Author Topic: Republican strategy and the Fiscal Cliff.  (Read 4703 times)

zxcvbob

• friend
Re: Republican strategy and the Fiscal Cliff.
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2012, 01:20:20 PM »
If they abstain does the Dem vote still pass the legislation? If yes, then I'm good with an abstention on principle. The key is the public has to associate the mess with the statists.

All budgets originate in the House and are then sent to the Senate.  (All spending bills, I think.)  The President can submit a *proposed* budget but it cannot get off the ground unless the House votes on it.  House Republicans actually hold all the high cards except for public opinion and a sympathetic press (is that one trump card or two?)
"It's good, though..."

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2012, 01:31:19 PM »
All budgets originate in the House and are then sent to the Senate.  (All spending bills, I think.)  The President can submit a *proposed* budget but it cannot get off the ground unless the House votes on it.  House Republicans actually hold all the high cards except for public opinion and a sympathetic press (is that one trump card or two?)

The "people" put Obama and the Dems in the Senate because they know what they want.

I say the Republicans should let them have what they want, good and hard.

Allow the President to get his budget.

There is zero chance of even getting milk toast Paul Ryan type reforms let alone anything substantial or meaningful.

The Republicans should make a big show of giving the President and the Dems what they want while drawing the contrast between what they propose compared to the D's.

Let the Dems own this economy then let the chips fall where they may.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2012, 01:44:55 PM »
The "people" put Obama and the Dems in the Senate because they know what they want.

There is zero chance of even getting milk toast Paul Ryan type reforms let alone anything substantial or meaningful.

The Republicans should make a big show of giving the President and the Dems what they want while drawing the contrast between what they propose compared to the D's.

This, + 16 trillion.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2012, 01:45:58 PM »
Letting the Dems own the whole enchilada is only the prelude.  The Left doesn't mind "owning" collapse, it's just an opportunity for outright tyranny for them.  We don't get out of this situation by pretending that in the end we don't have to walk away from a system that is out to destroy us.  The goal is to walk away intact and unbloodied.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2012, 02:08:34 PM »

The Republicans will always be to blame when it goes bad, it does not matter what they do.  It's a no win situation, period.  The MSM will see to it that the Republicans own everything bad about the economy.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2012, 02:14:53 PM »
The Republicans will always be to blame when it goes bad, it does not matter what they do.  It's a no win situation, period.  The MSM will see to it that the Republicans own everything bad about the economy.

Absolutely true. The Republicans could put up billboards on every block, hire skywriters, put notices on milk cartons and send direct mail to every household in the country telling people that they are going to do exactly what Obama wants, but whatever happens is the result of Obama's policies. Even then, the media would convince them that the disaster was somehow the fault of the Republicans.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2012, 02:42:47 PM »
Don't vote for Obama's budget....don't vote against it....

....When the day of the budget vote arrives, don't even show up to vote. Release a press statement telling Americans that, if the Democrats refuse to negotiate in good faith & want to derail the national economy, they can do it without the GOP's involvement.

Should make for interesting TV....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2012, 03:32:15 PM »
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2012, 04:04:32 PM »
Honestly, I hope we do go "off the cliff" so to speak. Clinton era tax rates suck, but they are for many at least bearable. And the significant, actual cuts in spending that would accompany them are worth it, to me.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2012, 06:02:11 PM »
IIRC, and someone can check my math.  If we raise taxes on the "rich" (those making $250,000 a year or more), per the CBO that will raise $65 billion dollars in 2013. 

Federal Spending is estimated at $10.5 billion.  Per day.   So getting the "wealthy" to "pay their fair share" gets us a week's worth of federal spending.

And Obama is proposing spending $202 billion more in 2013 then we did in 2012.

I'm really convinced that the problem is NOT on the revenue side of the ledger. 
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2012, 06:08:11 PM »
I'm really convinced that the problem is NOT on the revenue side of the ledger. 
Ya think?
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2012, 06:56:33 PM »
Government loves the "poor" and even more those who comfortably and profitably minister, via government, to the "poor."  That means that government is essentially a body alien to the vast corpus of the working population of America.  So long as that chasm exists we have an impossible problem on our hands.  Of course it would help if we didn't maintain the poor in their poverty and continue to import more poor to provide clientele for the Helping Classes, wouldn't it?
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.