Author Topic: Guns and Ammo ranks the states.  (Read 3758 times)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Guns and Ammo ranks the states.
« on: March 16, 2013, 05:27:21 PM »
Kinda like the Brady's do, but only in reverse.

DC, New York, and New Jersey play Charles Atlas in the rankings.  At least Illinois doesn't totally suck.  And we'll move up come 9 June.  ;)

http://www.gunsandammo.com/2013/03/14/ga-ranks-the-best-states-for-gun-owners-in-2013/#ixzz2NYs4zhzO
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
Re: Guns and Ammo ranks the states.
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2013, 05:37:26 PM »
I think they weighted some of the castle doctrine stuff too much.  Some states have it via common law, as opposed to statutory law.  In many cases, the states that passed CD laws didn't really change that much.  Some of the miscellaneous stuff seemed pretty random.
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2013, 05:49:07 PM »
#7 for Alabama, probably because we're technically discretionary issue.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2013, 08:56:30 PM »
2 points...
1.  Interesting how so many of the original 13 are at the bottom.  Figure that they may have learned from their history.  Guess not.
2.  I have believed Ohio was pretty lax on gun laws, in a good way.  If we're that far down the list, then I hold hope for the future.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2013, 10:56:00 PM »
Dunno, I'd like a full understanding of how the ranks are formed. My state of VA is pretty good and at 24, while North Carolina is at 19. NC is much worse in my opinion. First problem, permit to purchase a handgun. Then on a carry permit some fun restrictions. No carry where an admission fee is charged(places you might need it), financial institution, state capitol, and finally:

In any parade, funeral procession, picket line, or demonstration upon any public place owned or under the control of the state or any of its political subdivisions. It is unlawful for any person to transport or possess off his own premises any “dangerous weapon” in any area under a declared state of emergency or in the immediate vicinity of a riot.

In short, NC carry law is whack and of the many shooting matches I've attended there my primary defense has been to drive the speed limit.

Virginia could improve its Jim Crow laws on non-firearm weapons, its BS assault weapons prohibition on public carry in urban areas(VA law AR-15 with 20rd mag good, 30rd mag EVILLL!), and establish an unambiguous standard for carry while intoxicated. If I can legally drive with 2 beers, I should be fine to consume same while carrying.

On the bright side our preemption law has some teeth and did in a lot of local BS.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2013, 11:11:08 PM »
Full of fail.

MG's are legal in WI.
I promise not to duck.

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2013, 11:39:16 PM »
And silencers are illegal in Vermont IIRC.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2013, 12:13:36 AM »
Full of fail.

MG's are legal in WI.

I had always assumed MGs were legal in WI, so that made me do a double take when reading through the slideshow. I went to check it for myself, and found WI Statute 941.26 (1)(a) which states "No person may sell, possess, use or transport any machine gun or other full automatic firearm." Is it one of those things where an individual may not personally possess FA firearms, but the ownership of FA firearms by other entities (trust, etc.) is legal?
Andy

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2013, 02:50:47 AM »
That must be a new law then: I've been to FA shoots here in WI.

Although now that I think about it, those guns MAY have been owned by a trust. But not sure how you could get around that law, even with a trust: you would still be "using, transporting, etc" as an individual
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2013, 03:33:56 AM »
MGs are illegal in WI, but there are exceptions:

(1)  The possession of a machine gun for scientific purpose.

(2)   The possession of a machine gun not usable as a weapon and possessed as a curiosity, ornament or keepsake.

(3)   The possession of a machine gun other than one adapted to use pistol cartridges for a purpose manifestly not aggressive or offensive. A person may be authorized by the chief of police of any city or the sheriff of any county to sell, possess, use, or transport a machine gun.

IANAL, and that's a really short summary, but (2) pretty much covers most of them in WI. A can is about the only NFA item not in the statutes.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2013, 09:15:39 AM »
I'd give NY a little higher score for CCW, and the final category, "gun culture" or something.  18% of residents are gun owners?  Makes sense when half the population lives in NYC. 
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2013, 04:41:21 PM »
My state of VA is pretty good and at 24, while North Carolina is at 19. NC is much worse in my opinion.
I live in NC for a decade and determined the permit to  purchase is no problem.  The state does the NICS check before issuing the permit.  You can also get up to 3 permits at a time.  It is hard to feel put on by the man when you are walking around with a wallet full of purchase permits which do nothing except expedite the purchase of a firearm. 
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2013, 09:20:52 PM »
I had always assumed MGs were legal in WI, so that made me do a double take when reading through the slideshow. I went to check it for myself, and found WI Statute 941.26 (1)(a) which states "No person may sell, possess, use or transport any machine gun or other full automatic firearm." Is it one of those things where an individual may not personally possess FA firearms, but the ownership of FA firearms by other entities (trust, etc.) is legal?

No, the NFA process is a sufficient affirmative defense of MG possession, individual or otherwise. The verbiage for that part is just well separated from the superseding sections above or below in the WI code. It's just far away enough that it confounds people trying to make a "plain English" reading of the law.

There is a NEW hassle that arose within just the past few years here in WI with needing a "CLEO Authorization Letter" above and beyond the normal NFA process, due to the ATF's NFA branch hyper-interpreting the wording of the WI MG laws, and you need that whether you're individual, corp., or trust.

There is no documented case of anyone in WI law enforcement or a DA's actually caring about said letter on an otherwise properly NFA'd MG, but for the past few years, the ATF won't approve any Form 4's on pre '86 MG transfers in WI without said CLEO approval letter though.  ;/

MGs are illegal in WI, but there are exceptions:

(1)  The possession of a machine gun for scientific purpose.

(2)   The possession of a machine gun not usable as a weapon and possessed as a curiosity, ornament or keepsake.

(3)   The possession of a machine gun other than one adapted to use pistol cartridges for a purpose manifestly not aggressive or offensive. A person may be authorized by the chief of police of any city or the sheriff of any county to sell, possess, use, or transport a machine gun.

IANAL, and that's a really short summary, but (2) pretty much covers most of them in WI. A can is about the only NFA item not in the statutes.

Yes.

And AFAIK, the wording of the law was such that it was designed to try and preferentially trip up the mob and bootlegger types who were using WI as their backyard when coming up from Chicago, or down from Canada in the 20's and 30's. It used to be that for #3, that it was presumed you had de-facto authorization by going through the NFA process to register and pay tax on your MG transfer, but now the ATF needs said authorization to be explicit in the form of a letter.  
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 09:24:35 PM by AJ Dual »
I promise not to duck.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2013, 10:42:05 PM »
Machine guns are not legal to own. The NRA-ILA describes the legality of short-barreled rifles and suppressors as "a state of flux and clarification," adding legislators are seeking reform. Wisconsin has a Castle Doctrine/Stand Your Ground law with immunity from prosecution. Gov. Scott Walker has been fighting an uphill battle for gun rights in the state for the last few years.

Read more: http://www.gunsandammo.com/2013/03/14/ga-ranks-the-best-states-for-gun-owners-in-2013/#ixzz2Nr59PFfK

Lolz, lots of misinformation in that one.
SBRs and Suppressors are perfectly legal to own here so long as you jump through all of the federal hoops.

The Governor has not been fighting an uphill battle- that battle was fought before he was elected, all he needed to do was sign CCW into effect after the (R) majority that we elected approved the law.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2013, 01:12:25 PM »
How long will VT and NH be in the "good group?"  You have to wonder.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2013, 08:03:34 PM »
They messed up on Alaska as far as Castle Doctrine goes.

We have no duty to retreat from your home, or if you are a sworn LEO acting in that capacity (I actually like that as it makes it clear it's just another exception among many, not a "special privilege"), or if you are in your usual place of business, or if you are with a child or other member of your household.

The only time you currently have a duty to retreat is if you "-know- (not believe) you can do so in -complete- safety for yourself or the -complete- safety of a third party."

They will probably pass a SYG law this session adding "or any place you have the right to be", but we don't really "need" it.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2013, 09:34:09 AM »
I live in NC for a decade and determined the permit to  purchase is no problem.  The state does the NICS check before issuing the permit.  You can also get up to 3 permits at a time.  It is hard to feel put on by the man when you are walking around with a wallet full of purchase permits which do nothing except expedite the purchase of a firearm. 

Most states run the NICS check when the purchase is made.  I see little purpose of the FOID card other than control and a revenue generator.  I don't like having another hoop to jump through just to purchase a gun.

I see little merit in the rankings that fall between the top 10 worst and top 10 best states relative to gun ownership.
It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2013, 05:02:34 PM »
I see little purpose of the FOID card other than control and a revenue generator.  I don't like having another hoop to jump through just to purchase a gun.

Illinois State Police do their own background check on each purchase.  And the FOID card is actually a money loser for the state (shocking that Illinois would lose money, I know.)  But your second sentence is correct.  It's another barrier to firearm ownership.    "We may not be able to outright ban them, but if you make as difficult as possible to own/buy one, maybe you'll give up and eventually we'll win." 
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2013, 05:14:07 PM »

I've gotten several purchase permits back when localities like Va Beach could get away with such crap. It's BS. The carry law restrictions are too. Charge admission? That theoretically means CCW is prohibited at a practical pistol match. Lulz.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.