Author Topic: What's Never Seez?  (Read 5163 times)

griz

• friend
Re: What's Never Seez?
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2018, 03:25:28 PM »
When I still wrenched, I kept a bottle of that Silver Anti-Seize for Steel on steel use like lug nuts etc. Great stuff and a little goes a long way!

A little goes a long way and half the time a little will find its way on to your shirt.  We use the copper stuff for everything.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2018, 10:36:55 PM »
A little goes a long way and half the time a little will find its way on to your shirt.  We use the copper stuff for everything.

See my comment up the thread a bit!
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

griz

• friend
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2018, 06:54:12 AM »
Yep, I missed that.  I guess it's the metal in it that doesn't easily wash out.  But it makes you realize how often you brush against things as you work.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2018, 07:04:55 AM »
What kind of anti-seize is recommended for use on steel bolts going into an aluminum thread body?

I have a post light that's cast aluminum, and the bolts that hold the top on are steel. It's always something of a chore to get the bolts out because they're starting to crust in.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2018, 09:11:52 AM »
What kind of anti-seize is recommended for use on steel bolts going into an aluminum thread body?

Check out the LocTite link above. It has recommend applications listed with each product type but, in general, most any anti-seize product is fine for use with aluminum.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2018, 09:17:04 AM »
Also if you've not used it before, be sure to put a little bit under the bolt head, not just on the threads.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2018, 10:03:31 AM »
Excellent. Thanks, guys! I have some general anti-seize compound that I can use.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Sawdust

• friend
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2018, 10:14:23 AM »
You force me into thread veer by reminding me of a joke they used to tell in my part of the patch all the time (I hope I remember it right):

A lawyer, engineer, and oil field worker were enlisted for an experiment. Each man was put in an empty room with three 6" steel balls. They were given five minutes to do anything with them that they wanted.

The lawyer just lined the three balls up in a row.

The engineer placed them into an equilateral triangle.

The oil field worker broke one, lost one, and took the other one home in his lunch bucket.

=D

LOL...sounds about right.  :lol:
Retain what's coming in; send off what is retreating.

Well, you going to pull those pistols boy,
or just whistle Dixie?

I'm your huckleberry.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2018, 06:10:40 PM »
Also if you've not used it before, be sure to put a little bit under the bolt head, not just on the threads.

Also don't forget to reduce the torque if it's a torque-rated connection. Most torque specifications are based on "clean, dry" threads. Putting anti-seize on the threads and under the bolt head (and/or under the nut) allows the wrench to stretch the bolt a lot more with the same applied torque. The reduction varies depending on the bolt diameter and thread pitch but, as a rule, a reduction of about 20 percent should be in the ballpark.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design