Author Topic: Republican strategy and the Fiscal Cliff.  (Read 4702 times)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Republican strategy and the Fiscal Cliff.
« on: December 02, 2012, 01:47:57 PM »
Do they go with the "let it burn" approach or pass a budget in the house that has some tax hikes (on say incomes form all sources above $1.5mil) along with 4 dollars in spending cuts for every $1 in new taxes.  Then if Obama and Reid choose to do nothing (which appears to be their strategy), they then can not blame it on the Republicans.

http://hotair.com/archives/2012/11/29/second-look-at-tax-hikes-on-everyone/
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 10:43:07 PM by scout26 »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
Re: Republican strategy and the Fiscal Cliff.
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2012, 02:01:30 PM »
The democrats will always blame it on the republicans. Giving them what they want is just letting things burn in a slightly different manner.
Look, tiny text!

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2012, 02:11:00 PM »
Obama's strategy is to get the Republicans to renege on their [ill-advised Grover Norquest] tax pledge while getting nothing in return.  The tax increases he's asking for are not large enough to accomplish anything else meaningful, and there's been no talk of spending cuts -- just hints maybe of cuts 10 years down the road.  

The Republicans should walk out.  Whatever happens they'll get the blame.  So let it burn.
"It's good, though..."

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2012, 02:37:55 PM »
They absolutely would do well to stage a mass walk-out when the subject of hiking taxes comes up on the floor, but they aren't referred to as The Stupid Party for nothing.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2012, 02:40:29 PM »
So other than running the ATR group, has Grover Norquist ever served in elected office or run anything? 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2012, 03:09:33 PM »
The economy likely will show at least some improvement, unless we do a Greece. So Obama is going to take credit for any improvement.

If the Republicans break their no-tax pledge, and the economy improves, Obama will say that his policies worked, but the Republican base will know they didn't and be furious with Republican congressmen for raising taxes.

If the Republicans hold firm and don't raise taxes, they'll be held responsible if the economy only improves a little. Obama and the media would say that we would have a full recovery if the Republicans had cooperated.

I've read, and sometimes agree with the argument, that the Republicans should give Obama every last thing he wants. But they should be very vocal and very public, emphasizing that they are doing exactly what Obama wants, and that citizens should remember that, and the Republicans will remind them of that, in a year or two. That assumes that the media will cover things fairly, though, so the idea won't work.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2012, 06:12:40 PM »
Obama's strategy is to get the Republicans to renege on their [ill-advised Grover Norquest] tax pledge while getting nothing in return.  The tax increases he's asking for are not large enough to accomplish anything else meaningful, and there's been no talk of spending cuts -- just hints maybe of cuts 10 years down the road.  

The Republicans should walk out.  Whatever happens they'll get the blame.  So let it burn.

Obama's approach is like J. Wellington Wimpy in the old Popeye cartoon series: "I will gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today." The Big O wants to raise taxes a little while INCREASING spending by a lot. He doesn't seem to understand that you can't get blood from a stone, and that this country is effectively and functionally bankrupt.

I disagree with Monkeyleg. I don't think the economy is going to improve. I think it's going to tank -- worse than it has already.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2012, 09:35:28 PM »
The democrats will always blame it on the republicans. Giving them what they want is just letting things burn in a slightly different manner.

This infinity.

Abstention is one thing. But anything as dramatic as a walk-out will just be parlayed into more media outrage at Republicans refusing to work with the Democrats.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2012, 10:18:18 PM »
So other than running the ATR group, has Grover Norquist ever served in elected office or run anything? 

Nope.  Professional lobbyist. ATR is just the most known movement.  No other job that I know of.  I think he came up with his "no tax hikes ever" idea when he was like 14 and stuck with it.  I could be wrong on the age.  If I am it was probably 12.

I honestly have no idea why anybody gives him any thought.  I'd give the opinion of the immigrant Indian family running the liquor store around the corner more weight than this guy on taxes.  At least they've got actual productive jobs and are running a business. 

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2012, 10:49:56 PM »
Republican strategy will consist of running toward the nearest news camera, ostentatiously committing seppuku, and then asking the camera crew, "Will you love me now?"
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2012, 11:12:07 PM »
Republican stragedy and the Fiscal Cliff.

Republicans have a strategy?
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2012, 11:30:21 PM »
Republicans have a strategy?

Yep.  It's pretty much begging people to like them.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2012, 11:38:18 PM »
Yep.  It's pretty much begging people to like them.

They are not smart enough to do that ......... ;/
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2012, 11:46:50 PM »
They are not smart enough to do that ......... ;/

Daring people to like them?
"It's good, though..."

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2012, 12:31:49 AM »
The Republicans are boringly predictable. A controversial issue will come up, that they should oppose 100%, many of them will, and then a group of "moderate" republicans (aka RINOs, and its usually the same jackwagons everytime) will vote with the Dems every *expletive deleted*ing time. They are the idiots in the scary movie that throw open the door for the axe murderer.

Yet the Dems seldom suffer from the same issue...

With "friends" like these...
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2012, 01:16:00 AM »
The only strategy, when you are speeding toward a cliff, is to yank the emergency brake and pull hard left, then hope for the best.  Slowing down won't work.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2012, 07:58:32 AM »
The only strategy, when you are speeding toward a cliff, is to yank the emergency brake and pull hard left right, then hope for the best.  Slowing down won't work.

Fixed that.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

longeyes

• friend
"Domari nolo."

Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2012, 09:36:17 AM »
The Republican response is so simple. 

Proposal #1.  Media announced over this last week that the Middle Class financial position is at the same level as in 1969.  R's should say that if the Democrats really care about the Middle Class, here's the deal.  Then the R's in the house should vote out the duplicate of the 1969 budget and give it to the Senate. Include in that budget a continuance of the Bush Tax Cuts except for those who have an yearly gross income from all sources of over 1.5 million dollars and tax that at 50%.

Proposal #2.  Compromise using the 2001 budget (Beginning of the new millennium) and the same tax proposal.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

CAnnoneer

• friend
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2012, 10:10:09 AM »
It no longer matters what Republicans do. The system is way out of control, because reporting is so ridiculously biased. If there is an agreement, Obama will be portrayed as the savior of the nation who fought over the obstructionist conservatives. If there is no agreement, the Reps will be blamed for everything that ensues. Showing up and giving Obama everything he asks for will also not work, because there would be no way to criticize him over the outcome, as they agreed to it. It is a diabolical trap.

The way to break out of the trap is to form and maintain a principled but practical position. Reps have been incapable of doing so for a long long time, because they have been shell-shocked by the media and lame advisors. If they ever want to be relevant again, Reps have to follow the Margaret Thatcher model - "first you win the argument, then you win the election." For a long time now, the Reps have been trying to do the opposite. Then they are surprised it does not work.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2012, 10:18:13 AM »
It no longer matters what Republicans do. The system is way out of control, because reporting is so ridiculously biased. If there is an agreement, Obama will be portrayed as the savior of the nation who fought over the obstructionist conservatives. If there is no agreement, the Reps will be blamed for everything that ensues. Showing up and giving Obama everything he asks for will also not work, because there would be no way to criticize him over the outcome, as they agreed to it. It is a diabolical trap.

QFT. I see no way out for them, at least for the "fiscal cliff" stuff in the short term. Even if they do as Monkeyleg mentioned, and completely agree to everything Obama wants to put the ball in his court, the media will still blame any failures of that policy on the Republicans, or extraneous factors, or <insert excuse here> and shield Obama.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2012, 12:38:22 PM »

The way to break out of the trap is to form and maintain a principled but practical position. Reps have been incapable of doing so for a long long time, because they have been shell-shocked by the media and lame advisors. If they ever want to be relevant again, Reps have to follow the Margaret Thatcher model - "first you win the argument, then you win the election." For a long time now, the Reps have been trying to do the opposite. Then they are surprised it does not work.

The way out of the trap is to stop playing a game you cannot win.

Take your chips and go home.
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2012, 01:09:00 PM »
Congress should present the Republican budget to the President.

Once the President rejects it, party line vote to give the President whatever he asks.

The only way out is for the public to see the Dems own the whole enchilada and everything that entails.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2012, 01:09:32 PM »
The whole discussion or negotiation is already negative for the Republican Party.  They can not win either way... fiscal cliff, they'll get blamed; rasie taxes, they'll get blamed; keep taxes at present level, Democrats get the credit.  It is an engrained position propagated by the media over and over again that the Democratic Party is for the "working man" and for those that can help themselves.  The Republicans are always the bad guy regardless of whether they are right or not.

Hence..  
The Republicans should walk out.  Whatever happens they'll get the blame.  So let it burn.

They have no other choice other than to obstain if they want to remain consistant with party ideals.

Nobody listens anymore.... I have figured that one out.  A certain segment listens to Fox News and the rest listen to the more liberal media.  Most newspapers will not bring up the past unless it is negative to the Republica Party.  Get used to it.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 01:13:19 PM by slingshot »
It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2012, 01:13:39 PM »
The whole discussion or negotiation is already negative for the Republican Party.  They can not win either way... fiscal cliff, they'll get blamed; rasie taxes, they'll get blamed; keep taxes at present level, Democrats get the credit.  It is an engrained position propagated by the media over and over again that the Democratic Party is for the "working man" and for those that can help themselves.  The Republicans are always the bad guy regardless of whether they are right or not.

Hence..  
They have no other choice other than to abstain if they want to remain consistent with party ideals.

If they abstain does the Dem vote still pass the legislation? If yes, then I'm good with an abstention on principle. The key is the public has to associate the mess with the statists.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.