Author Topic: I think we've seen this movie before  (Read 1418 times)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
I think we've seen this movie before
« on: January 21, 2013, 04:52:15 PM »
France seeks more U.S. assistance in Mali

The Pentagon backed down on a requirement that France reimburse the U.S. for the cost of air support in Mali after French officials complained over the weekend about a lack of help. White House officials reportedly haven't responded to France's request for additional surveillance aircraft and are still considering whether to provide refueling planes. The Wall Street Journal

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323301104578253824061131556.html?mod=dist_smartbrief
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: I think we've seen this movie before
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2013, 04:55:27 PM »
Yay, Vietnam in Africa!  I can't wait!
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2013, 05:45:54 PM »
So all French jokes aside, when a country that has been a friend and ally of ours to the extent they have asks for some taxi service, I have no qualms about helping them out.

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2013, 06:43:24 PM »
So all French jokes aside, when a country that has been a friend and ally of ours to the extent they have asks for some taxi service, I have no qualms about helping them out.

They are a NATO ally.
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

HankB

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2013, 06:47:48 PM »
I remember them as the country that wouldn't allow US overflights of their territory when we were going to bomb Libya a while back . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2013, 07:00:17 PM »
I remember them as the country that wouldn't allow US overflights of their territory when we were going to bomb Libya a while back . . .

And I remember them as the country that helped us break free of British tyranny.

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2013, 07:12:51 PM »
And I remember them as the country that helped us break free of British tyranny.
Your memory is much longer than mine.  Why do they care about Mali, and why do we care about them?
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2013, 07:39:29 PM »

I'm reminded that the French denied us airspace for our raid on Libya way back when. I kind of remember them getting kind of pissy about it at the time.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2013, 08:16:21 PM »
Actually, France isn't a part of NATO.  Remember DeGaulle and his hissy fit in 1966?
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2013, 11:51:16 PM »
Not to mention that the France that helped us during the revolution was itself revolutioned soon after, no continuity other than geography.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2013, 12:13:30 AM »
Iraq.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2013, 06:36:34 AM »
Actually, France isn't a part of NATO.  Remember DeGaulle and his hissy fit in 1966?
Well,no.  My memory don't go back that far.  I don't remember if history in school made it to the 60's. 
but I thought I heard that France was no longer part of NATO at least militarily.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2013, 01:44:27 PM »
Are we "leading from behind" again?

Gosh darn all this Newspeak has got me all befuddled.
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

HankB

• friend
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2013, 02:10:36 PM »
The French who aided our country in the 18th Century are long dead and buried.

Many of the French who denied us overflights are still here. Today. Right now.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2013, 03:24:43 PM »
Interestingly enough, we had some friends that were missionaries in Mali for quite a few years.  Nice place - only gets about 130 dF in the summer.

They left when their daughter reached about age 12 and all the local men were trying to buy her for a bride  =(
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin