Author Topic: I am the Gun Lobby  (Read 2294 times)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
I am the Gun Lobby
« on: April 18, 2013, 08:38:58 PM »
This guy nails it.  The NRA, NSSF, GOA, etc are not "the Gun Lobby".  It's "We the People".

http://www.firearmscoalition.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=593%3Ai-am-the-gun-lobby

Unlike the anti-rights groups like the Violence Policy Center and the Brady Campaign, we do not get the bulk of our money from wealthy do-gooder endowments like the Joyce Foundation or wealthy individuals like Mike Bloomberg.  I am the Gun Lobby and I get my money by working for it in factories, on construction sites, in small businesses, stores, shops, farms and ranches.  I pull the money I use to support or oppose candidates and to pay my professional advocates, not from tax dollars or union dues, but from my own back pocket. 

This is what they don't get or understand.  "Only big donors can have that much influence, you little pissants just need to shut up."
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: I am the Gun Lobby
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 08:50:58 PM »
He's right, of course, but anyone willing to see the truth already knows that what he says is true. Anyone who's identifiably "conservative" is going to be referred to as "the x lobby," or "special interests," or some-such; whether it's guns or any other issue. Unless they're just portrayed as angry. Anti-American advocacy groups, meanwhile, are "concerned citizens." Libertarians will sometimes be portrayed as "concerned," or as "civil libertarians." Unless, of course, they talk about right-wing stuff, like guns. Then they will be "special interests"
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2013, 09:54:29 PM »
Gun lobby = gun industry sounds more ominous and sinister.  If this were true, then anything this "lobby" did could be written off as just the self-centered greed of some corporations.  How come no one ever refers to the VPC as the "anti-gun" lobby?
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2013, 10:07:23 PM »
I've been saying that for years. Fistful nailed it though. I have never had a liberal look at me as anything but crazy when I make that argument. Even if they're presented evidence, like contributions to the Brady campaign.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2013, 10:44:11 PM »
I've always been cracked up by the NRA being the 800lb gorilla. That makes the auto and airline industry the 10 ton truck and the big oil and pharma companies the full on coal train.

It's funny how the lobby groups with the least power get the worst press.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2013, 07:33:21 PM »
He's right, of course, but anyone willing to see the truth already knows that what he says is true. Anyone who's identifiably "conservative" is going to be referred to as "the x lobby," or "special interests," or some-such; whether it's guns or any other issue. Unless they're just portrayed as angry. Anti-American advocacy groups, meanwhile, are "concerned citizens." Libertarians will sometimes be portrayed as "concerned," or as "civil libertarians." Unless, of course, they talk about right-wing stuff, like guns. Then they will be "special interests"

This reminds of nooz show several years ago where they had Ann Coulter labeled as "Republican Operative" and Angela Davis* as "Community Activist".  Really?  "Community Activist"?

Reason 5,892,425 that I don't have TV.

* for those too young to remember Angela Davis was twice a candidate for Vice President on the Communist Party USA ticket during the 1980s.

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2013, 10:05:40 PM »
This reminds of nooz show several years ago where they had Ann Coulter labeled as "Republican Operative" and Angela Davis* as "Community Activist".  Really?  "Community Activist"?

Reason 5,892,425 that I don't have TV.

* for those too young to remember Angela Davis was twice a candidate for Vice President on the Communist Party USA ticket during the 1980s.

I remember Angela Davis but I never paid any attention to Communist party candidates.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin