Author Topic: In news from overseas, there might be some Unintended Consequences in France  (Read 1010 times)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Want to pick a nice Chateau in the french countryside for the little lady ?  They are being steeply discounted as the rich flee France ahead of Hollande's "Punish the Rich" (now why does that sound familiar?) tax increases.

http://homes.yahoo.com/news/is-this-your-chance-to-pick-up-a-chateau-on-the-cheap--190653964.html

Money quote:
Among the controversial proposals in the 2013 draft budget is a 75% tax rate on salaries higher than $1.3 million, up from less than 50% currently. "Wealthy French are not that masochistic," says Mr. Jottras. 
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Azrael256

• friend
What's the word for "Laffer" in French?

Hutch

• friend
What's the word for "Laffer" in French?
La faire?
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

slingshot

• friend
Same thing would happen here.  The truly rich can do any thing they please.  Move, pay for a private army, just about anything they that needs doing.
It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Same thing would happen here.  The truly rich can do any thing they please.  Move, pay for a private army, just about anything they that needs doing.

I'm guessing not so much. It's easier for Europeans to jump around the EU than for US citizens to leave the US. The US is also I believe the only country that collects taxes from their citizens wherever they may live. Even if the rich give up their citizenship, the IRS collects from them before they leave the country. If severely high taxes and/or a wealth tax hit the US, those with assets will likely work on finding loopholes versus moving.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."