Author Topic: Apple uses Tax Code to avoid paying taxes on Billions in Profit. Congress upset  (Read 4945 times)

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
Taxing the "rich" has always been about taxing the middle class.

The really rich can avoid most taxes.

:mad:

That has to be the most true statement ever said on the web!!!!
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Taxing the "rich" has always been about taxing the middle class.

The really rich can avoid most taxes.

:mad:

I'll add one caveat to that.

"Taxing the rich" is really about taxing the young upstart rich.

The "Old Rich" have very little of their wealth taxed. What is taxed are the people who actually come up with new ideas that make life better for everyone else.

The idle rich are left alone... to seek purpose... very often in Government. Hmm...

(For those who doubt that, look at the number of representatives and senators that either inherited or married into wealth vs. the number that actually earned it themselves. Then compare that number to the nation at large. I don't ask you to look at the number that aren't rich because that number is too small to make any statistical inferences upon.)

(Also note, I'm not asking for the idle rich to be punished. I'm just pointing out that if you're going to discourage a course of action, discouraging the "new rich" is likely more harmful to progress than attacking the "old rich." I'd prefer we lowered ALL taxes.)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

birdman

• friend
I'll add one caveat to that.

"Taxing the rich" is really about taxing the young upstart rich.

The "Old Rich" have very little of their wealth taxed. What is taxed are the people who actually come up with new ideas that make life better for everyone else.

The idle rich are left alone... to seek purpose... very often in Government. Hmm...

(For those who doubt that, look at the number of representatives and senators that either inherited or married into wealth vs. the number that actually earned it themselves. Then compare that number to the nation at large. I don't ask you to look at the number that aren't rich because that number is too small to make any statistical inferences upon.)

(Also note, I'm not asking for the idle rich to be punished. I'm just pointing out that if you're going to discourage a course of action, discouraging the "new rich" is likely more harmful to progress than attacking the "old rich." I'd prefer we lowered ALL taxes.)

The bulk of capital investment is by the so called old rich you mention.  People tend to forget that the wealthy aren't using big money-bins like Scrooge mcduck to hold their wealth, they invest it or lend it.  Discouraging either is bad, however, if the young can't obtain capital, -and- they are discouraged by reduced potential profit, everything goes to hell.

freakazoid

• friend
People tend to forget that the wealthy aren't using big money-bins like Scrooge mcduck to hold their wealth,

And that's a real shame.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
My wife just read me a story last night about how auction houses like Christi's are seeing people spend big money on items like painting and such.  The rich are putting their wealth in tangibles like paintings, metals and such.  I think Cyprus scared the wealthy a whole lot more than the media likes to report.
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
The bulk of capital investment is by the so called old rich you mention.  People tend to forget that the wealthy aren't using big money-bins like Scrooge mcduck to hold their wealth, they invest it or lend it.  Discouraging either is bad, however, if the young can't obtain capital, -and- they are discouraged by reduced potential profit, everything goes to hell.

I'm not saying the old rich suck, let's get them.

I'm saying their "contribution" is far more easily demogogued. (Did I spell that right?) Yet, for some odd reason, the tax code is set up to their benefit and to the detriment of new money.

It's one of those inexplicable things, like how the laws are generally set up to benefit lawyers.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

birdman

• friend
I'm not saying the old rich suck, let's get them.

I'm saying their "contribution" is far more easily demogogued. (Did I spell that right?) Yet, for some odd reason, the tax code is set up to their benefit and to the detriment of new money.

It's one of those inexplicable things, like how the laws are generally set up to benefit lawyers.

More easily demagogued, but difficult to tax.  The only targets that are the least bit constitutional are wealth transfers or changes (eg estate, capital gains taxes).  Taxing wealth ownership is difficult, and effectively unconstitutional, and therein lies the rub for progressivism, the folks that have the assets can shelter them from taxes by simply not doing anything...hence the "rich" is defined by income, and gets driven down onto the middle class.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
More easily demagogued, but difficult to tax.  The only targets that are the least bit constitutional are wealth transfers or changes (eg estate, capital gains taxes).  Taxing wealth ownership is difficult, and effectively unconstitutional, and therein lies the rub for progressivism, the folks that have the assets can shelter them from taxes by simply not doing anything...hence the "rich" is defined by income, and gets driven down onto the middle class.

I don't see how it's all that hard. As you note, it might be difficult to do a "wealth tax" but as you well know, most of the Old Rich aren't merely living off the diminishing principal of their fore bearers accumulated wealth. As a result, they tend to make capital gains. Capital gains taxes (if the democrats were actually after "the rich") would be their most demagogued issue.

It isn't. They want to raise income taxes. The SERIOUSLY rich don't make their money off of income. But what is the focus? Income taxes.

It belies either a complete inability to understand the nature of the wealthy in this country (I find this possibility extremely improbable), or an aim other than "soaking the rich". (This possibility includes the taking advantage of the public's misconception of what makes one "rich".)

I will state, once again, I don't think any taxes ought to be raised and I don't think the Old Rich deserve to be demogogued any more than those who actually produce goods or services and make income. I'm merely pointing out that "progressive's" stated goals and means don't match up. (My explanation for this is that they prefer to shelter the "old rich", just as there is a preference towards benefiting lawyers.)

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
The trouble with "capital gains" tax is that in many cases it is just a tax on government induced inflation.   :mad:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
Double taxation is what made this country great! It is doubleplus ungood to not think the same!
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

birdman

• friend
The trouble with "capital gains" tax is that in many cases it is just a tax on government induced inflation.   :mad:

Damn skippy.

I don't see how it's all that hard. As you note, it might be difficult to do a "wealth tax" but as you well know, most of the Old Rich aren't merely living off the diminishing principal of their fore bearers accumulated wealth. As a result, they tend to make capital gains. Capital gains taxes (if the democrats were actually after "the rich") would be their most demagogued issue.

It isn't. They want to raise income taxes. The SERIOUSLY rich don't make their money off of income. But what is the focus? Income taxes.

It belies either a complete inability to understand the nature of the wealthy in this country (I find this possibility extremely improbable), or an aim other than "soaking the rich". (This possibility includes the taking advantage of the public's misconception of what makes one "rich".)

I think its actually a third option, if a substantive wealth tax (say, a quasi constitutional extremely high capital gains tax that as tallpine points out, results in substantial taxation even on zero yield things) were introduced, what you would see is a ,assume reduction in -any- capital movement, as its only taxed if it moves, effectively crippling any growth.  I think the progs know this, and as such, aim at income, as its economic effects are more short term and ironically, less damaging to the economy.