Author Topic: Next episode on our series of suck... Let me NOT butter you up!  (Read 1029 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Next episode on our series of suck... Let me NOT butter you up!
« on: October 09, 2022, 10:27:11 AM »
Possibility of a butter shortage just in time for the holidays.

Yay!

Nothing says shitty cookies like Imperial margarine...

https://thetakeout.com/butter-shortage-looming-in-us-price-increase-1849608914?utm_source=pocket-newtab
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Next episode on our series of suck... Let me NOT butter you up!
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2022, 10:28:39 AM »
Dammit. Next time I'm at the Costco, I guess I'm tripling up on the Costco sized Kerrygold packages. I use a ton of butter from Tday through Christmas.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2022, 10:35:03 AM »
I had a coupon for Land taken from the Injuns Lakes butter that made it $3.99 a pound.

I don't buy a lot of butter, and when I do it's normally store brand, which is up to $4 a pound when it's not on sale.

The Stolen Injun Land butter, which I really do like, is now up to EIGHT *expletive deleted*ing DOLLARS A POUND regular shelf price.  :O

Less than a year ago it was $5 and change a pound.

I'm going to have to start shopping at Walmart again just for their dairy products.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2022, 01:28:04 PM »
I had a coupon for Land taken from the Injuns Lakes butter that made it $3.99 a pound.

I don't buy a lot of butter, and when I do it's normally store brand, which is up to $4 a pound when it's not on sale.

The Stolen Injun Land butter, which I really do like, is now up to EIGHT *expletive deleted*ing DOLLARS A POUND regular shelf price.  :O

Less than a year ago it was $5 and change a pound.

I'm going to have to start shopping at Walmart again just for their dairy products.
Current regular (non sale) prices locally for LOL and store brand butter are $5.64 and $4.31 per pound respectively, both up significantly from a year ago.

Let's Go Brandon.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2022, 01:28:35 PM »
I am not short, but a store run might be in order. 

Maybe I need to look at my inventory and stock up on everything like I did pre-covid. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2022, 01:34:05 PM »
It's time to get a cow.
7-11 was a part time job.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2022, 01:57:19 PM »
It all started when they took Elizabeth Warren off the box
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2022, 07:09:16 PM »
I really wish I had my mom's recipe for christmas cookies.

We tried a few things, and they were actually best using Parkay.
Blog under construction

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2022, 07:36:38 PM »
I really wish I had my mom's recipe for christmas cookies.

We tried a few things, and they were actually best using Parkay.

I buy margarine for baking cookies because it works better than butter.  Real margarine is hard to find; Parkay and Imperial (etc) are not margarine anymore, the fat content is too low.  Margarine and butter are 100 calories per tablespoon.
"It's good, though..."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2022, 09:22:20 PM »
How well does butter freeze?
I remember that towards the end of deployments the butter had picked up an off odor and taste but I don't know if they kept it in the freezer or just the cooler.
Gonna have to stock up. My preference is the missing Indian brand.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2022, 09:41:12 PM »
I remember that towards the end of deployments the butter had picked up an off odor and taste but I don't know if they kept it in the freezer or just the cooler.

I freeze packs of butter I buy from Sam's all the time. Never noticed it having any sort of adverse effect. 
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2022, 09:44:07 PM »

It freezes very well, but will slowly pick up odors from the freezer.  You might want to wrap it in freezer paper if it's going to be there a while.

I buy whatever brand of salted butter I can find when it's on sale for $2 a pound.
"It's good, though..."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2022, 07:29:21 AM »

Butter freezes exceptionally well, but it will definitely pick up off odors. Salted butter is more resistant to picking up odors, but it still will.

Best bet? Freeze your butter in a heavy-duty ziplock bag.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2022, 08:54:07 AM »
Reason #353286 why I like living in the Midwest, we won't experience a butter shortage.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2022, 08:57:34 AM »
Sam's is currently $14.79 for 4lbs. ($3.70 lb)
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2022, 10:42:24 AM »
I got a couple of Land O Lakes packs for about $5 each yesterday. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2022, 10:59:02 AM »
Reason #353286 why I like living in the Midwest, we won't experience a butter shortage.

I just got an email from HyVee.  Butter is in sale for $1.48 a pound.  Limit 1, but no coupon is required.  (also Kellogg's cereal for 99¢ a box, limit 2, and Gala apples for 49¢ a pound)
"It's good, though..."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2022, 11:21:01 AM »
I just got an email from HyVee.  Butter is in sale for $1.48 a pound.  Limit 1, but no coupon is required.  (also Kellogg's cereal for 99¢ a box, limit 2, and Gala apples for 49¢ a pound)

I saw that too, one day sale but I have like 10# of butter on hand. I typically get my butter from Kwik Star/Kwik Trip because they are the cheapest.

I even got 2 pounds of the good butter that AMP only sells to their dairy farmers.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2022, 01:40:46 PM »
I saw that too, one day sale but I have like 10# of butter on hand. I typically get my butter from Kwik Star/Kwik Trip because they are the cheapest.

I even got 2 pounds of the good butter that AMP only sells to their dairy farmers.

Not sure but I think it's a 4-day sale.  I intend to buy a pound each time I go in for the 1-day sale items.  I have about 5# already, but we're going into the baking season and I like to use real butter for everything but the cookies.
"It's good, though..."

HankB

• friend
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2022, 09:58:54 AM »

Butter freezes exceptionally well, but it will definitely pick up off odors. Salted butter is more resistant to picking up odors, but it still will.

Best bet? Freeze your butter in a heavy-duty ziplock bag.
I freeze butter all the time. Use a ziplock freezer bag, too.

Price update: starting tomorrow - 10/12/22 - Randall's (the local Safeway affiliate) will have LOL butter on sale, 2 pounds for $7.

I buy margarine for baking cookies because it works better than butter.  Real margarine is hard to find; Parkay and Imperial (etc) are not margarine anymore, the fat content is too low.  Margarine and butter are 100 calories per tablespoon.
I use margarine by choice for some cooking - frying stuff up in regular "Smart Balance" (not the "lite" variety) goes better than using actual butter, and when making Lithuanian kugelis I add some Blue Bonnet rather than butter, simply because that's what my mother and aunt did.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2022, 02:49:52 PM »
No matter how carefully you store butter or margarine, the fats in both can and do go rancid over time.  How long that takes is what I don't know but it will likely be different depending on the type of fats or oils used in the product.
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2022, 03:42:04 PM »
For baking, I mostly just like to make biscuits occasionally.  The only cookies I made that way was gingerbread a while back.  Those turned out well.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2022, 07:02:59 PM »
Land O'Lakes says that you can freeze butter for 4 months before it starts to loose its butter taste. I suspect you can freeze it a bit longer if you either vacuum seal it or double wrap it in heavy freezer bags.

Salted butter tends to last longer because the salt interferes with the process of picking up odors.