Author Topic: Team Obama doesn't think we're taxed enough.  (Read 872 times)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Team Obama doesn't think we're taxed enough.
« on: March 29, 2013, 03:16:54 PM »
Nor are we shoveling enough money to people overseas that hate us.

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2013/03/21/here-comes-team-obama-carbon-tax/?intcmp=obnetwork

Expect this to be the next big thing that comes out of DC. :facepalm: :facepalm:

Hopefully this gets killed with fire.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

zahc

• friend
Re: Team Obama doesn't think we're taxed enough.
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2013, 05:41:11 PM »
Note: think that taxation is theft and there is no legitimate taxation. I object to all efforts at using tax policy to manipulate the economy.

I shall now enter devil's advocate mode.

<devil's advocate mode>
I actually like the philosophy of a carbon tax. Usually, the government uses subsidies and convoluted tax laws that favor certain segments of the economy and result in nasty market distortions. For example, see ethanol subsidies. I don't think the government, or anyone, can plan an economy. So I don't think that specific taxes on specific things can ever work to do something like carbon emissions...the market just adapts. On the other hand, something like a carbon tax is general is the better way to approach manipulating the market. IF (big if) we admit that CO2 emissions really are Killing The World, then taxing carbon emissions directly is the most free-market-friendly thing to do, and much better than a myrid of individual taxes, bans, and subsidys at all layers of the economy that will make no sense, or which made sense at the time, and cause all kinds of nasty market distortions. But a flat carbon tax lets the market adapt at every level, so that the actual bogeyman (carbon emmisions) is taxed, which is better than the government trying to micro-manage the Hot Topic of the Day to look like they are Doing Something to help the environment.

For example, instead of implementing Federal fuel mileage standards, it would be better to tax gasoline, then let people drive gas-guzzling cars if they want to. Even better than taxing gasoline, it would be better to tax carbon or particulate emissions, and let people drive 'clean' or 'dirty' cars as their pocketbook permits.

</devil's advocate mode>

Analogy: Instead of banning large sodas, it would be better to tax obesity.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 05:45:07 PM by zahc »
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Re: Team Obama doesn't think we're taxed enough.
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2013, 06:38:46 PM »
IF (again a big IF) the money was to used to "fix" the "problem" of carbon emissions somehow, then MAYBE it might be a good idea.  However, what's being proposed is to re-distribute wealth, not solve any perceived problem with "Climate Change".

It's a watermelon.  A "Red" program wrapped in "Green", to make it easier to sell to the masses, because it's a Crisis !!!!

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.