Author Topic: Much to my surprise, a new job  (Read 2878 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Much to my surprise, a new job
« on: March 05, 2020, 07:48:33 AM »
After I found my last job a couple years ago at age 58, I had pretty much resigned myself to working there until retirement.  I like where I am and what I do, even though it is way under my skillset, but the four-hour and 90 mile round trip commute to Seattle several days a week was wearing on me.  I had chatted with a few employers since, but discovered that age discrimination is a real thing, and few people want to hire an older white male in a female-dominated healthcare profession.  'Overqualified' and 'we can't afford you' is what I heard most often, and I was never sure if this was the case, because I do have 35 years + experience in my field, degrees up the wazoo, and my minimum salary is commensurate with qualifications, or it was a proxy for age discrimination. I am pretty sure a lot of these potential employers looked at my age, calculated how long I would likely be working, and decided it would not be worth the effort.

A couple of months ago, my wife and I were at a restaurant, and I waved at one of my risk management colleagues from the local hospital who was there with her husband.  She came running over, grabbed me, and told me she had just heard of a new position that was going to be posted, I would be perfect for it, and I should apply immediately.  This is with a very large multi-state healthcare organization, and I had in fact worked for this organization several years ago as a corporate risk manager at the corporate offices.  More to the point, this position would be with the medical group division, and the office would be 25 miles from my home.

So the position was posted, and I applied for it, even though I was overqualified, and was not a nurse, as per the job description.  After three panel interviews, I was pleasantly surprised when the recruiter called last night and offered me the position.  I start at the end of March.  It is a substantial increase in pay and benefits over my current job and the commute will be 35 minutes or so each way, and I can ride my motorcycle to work in the good weather. I will also continue working directly with patients and providers, which I prefer over working strictly in the insurance and legal arenas.

So here I am, at age 60, setting off on a new venture.  I had planned to pull the plug and retire at age 62 in my current job, but if I like the new position, I may just keep working until 65 or 67.  If I don't like it, I will just retire period.

The other thing that was interesting to me was the power of networking. My one colleague thought of me when she heard about the position, my references spoke well of me, and I had scads of colleagues in the local area contacting the chief medical officer and CEO of the medical group division singing my praises. They interviewed several candidates but I was the overwhelming favorite of the interview teams.  I was humbled and impressed by how networking worked in my favor.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Much to my surprise, a new job
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2020, 07:53:01 AM »
Nice! Congrats on the white patriarchy privilege, you villain, you.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2020, 08:09:12 AM »
Congratulations, but you should feel bad about this!

You have taken a job from a more deserving marginally educated person of color with a questionable gender identity.

Going to miss all of those "dear patient" letters you post...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2020, 08:17:41 AM »
Congratulations MillCreek.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2020, 08:45:06 AM »
Congrats Millckreek! Sounds like a great job, and the cut in commute time is worth a lot!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2020, 09:19:38 AM »
Changing jobs/companies every few years is such a weird concept to me.  I'm pretty much stuck with my company until I'm forced out due to retirement or furlough.  I've been here 19 years and can work another 14 before mandatory retirement.

It's pretty cool that you can change jobs like that and keep or increase you salary.  Congratulations on the new job.  Sounds like you earned it.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2020, 09:30:15 AM »
Changing jobs/companies every few years is such a weird concept to me.  I'm pretty much stuck with my company until I'm forced out due to retirement or furlough.  I've been here 19 years and can work another 14 before mandatory retirement.

It's pretty cool that you can change jobs like that and keep or increase you salary.  Congratulations on the new job.  Sounds like you earned it.

After I left the law firm, I was in my first professional job for almost 19 years.  I have had so many HR and recruiting people tell me that I hurt my career by staying so long in one place. They say that if you are not moving up, you should be moving to a new job and/or a new city every 3-5 years, since that is the only way to get salary increases any more.  Perhaps this is the way of the future in today's economy.  I can see doing this if you are in a profession with lots of openings, or are young, single and mobile.  Once you start accumulating houses, spouses with their own career, and children, or are in a profession with few openings, it is not quite so easy to pull up stakes and move on. In my profession, there are maybe 1-3 jobs in Western Washington at any one time, and none at the executive level.

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2020, 09:33:40 AM »
In the airline pilot world changing jobs means starting at the bottom of pay and seniority.  Once we get a decent job at a decent company, we get kind of stuck here.  I can't complain, though, I get paid well to do little.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2020, 09:36:03 AM »
Congrats!  Better pay and better commute is a tough combo to achieve.
Formerly sumpnz

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2020, 09:44:28 AM »
Wow. Nice!

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2020, 09:46:29 AM »
Changing jobs/companies every few years is such a weird concept to me.  I'm pretty much stuck with my company until I'm forced out due to retirement or furlough.  I've been here 19 years and can work another 14 before mandatory retirement.

It's pretty cool that you can change jobs like that and keep or increase you salary.  Congratulations on the new job.  Sounds like you earned it.

Been at my current job 10 years this Sunday.  Before this longest I stayed at any job was 3.5 years.  I'm actually pretty surprised I've stuck it out this long.  Nearly left 4 years in.  Been actively looking for the last 2-3 years, but with Boeing not hiring much it's been tough.  Could leave in a month if the wife was willing to move to a new region of the country.  Without that willingness I'm pretty limited in opportunities.  Though I did find a posting at Microsoft I'm qualified for that I'll apply for today.  It would pay a lot more but I'd go from a 50 minute round trip commute to about 5 hours round trip.
Formerly sumpnz

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2020, 09:47:53 AM »
Congratulations!
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2020, 09:51:16 AM »
"Changing jobs/companies every few years is such a weird concept to me.  I'm pretty much stuck with my company until I'm forced out due to retirement or furlough.  I've been here 19 years and can work another 14 before mandatory retirement."

Tell me about it. I was with SAIC for just over 20 years and was perfectly content to spend another 20 there, but then my contract ended and I couldn't find anything else inside the company, so I had to jump.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2020, 10:20:42 AM »
My nephew is a 30 year old self-described 'code monkey' currently working at Microsoft in Redmond.  In the last five years, I think he has worked at seven or eight different places and the longest stay was nine months.  Most of the time, the job ended, and he had to move on. He now an actual FTE employed by Microsoft, and he has hopes that this will be a longer-term position.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2020, 10:55:54 AM »
I know people who have made a career out of that crap, and there's no way that I could. I'd go nuts.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2020, 11:26:58 AM »
Congrats!
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

HankB

• friend
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2020, 11:34:07 AM »
Congrats to you.

And thanks for the background information, too - it brightened my day and I got a good chuckle out of reading about a 60 year old RISK MANAGER who rides a motorcycle!  :rofl:
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2020, 11:35:32 AM »
Congratulations, buy some rain gear, ride to work every day! It's not like you get ice on the roads over there often.

Now some poor female (chosen preferential pronoun) nurse of color will have to continue being exposed to all of the diseases brought into a hospital because you used your white male arrogance and applied for a job where you did not meet the requirements yet somehow allowed the hiring body to choose you. A failure at all points of the process.

Sometimes it pays off to swim out of your lane a bit.

Just the commute difference would be enough for me I think. I go crazy in traffic anymore.

bob

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2020, 11:42:59 AM »
Congrats, good luck with the new job.

As others have said the commute alone would make it worthwhile. 2 years ago I got transferred to a different location and shift. Lost my shift differentials to the tune of a 20% pay cut and added 90 miles a day to my commute, until the transfer I had a 4 mile round trip. At the time I had 2-1/2 years to go till pension eligibility. Now I'm only 4 months till I'm pension eligible but I'll only be 58. Hopefully I can hang on till 59-1/2 and I'll probably bail out then. I hate the commute and location enough that it affects my health and sanity.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2020, 12:35:03 PM »
In the airline pilot world changing jobs means starting at the bottom of pay and seniority.  Once we get a decent job at a decent company, we get kind of stuck here.  I can't complain, though, I get paid well to do little.

Now if they'd just quit hassling you about having a few drinks on the job...
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2020, 01:04:11 PM »
Now if they'd just quit hassling you about having a few drinks on the job...

For realz.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2020, 01:39:33 PM »
Congratulations, Millcreek.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2020, 01:41:54 PM »
Interesting about the "Benefits Manager" side of your profession.

Yes, networking works and commuting sucks.

Congrats !

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2020, 01:49:43 PM »
Congratulations!  What are you going to do with all of your free time now that you won't have that horrible commute?

The power of networking is amazing.  I got my job 17 years ago only because a former colleague mentioned my name to a headhunter.
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2020, 02:03:27 PM »
My nephew is a 30 year old self-described 'code monkey' currently working at Microsoft in Redmond.  In the last five years, I think he has worked at seven or eight different places and the longest stay was nine months.  Most of the time, the job ended, and he had to move on. He now an actual FTE employed by Microsoft, and he has hopes that this will be a longer-term position.

Submitted the application.  If they're like Amazon they'll reject me probably just after lunch.  Hopefully they take more seriously.  I tick all the boxes they want except previous experience with consumer items.  But, if they're smart, they'll realize that's a very issue.
Formerly sumpnz