Author Topic: Gays in the Military and DADT  (Read 28337 times)

MicroBalrog

• friend
Re: Gays in the Military and DADT
« Reply #75 on: February 28, 2010, 06:08:21 PM »
As we know, dictionaries track usage.  They don't inform very well on proper usage. 

Proper usage changes.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #76 on: February 28, 2010, 06:09:40 PM »
Yes, of course.  I reserve the right to sit in judgment on which changes sound right.  "Gays" sounds really, really stupid.  =)
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #77 on: February 28, 2010, 06:13:12 PM »
RD, I am not trying to squeeze your shoes here, but I gotta tell ya: these same issues apply in the civilian workforce.  Leaving around skin magazines or making gender-, ethnic- or orientation- based jokes in the wrong setting is going to get you counseled or fired after you return to civilian life.  So from that standpoint, I am hard-pressed not to think that the US military, whether point of the spear or in the tail, should not be held to the same standards as the rest of American society.

Wait, WHAT?

We want these men to go out and kill and destroy things and you want them to be "civilized"!??

I'm sorry, I don't want men in the military worrying about the crap that most people have to do in our handcuffed society.

I want them to worry about killing the enemy and avoiding being killed themselves. Period.

But of course, we need a "kinder, gentler" military. It's only civilized, of course.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #78 on: February 28, 2010, 06:19:04 PM »
^^^ I don't want members of the US military raping and pillaging, either.  And your post fails to mention the women in the military.  Which I bet was just an oversight, since they wear the uniform, too.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #79 on: February 28, 2010, 06:20:00 PM »
We want these men to go out and kill and destroy things and you want them to be "civilized"!??

Yes. I do want them to be civilized. I was civilized when I served in the military.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #80 on: February 28, 2010, 06:27:17 PM »
GREAT GOOGLY MOOGLY!

i here i stand agreeing with micro and mellestad et al.
i was a fence sitter till the grand kids went in and i met some of the friends they served with.  what special problems would arise from someone being open about being gay that don't already arise with the flagrant open display of heterosexuality? specifically what problems that couldn't be dealt with as behavioral issues.  it seems that a lot of whats being tap danced around is that some level of homophobic fear would result in some folks being unconfortable.

and we know that that fear has cost us.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=12738695

http://www.gaymilitarysignal.com/history.html

http://jonathanturley.org/2009/05/20/dont-ask-dont-tell-hero-pilot-discharged-for-being-gay
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

taurusowner

« Reply #81 on: February 28, 2010, 06:55:43 PM »
The last thing we need is for some front line troops to come back from a 12 hour mission, start unloading the gear out of their ASV and then when some NCO walks up and says he needs 4 privates for latrine cleanup, if one of them says something like "this is gay"; he's standing in front of some Sergeant Major or Colonel getting docked pay because some fobbit got upset at his "hate speech".  That crap already happens with regards to females, and it's ####ing stupid.  That's not a slight against females being capable of serving.  It IS  criticism of all the touchy feely "don't offend anyone" attitude that is part and parcel with trying to be more inclusive or politically correct.  Real front line soldiers are being hampered from doing their duties and even being punished because people get upset of trivial crap like that.  We don't need it anymore.  Bottom line, 100% of a soldier's focus needs to be on avoiding stepping on IEDs, and not avoiding stepping on some overly sensitive person's toes.

I'm totally fine with homosexuals being in the military.  But the moment even one squad's combat effectiveness is lessened because they have to be concerned with a homosexual's feelings of being welcome, it's not worth it.  This is combat.  Your feelings are not a primary concern, or even secondary.  Or tertiary for that matter.  Your emotions and how welcome you feel should rank about 59,457 out of 60,000 in a list of priorities for a fighting force.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 07:02:31 PM by Ragnar Danneskjold »

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #82 on: March 01, 2010, 02:26:19 AM »
Bottom line, 100% of a soldier's focus needs to be on avoiding stepping on IEDs, and not avoiding stepping on some overly sensitive person's toes.

Well then, the solution is not denying the existence of a certain class of person that already exists in the Army, but correcting the Army brass' overly PC attitude that preoccupies itself with micromanagement and censorship of common human verbal expression. Petition your congresscritter to tell them to stop focusing on "grunt small talk" and there should be no trouble.

As far as "flaunting" themselves, any self respecting serviceman, woman, or anything in between, who takes their service seriously, will be loyal to their unit first and foremost, and won't behave any less uniformly because he/she/it no longer has to deny the fact that they see persons of the same sex when they are off duty. Acceptable behavior and dress code won't change. There won't be approval or tolerance of a machinegunner and his assistant prancing down the field holding hands or getting it on in the showers. They won't be allowed to wear any lipstick, flashy jewelry or walk around in cut down ACUs with a bare torso smeared with baby oil. Just because you are of a given political persuasion doesn't mean you get to sow on a "F' Bush/Obama" shoulder patch; just because you are a Muslim doesn't mean you get to wear a burkah over your face either. Every one gets squared away the same, regardless of their right to be whatever. For the most part, the evidence that people are homosexual would be letters to and from their SOs, and perhaps pictures in their wallets.

BTW, sexual orientation doesn't seem to correlate with military prowess. One of the greatest military characters in history was so light in the sandals, that he probably did pick up more men than a Chinook helicopter. That didn't stop him from killing a lot of people and taking over most of the known world.
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #83 on: March 01, 2010, 09:42:26 AM »
So the Dems in power want to eliminate Don't Ask, Don't Tell as a policy which, if violated, causes one to be summarily discharged with an Honorable Discharge. I personally have no problem with allowing gay people who mind their manners to serve openly and honorably in the armed forces of their country.

But I think it will cause some significant and ugly consequences. I don't want that to happen right now. The Service chiefs agree. General Conway (CMC) has testified to Congress most vocally of all of them that now, with the military under terrific stress from repeated deployments to places where they get killed, is not the time. I agree with them.

What say you?

TC
My sentiments, exactly.  Social experiments with the military in wartime fall into the category of "Very Bad Things."
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #84 on: March 01, 2010, 11:11:13 AM »
Social experiments with the military in wartime fall into the category of "Very Bad Things."

Pretty much this.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

mellestad

• friend
« Reply #85 on: March 01, 2010, 11:49:31 AM »
Wait, WHAT?

I'm sorry, I don't want men in the military worrying about the crap that most people have to do in our handcuffed society.

I want them to worry about killing the enemy and avoiding being killed themselves. Period.

But of course, we need a "kinder, gentler" military. It's only civilized, of course.

I think you do want soldiers to serve in an environment that is not totally different, in some ways, from civilian life, don't you?  You are taking civilians, making them soldiers, then most of them go back to civilian life eventually.  Having an environment where 19 year old kids spend a few tours without any regard to being 'civilized' sounds like a bad idea.  They have enough to worry about without creating new problems with reintegration once they are out.

I agree that the rules should be different, they have to be.  But they can’t be 180 degrees off either.

The last thing we need is for some front line troops to come back from a 12 hour mission, start unloading the gear out of their ASV and then when some NCO walks up and says he needs 4 privates for latrine cleanup, if one of them says something like "this is gay"; he's standing in front of some Sergeant Major or Colonel getting docked pay because some fobbit got upset at his "hate speech".  That crap already happens with regards to females, and it's ####ing stupid.  That's not a slight against females being capable of serving.  It IS  criticism of all the touchy feely "don't offend anyone" attitude that is part and parcel with trying to be more inclusive or politically correct.  Real front line soldiers are being hampered from doing their duties and even being punished because people get upset of trivial crap like that.  We don't need it anymore.  Bottom line, 100% of a soldier's focus needs to be on avoiding stepping on IEDs, and not avoiding stepping on some overly sensitive person's toes.

I'm totally fine with homosexuals being in the military.  But the moment even one squad's combat effectiveness is lessened because they have to be concerned with a homosexual's feelings of being welcome, it's not worth it.  This is combat.  Your feelings are not a primary concern, or even secondary.  Or tertiary for that matter.  Your emotions and how welcome you feel should rank about 59,457 out of 60,000 in a list of priorities for a fighting force.

Two things.  First, it doesn't sound like your problem is with DADT, it is with the way the military enforces interpersonal discipline.  Aren't those separate issues?  Why would issues with homosexuality be any different than the sexism/racism/religion/etc. issues that the military already has systems in place for?

Others have said it very well…homosexuals already serve in the military.  The military has not collapsed.  Why not remove the axe over their heads and treat them with the same discipline that seems to be working for everyone else?

Second, I am not a military man but I imagine the emotional state of your fighting force actually is rather important isn’t it?  I could be wrong, but I doubt “rub some dirt in it” is a good long term policy for the mental health of soldiers on the battlefield.

mellestad

• friend
« Reply #86 on: March 01, 2010, 11:51:17 AM »
GREAT GOOGLY MOOGLY!

i here i stand agreeing with micro and mellestad et al.

We agree on many things, and you always act shocked when it happens!

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #87 on: March 01, 2010, 01:07:23 PM »
I think you do want soldiers to serve in an environment that is not totally different, in some ways, from civilian life, don't you?  You are taking civilians, making them soldiers, then most of them go back to civilian life eventually.  Having an environment where 19 year old kids spend a few tours without any regard to being 'civilized' sounds like a bad idea.  They have enough to worry about without creating new problems with reintegration once they are out.

You do realize that .mil service is essentially a form of militant indentured servitude?  There is nothing like it in the civilian world.  Nothing

Also, just which "civilian life" are you writing about, anyway?  Sounds like office drone work for some diversity-whipped corporation.  Well, not all civvie life is predicated on taking place in a cube farm.  There are whole segments of society where the hyper-feminized/bureaucratized office-drone sensibility does not hold sway(1).  I'd wager a majority of the population lives in such segments.  And a whole lot of of enlisted men come from these yet-to-be-PC-blandified segments of society.

Two things.  First, it doesn't sound like your problem is with DADT, it is with the way the military enforces interpersonal discipline.  Aren't those separate issues?  Why would issues with homosexuality be any different than the sexism/racism/religion/etc. issues that the military already has systems in place for?

These are separate issues, but one is intractable and another is entirely optional.   Choosing to increase the suck found in .mil...

No, scratch that.  Having some corporate/academic/political weenie seek to impose yet another burden of suck on those who do the heavy lifting is grotesque. 

"You already get crapped on for all sorts of reasons, great & small in the .mil, why is getting crapped on one more time a big deal?" is a very weak justification for playing social engineer with people's lives.

Which is really what this is all about: The neutered/feminized SWPL(2) segment seeking to impose its sensibility on the .mil for no other reason than because it can.

(1) Just ask those outraged by California's Prop 8.  It wasn't the "Mormon Vote" that casued it to pass by blow-out margins.
(2) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SWPL
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #88 on: March 01, 2010, 01:14:23 PM »
Having some corporate/academic/political weenie seek to impose yet another burden of suck on those who do the heavy lifting is grotesque. 

Am I a corporate weenie? Or an academic weenie?

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #89 on: March 01, 2010, 01:14:59 PM »
Am I a corporate weenie? Or an academic weenie?

What's your desired profession, again?

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

mellestad

• friend
« Reply #90 on: March 01, 2010, 03:20:29 PM »
You do realize that .mil service is essentially a form of militant indentured servitude?  There is nothing like it in the civilian world.  Nothing

Also, just which "civilian life" are you writing about, anyway?  Sounds like office drone work for some diversity-whipped corporation.  Well, not all civvie life is predicated on taking place in a cube farm.  There are whole segments of society where the hyper-feminized/bureaucratized office-drone sensibility does not hold sway(1).  I'd wager a majority of the population lives in such segments.  And a whole lot of of enlisted men come from these yet-to-be-PC-blandified segments of society.

These are separate issues, but one is intractable and another is entirely optional.   Choosing to increase the suck found in .mil...

No, scratch that.  Having some corporate/academic/political weenie seek to impose yet another burden of suck on those who do the heavy lifting is grotesque. 

"You already get crapped on for all sorts of reasons, great & small in the .mil, why is getting crapped on one more time a big deal?" is a very weak justification for playing social engineer with people's lives.

Which is really what this is all about: The neutered/feminized SWPL(2) segment seeking to impose its sensibility on the .mil for no other reason than because it can.

(1) Just ask those outraged by California's Prop 8.  It wasn't the "Mormon Vote" that casued it to pass by blow-out margins.
(2) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SWPL

Ok.  Good luck getting the world to roll back to "When men were men".

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #91 on: March 01, 2010, 03:25:51 PM »
What's your desired profession, again?

An academic? Not yet. A weenie? Never. I'm certainly not scared of these icky gay people.

And I note that in the military in which I served, gays are drafted along with everybody else. It hasn't caused any of these fictional problems so far.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #92 on: March 01, 2010, 03:35:23 PM »
Because there is no difference between the US and Israel, and everything that works for one country works for all others equally...

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #93 on: March 02, 2010, 01:31:31 AM »
Because there is no difference between the US and Israel, and everything that works for one country works for all others equally...

So clearly we can't know anything for the experience of foreign countries?

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #94 on: March 02, 2010, 02:09:32 AM »
So clearly we can't know anything for the experience of foreign countries?
You're a bit defensive there aren't ya Micro?

And my point needs no hyperbolizing thank you, it stands as I wrote it. Saying "But but but [/random country's] .mil does X, so obviously the US can and should too" is specious on it's face.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #95 on: March 02, 2010, 03:57:17 AM »
That's not what I said and you know it. What I said is this:

"The militaries of several foreign countries allow gay servicemen to perform their duties without any DADT-equivalent policy. They have not suffered any problems or detriments to their forces performance resulting from this. This is an important, and pertinent, piece of information."

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #96 on: March 02, 2010, 08:42:48 AM »
That's not what I said and you know it. What I said is this:

"The militaries of several foreign countries allow gay servicemen to perform their duties without any DADT-equivalent policy. They have not suffered any problems or detriments to their forces performance resulting from this. This is an important, and pertinent, piece of information."

Objection, assumes facts not in evidence.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #97 on: March 02, 2010, 10:31:57 AM »
Objection denied. None of these countries have suffered the sort of widespread problem people are alleging here as a result to the introduction of gays.

mellestad

• friend
« Reply #98 on: March 02, 2010, 12:33:35 PM »
A quick Google of "Gays in UK military service" brought up plenty of papers, articles and reports on homosexual integration into the UK service.  I don't see any that report serious detrimental findings.

The UK service is not identical obviously, but they are a roughly similar military currently engaged in combat, with a recent change to their policy on gay service members.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #99 on: March 02, 2010, 01:16:28 PM »
A quick Google of "Gays in UK military service" brought up plenty of papers, articles and reports on homosexual integration into the UK service.  I don't see any that report serious detrimental findings.

The UK service is not identical obviously, but they are a roughly similar military currently engaged in combat, with a recent change to their policy on gay service members.

And, is the UK military better or worse than the American military?

If better, how?

If worse, to what measure is it worse because of politically correct dictates of their politicians?

If we are unable to make that statement, by what logic can we then apply the observations of the British military experience to a superior American military?