Author Topic: Democrats were wrong yet again.  (Read 1352 times)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Democrats were wrong yet again.
« on: April 15, 2013, 05:26:44 PM »
Good thing Reagan had vision and that several Republican Congresses refused to let Clinton totally kill it. 

Imagine the sheissestorm if the Norks manage to loft one our way and there was nothing at Greeley (there are only four interceptors at Vandenburg) to stop them.  All those leftwing a-holes in LA and SF that want peace at any price would be so much radioactive fallout, which is a down side.

Anywho,
After doing this:
http://news.investors.com/ibd-editorials/031612-604646-president-obama-guts-reagan-sdi-missile-defense.htm

He's probably hitting his knees every night hoping that it works.  Because, if G-d forbid, the Norks do nuke something in the US (and yes, Guam is part of the US).  He would be the most reviled president in history. 
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: Democrats were wrong yet again.
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2013, 05:31:15 PM »
It would still be Bush's fault.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2013, 05:42:21 PM »
It would still be Bush's fault.

It still WILL be Bush's fault.

Public perception is malleable, objective reality doesn't matter as much as we'd like to think it does.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2013, 11:24:46 AM »
Good thing Reagan had vision and that several Republican Congresses refused to let Clinton totally kill it. 

Imagine the sheissestorm if the Norks manage to loft one our way and there was nothing at Greeley (there are only four interceptors at Vandenburg) to stop them.  All those leftwing a-holes in LA and SF that want peace at any price would be so much radioactive fallout, which is a down side.

Anywho,
After doing this:
http://news.investors.com/ibd-editorials/031612-604646-president-obama-guts-reagan-sdi-missile-defense.htm

He's probably hitting his knees every night hoping that it works.  Because, if G-d forbid, the Norks do nuke something in the US (and yes, Guam is part of the US).  He would be the most reviled president in history. 

By "interceptor" do you mean some sort of fighter aircraft capable of closing range with an ICBM and hitting it with an air-to-air missile?

I didn't know we had aircraft or aircraft-mounted weapons capable of that.  I thought ICBM's travelled upwards of 15,000 miles an hour, well above conventional aircraft altitude.

My understanding is that Patriot missile batteries only hit Mach 5, about 3000-3500 mph and a very short range.  Aegis destroyers have some sort of kinetic tomahawk variant capable of hitting satellites in orbit, and possibly ICBM's, right?
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2013, 11:43:14 AM »
They don't go that fast at first.  However, I think the Navy and the anti-ballistic missile stuff the Air Force has are for the warhead coming back down.  They can only hit the booster rocket if they are close enough.  I don't know if they can hit it in low orbit or not. 

I thought they canceled that airborne laser did they not? 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2013, 12:25:01 PM »
I thought they canceled that airborne laser did they not?

It is living out in the desert now. No sense in letting a successful program continue.

http://gizmodo.com/5939593/the-awesome-5+billion-airborne-laser-is-in-the-boneyard-never-to-fire-again

http://www.mda.mil/news/gallery_altb.html

bob

HankB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2013, 01:05:44 PM »
By "interceptor" do you mean some sort of fighter aircraft capable of closing range with an ICBM and hitting it with an air-to-air missile?

I didn't know we had aircraft or aircraft-mounted weapons capable of that.  I thought ICBM's travelled upwards of 15,000 miles an hour, well above conventional aircraft altitude.

My understanding is that Patriot missile batteries only hit Mach 5, about 3000-3500 mph and a very short range.  Aegis destroyers have some sort of kinetic tomahawk variant capable of hitting satellites in orbit, and possibly ICBM's, right?
Tomahawks are cruise missiles - low altitude, relatively slow. The interceptor the Navy used to knock down a satellite a few years back is a development of the Standard Missile: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RIM-161_Standard_Missile_3

The Patriot Pac 3 also has some ABM capability.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2013, 01:18:35 PM »
The YAL-1 (aka, Airborne Laser) was designed to hit TBMs (smaller tactical ballistic missiles) during the boost phase, shortly after clearing their launch towers.

The laser is focused on the thin skin of the missile body, burning or weakening the structure just enough to cause a catastrophic rupture.

That's the measure of success for this program, killing a TBM from a standoff range of several hundred miles.

My agency played a big role in the development of the YAL-1, and our inside joke was that they may as well paint a big bullseye on the side of that converted 747-400F.

In the end it was $6 billion over budget when killed, nowhere near operational or even statistically successful.

There were even threats of Arms Control Treaty complaints enroute, because that big turret could be swiveled downwards to engage ground targets or upwards to engage satellites.

The Navy has picked up the ball now with their Free Electron Laser program.

"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2013, 01:35:08 PM »
The Navy has picked up the ball now with their Free Electron Laser program.

:-D
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2013, 02:04:49 PM »

No.  The Ground Launched missiles are referred to a interceptors.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.