Author Topic: Apple uses Tax Code to avoid paying taxes on Billions in Profit. Congress upset  (Read 4944 times)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
“Apple wasn’t satisfied with shifting its profits to a low-tax offshore tax haven,” said Senator Carl Levin, a Michigan Democrat. “Apple sought the holy grail of tax avoidance. It has created offshore entities holding tens of billions of dollars while claiming to be tax resident nowhere.”

John McCain, the Arizona Republican who is the ranking member on the committee, added: “Apple claims to be the largest U.S. corporate taxpayer, but by sheer size and scale, it is also among America’s largest tax avoiders.”

Dear Senators Levin and McCain (among others),

You wrote the rules, they followed them.  What's the problem?

Sincerely,

Another US Taxpayer

Here's the full story.
Apple legally avoid billions in taxes.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 04:09:11 PM by scout26 »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
Scout, I love the title of this thread.  :rofl:

a well placed understatment is the unsung hero of comedy.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
It's always funny how liberals, like the people who run Apple, are fanatical capitalists when it comes to THEIR money, but think EVERYONE ELSE ought to be paying more...
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
Maybe if they would simplify the tax code and get rid of the bullshit, stuff like this wouldn't happen

I have no moral reservations about people taking advantage of our stupid tax laws
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
It's always funny how liberals, like the people who run Apple, are fanatical capitalists when it comes to THEIR money, but think EVERYONE ELSE ought to be paying more...

they could stand the Whole Foods effect. You know, CEO turned fiscle conservative when he realized you can't run a business off dreams and unicorn farts.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Scout26

• friend
Scout, I love the title of this thread.  :rofl:

a well placed understatment is the unsung hero of comedy.

Thank you, thank you [bows deeply at the waist. =D]

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
Dear U.S. Senate:

Did Apple break any Federal laws?  If yes, then have the DOJ prosecute.  If no, then shut up.

"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats

Everyone is conservative in their own area of expertise/business.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Yeah, they just need to close that not-breaking-the-law loophole  ;/
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

dm1333

• friend
Where is the righteous anger towards these fat cat CEO's avoiding paying their fair share!  Or is that only for conservative fat cats who run oil companies and lord their corporate jets over us??????   =D

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
Rush Limbaugh commented on this today and said he might, if he has time, get into it deeper on tomorrow's program.
Carl Levin is a fatuous jackass.  As are those who jump on his moron bandwagon.
Yeah, they just need to close that not-breaking-the-law loophole  ;/
:facepalm: D'oh!  THAT'S it!   

These *&^%&* Washington jackwagons ....write....the...law...then ...complain...when...people OBEY IT! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
“Did you really think that we want those laws to be observed?” said Dr. Ferris. “We want them broken. You’d better get it straight that it’s not a bunch of boy scouts you’re up against—then you’ll know that this is not the age for beautiful gestures. We’re after power and we mean it. You fellows were pikers, but we know the real trick, and you’d better get wise to it. There’s no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren’t enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws. Who wants a nation of law-abiding citizens? What’s there in that for anyone? But just pass the kind of laws that can neither be observed nor enforced nor objectively interpreted—and you create a nation of lawbreakers—and then you cash in on guilt. Now that’s the system, Mr. Rearden, that’s the game, and once you understand it, you’ll be much easier to deal with.”
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
someone needs to do a member by member expose on all the tax nonsense the congress critters and their families pull
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.

You wrote the rules, they followed them.  What's the problem?

Sincerely,

Another US Taxpayer

Here's the full story.
Apple legally avoid billions in taxes.

So exactly how much income tax did you pay on your Senator's salary again?

Sincerely,

Another US Taxpayer

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
UMMARY OF TAX RETURNS
Taxes Paid:
For 2006, Senator McCain paid $72,771 in federal income, alternative minimum, and self-employment taxes (LINES 57 and 58) on taxable income of $215,304 (LINE 43), which is a 33.8% tax rate. View

For 2007, Senator McCain paid $84,460 in federal income, alternative minimum, and self-employment taxes (LINES 57 and 58) on taxable income of $258,800 (LINE 43), which is a 32.6% tax rate. View

Charitable Contributions:
Senator McCain donates his royalties from his books to charitable organizations. This sum has totaled over $1,800,000 since 1998 when he signed his first book deal. Senator McCain's book income of $256,898 for 2006 and 2007 is comprised of earnings for Faith of My Fathers, Worth the Fighting For, Why Courage Matters, Character is Destiny, and Hard Call.

Beginning in 1991, Senator McCain has also donated the increase in his Senate salary for that year and each subsequent year to charity because he opposed the Congressional pay increase at that time and pledged not to accept the pay raises. The cumulative total of these donations is over $450,000.

In 2006, Senator and Mrs. McCain donated $129,390 from community assets to charity, of which Senator  McCain's one-half allocation was $64,695. This is 19% of his adjusted gross income.

In 2007, Senator and Mrs. McCain donated $210,933 from community assets to charity, of which Senator McCain's one-half allocation is $105,467. This is 27.2% of his adjusted gross income for the year.

Most of Senator McCain's contributions were made to the John and Cindy McCain Family Foundation, which makes direct contributions to charities. The Foundation's tax returns for 2006 and 2007, which include a list of the charities to which Senator and Mrs. McCain contributed through the McCain Family Foundation in 2006 and 2007, are available for download below. (2006 - 2007)

SUMMARY OF SENATOR MCCAIN'S ACTUAL (NOT COMMUNAL) INCOME [FROM STATEMENT A OF TAX RETURN]

Senate Salary:
 $161,675
 $161,708

Book Royalty Income:
 $80,390
 $176,508

Social Security Income:
 $22,104
 $23,157

US Navy Pension*:
 $56,496
 $58,358
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Maybe if they would simplify the tax code and get rid of the bullshit, stuff like this wouldn't happen

I have no moral reservations about people taking advantage of our stupid tax laws

No kidding. It cracks me up that close adherence to every jot and tittle of the law is demonized as "taking advantage of loopholes." They're just following the law you gave us, you Congress-creeps. Following it as closely as ever they can, and finding every weakness you wrote in to it.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
We need to close the "congress saying dumb *expletive deleted*it" loophole
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

slingshot

• friend
Apple is trying to leverage a good deal to bring the money into the US.  The government should have changed the tax rules years ago as far as bringing profits back into the US.  That said, Apple is just using the laws to their advantage.  If necessary, I suspect they will simply invest and use the money outside the country eventually on new manufacturing.  Apple is in a good position that they don't seem to actually need this money to operate here.
It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)

Scout26

• friend
My tax exemption/deduction is your "loophole".

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
It's not about what they write down on paper, you have to obey what is in their mind. Don't do that and you're wrong regardless of what the law says.

So to be right you have to read their books and articles, attend their conferences and attend to their every utterance in their TV and radio appearances and their blog posts. And then act on that information and just pray that when they disagree, and they will, you pick the proper side. You won't know what side that is, so pick one and hope for the best.

Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
I am really torn on this one, while I applaud anyone/business for paying the least amount of taxes they have to.... But a company as liberal as Apple who advocates socking it to the rich, kind of makes me angry that they are getting away with it. ???
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
But a company as liberal as Apple who advocates socking it to the rich, kind of makes me angry that they are getting away with it.

Well, they're in good company. We have a former Obama Treasury Secretary who evaded $120,000 in taxes. We have our new Secretary of State who registered his yacht in a neighboring state to avoid $500,000 in taxes. We have all sorts of "sock it to the rich" liberals who do everything possible to avoid paying taxes.

Watch what they do, don't listen to what they say.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend

Which is, of course, the exact opposite of the practice of most of the voting public. (Let alone the public at large.)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Well, they're in good company. We have a former Obama Treasury Secretary who evaded $120,000 in taxes. We have our new Secretary of State who registered his yacht in a neighboring state to avoid $500,000 in taxes. We have all sorts of "sock it to the rich" liberals who do everything possible to avoid paying taxes.

Taxing the "rich" has always been about taxing the middle class.

The really rich can avoid most taxes.

:mad: