Author Topic: Ruger LC carbine in 5.7x28  (Read 812 times)

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
Ruger LC carbine in 5.7x28
« on: August 30, 2022, 02:39:10 PM »

https://www.ruger.com/products/lcCarbine/models.html

https://youtu.be/kw3N_JhEp48

https://youtu.be/YGmBiJwso5M

Fairly conventional design.  Looks like they took the PC carbine and moved the mag well to the pistol grip, perhaps leveraging design elements from their existing 5.7 pistol.
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Ruger LC carbine in 5.7x28
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2022, 04:24:19 PM »
I listened to 22Plinkster's video.  Sounds interesting, but I am already going in a different direction for mags. 

If 5.7 ammo ever gets cheaper, I can see it getting pretty popular.  More powerful than 22 LR, more reliable in a semi-auto than 22 mag, less muzzle blast than 223, and the cartridge is pretty small such that you can fit a lot into a small package. 

Now we just need someone crazy to come up with 5.7 subsonic or a blackout modification.   =D
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2022, 05:18:25 PM »
Is there enough recoil from 5.7 x 28s to bump-fire it from your belt loop?

Inquiring physicists want to know.

I'm not signing this one so nobody will know who posted it.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2022, 05:58:22 PM »

Possibly.  Then BATF will decide that your belt loop is a machine gun.
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

Pb

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2022, 07:32:33 PM »
It looks like a neat gun.  It is supposed to be for self defense, hunting, target shooting or what?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2022, 10:34:30 PM »

Inquiring physicists want to know.

I'm not signing this one so nobody will know who posted it.
I don't think so.  A binary trigger might work depending on which platform you get.  PSA is selling a Panzer Arms copy of the AR57 upper. 

https://palmettostatearmory.com/panzer-ar57-ult-upper-assembly-5-7x28mm-16-ult-0116.html
out of stock
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2022, 08:10:57 AM »
7.62x25 would be an interesting rebarrel?
Blog under construction

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2022, 11:11:12 AM »
9mm
357 Sig
10mm

Please

Or heck, how about 30 Carbine?
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2022, 11:55:48 AM »
9mm
357 Sig
10mm

Please

Or heck, how about 30 Carbine?

They already do a 9mm carbine that takes Ruger and Glock mags (each one has an adapter for the Glock mags)

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2022, 11:57:03 AM »
That pairs up nicely with the Ruger 57. When I bought my SA 10mm a couple of weeks back, the salesman insisted that I check out the 57. Sans a range test, I was really impressed with it. I've seen some guntube reviews that said it has a bad trigger, but I thought the one I dry fired had a nice trigger.

As said above though, that ammo has to drop a lot in price. I'm already dealing with overpriced .300 blackout. I don't want to add another $1+/round caliber to the stable.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2022, 11:57:19 AM »
They already do a 9mm carbine that takes Ruger and Glock mags (each one has an adapter for the Glock mags)
I've handled both and I like the design of this carbine much better. Plus moving the mag well to the grip makes it shorter and shifts the balance more rearward.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2022, 05:29:25 PM »
It looks like a neat gun.  It is supposed to be for self defense, hunting, target shooting or what?

I'm no expert, but imo it looks like a great urban self defense weapon - especially in a shtf situation
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2022, 07:47:43 PM »
In a SHTF situation,  I think you want something that take STANAG  mags.

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2022, 12:10:52 AM »
In a SHTF situation,  I think you want something that take STANAG  mags.

i am thinking about us folks that will be bugging in, in some small city like reno or boise or maybe SLC or like louisville.
the recoil will be low if you can get a suppressor it will be awesome at night, it's probably really accurate/lethal at 100 yrds but really in urban areas it will be close/50 yrd ish fighting - FMJ out of a carbine will probably defeat armor ( though I guess 5.56 would be better )
but you can carry a lot of rounds that weigh less than the same amount of 223.

I am reasonably sure you'll be fighting untrained idiots after shtf and not marine recon or army rangers , seems like a great weapon for that ( probably a good idea to be on the same side as rangers or recon after shtf )
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2022, 10:38:23 AM »
I won't say no to that.  I like the 50 round mags of the Keltec P50 also.  Also, spare ammo takes up very little space or weight. 

I wouldn't depend on it defeating body armor.  I think even the "cop killer" ammo that people were screaming about initially was only effective against pistol rated armor.  I am not sure I would depend on any gun to penetrate armor. 

IMO, you would be best served by an AR.  I would say an AR pistol (10.5" barrel?) suppressed, but each to their own.  An AK would work if you can at least mount a red dot.  I got a Geissele super duty complete upper over the summer.  That is one very sweet shooter.  There are much cheaper alternatives. 

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2022, 10:42:55 AM »

I wouldn't depend on it defeating body armor.  I think even the "cop killer" ammo that people were screaming about initially was only effective against pistol rated armor.  I am not sure I would depend on any gun to penetrate armor. 

Garand Thumb would like a word.  =D

https://youtu.be/urWDf8DoI3M
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2022, 11:18:44 AM »
Rounds like 5.7x28 are one of the reasons everyone wears plates now. (All that M855 and M855A1 out there is the other biggie)

In a world where you don't know what armor they are wearing, and have the civi versions of 5.7, I really wouldn't expect armor penetration.  It may happen, but plan for it not to.

There are a number of reasons this carbine wouldn't be my SHTF choice, but the biggest is at the price of 5.7 I can't practice enough to maintain proficiency. I think, in general,  a rifle that takes a wierd round, in it's own magazine, with uncommon proprietary wear parts is a particularly bad choice for a situation where modern logistics has broken down, regardless of the performance of that round. YMM, of course, V.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2022, 01:16:18 PM by dogmush »

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2022, 12:14:16 PM »
Garand Thumb would like a word.  =D

https://youtu.be/urWDf8DoI3M
What does that have to do with 5.7?  Besides, all it took was 3 level 4 plates and they stopped a 50 cal.  Everyone has 3 level 4 plate carriers laying around. 

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2022, 01:11:40 PM »
What does that have to do with 5.7?  Besides, all it took was 3 level 4 plates and they stopped a 50 cal.  Everyone has 3 level 4 plate carriers laying around.

I put the laughing smiley in my post you know. :P

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2022, 01:21:39 PM »
Quote from: Gecko45
What scares me is that, although I can fit an extra trauma plate in the front, I cannot fit a second one in back. As of late I have taken to duct-taping a second trauma plate to the area of my back where the heart and vital organs are located. Then I put my vest on.

Here is the questions. The ducttape solution, although tactically sound, is hot and painful to remove. I would like to go to the single-plate solution in back.

Truly, he was a man ahead of his time.

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2022, 08:15:42 PM »
 :rofl:
Truly, he was a man ahead of his time.
A legend!

yeah, it is not likely I'll actually buy any five seven any time soon, I just really really want one - and extra ammo.
I pawned a few guns last yr to survive, I gotta get em out before buying anything new, my next upgrade will be buying 10mm stuff , after that a semi auto shottie, after that would be five seven-so a few yrs out -