 years. 

That removable dry dock RKL mentioned?  Probably twice a super yacht's price just to buy that one little pod.  And a complete refit after every mission.

The DOD spends stupid ridiculous money on maintenance and upkeep of our toys.  But that's why they work well, and tend to be pretty close to the bleeding edge.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2016, 07:36:45 PM »
If I had to go Bond villain, I'd buy a Kilo class sub. Or a decommissioned aircraft carrier, rename it to "The Raft". Acrylic hull? No thank you.
You'll listen to Reason.  Anyway, I think you would rather be a Hiro than a villain.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2016, 08:17:59 PM »
You'll listen to Reason.  Anyway, I think you would rather be a Hiro than a villain.

I really want the pizza delivery car.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2016, 12:02:52 AM »
Honestly, luxury yachts are not really known for being budget friendly either.  They are status symbols not profit centers.  From what I hear, most of the big surface yachts already have pop out pools and doors that open up to release smaller boats and such.  

Like the Abigail in FEAR THE WALKING DEAD. [popcorn]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

birdman

• friend
« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2016, 08:38:05 AM »

The real measure is how deep the fractal boat deployment is.
I saw a yacht that had a substantial sized tender on it, which had a smaller boat on it, and a RHIB on that.
So we called that a 3rd level yacht.
If they put a small jet ski on the RHIB, it would be 4th level.
Getting to 5th is -hard-...you'd probably need a cruise ship or LHD to make that work.