Author Topic: "Night time Seat Belt Enforcement" = BS  (Read 27650 times)

taurusowner

Re: "Night time Seat Belt Enforcement" = BS
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2010, 11:21:30 AM »
but when Officer Friendly decides he needs to up his chance at promotion by generating some more revenue on BS tickets

Spoken by someone who is clearly unaware of what drives promotions.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2010, 11:23:35 AM »
Spoken by someone who is clearly unaware of what drives promotions.

Cops always claim there are no quotas for tickets, that writing lots and lots of tickets doesn't help the chance for promotion etc. Does anyone really believe that?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

alex_trebek

• friend
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2010, 11:26:59 AM »
Ayup. Tying "cops finding criminal activity" with "cops generating revenue for the .gov" was a really, really bad idea.

I agree, and think it us fool hardy from an economic perspective.

A state trooper can make as much as 60k+. Since there is a wide distribution of salaries both within departments and between states, and other associated costs with employment (pension, benefits, etc), I will simply use 60k for this example as the typical total cost per trooper.

Assuming the typical ticket averages 100 dollars, each trooper needs to write 600 tickets just for the state to break even.

Now, if a troopers job is to do nothing but write tickets, this number could easily be met within a month.

There has to be some sort of dimenishing returns. If states decide to start ticketing the crap out of people, they will simply leave. IN started doing this, so I left and took my income taxes with me. The last straw was when an unmarked mustang passed me in the left lane, then decided to hit the breaks and pull me over.

I was not too happy about paying someone 60k a year to joy ride in a mustang and harrass me. Especially while living in one of the top meth producing counties in the US (ie something more important to do).

Since I have left, I have told anyone who would listen the reasons why they shouldn't take any job offers in IN. I can't help but wonder how much that 100 dollar ticket cost the state, even though I had multiple reasons to leave. 

taurusowner

« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2010, 11:28:13 AM »
Cops always claim there are no quotas for tickets, that writing lots and lots of tickets doesn't help the chance for promotion etc. Does anyone really believe that?

Yes.  I have about 30-40 friends and coworkers who are police officers, and no there really are no quotas.  Now, it's pretty obvious you have a bone to pick with police and nothing I say is going to stifle your emotional response to police, so you can say and feel what you want.  But if you care to take the time to do some fact finding and actually go talk some officers, you maybe find yourself with a little more information to counteract those feelings.  But then again, you may believe just walking in the front door of a police station will get you tased.

Also, take a look at the stats for vehicle related deaths in the US and then try to say making sure people don't willing break traffic law isn't an important thing to do.  But again I am certain the emotional response of "Well I felt harassed so I KNOW I must be right" will trump any use of fact or statistics.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2010, 11:29:38 AM »
yea  guys that set records for writing tickets are not admired on their side of the blue line. i've heard them described in less than flattering ways. unfortunately at least once i was cuffed and the cop was writing me while another searched me and got ready to haul off my bike.  the cop cuffing me told me how to beat the tickets though so it worked out ok
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2010, 11:31:31 AM »
The reflective plate is for the reflection of the plate light, not headlights.

Do you even have a clue as to the meaning of the term "retroreflective?"

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2010, 11:39:28 AM »
Interestingly I have friends that are officers too, and they universally say there's no ticket quota, but if you don't write enough expect to get called in front of your supervisor to explain why.  Maybe FL law enforcement is different.

That being said before I drive myself into a bashing frenzy, my outrage metter isin't really pegged because Monkey got pulled over.  Not because it isn't wrong, but I'm feeling in the grand scheme of things we, as a society have bigger problems to deal with.  I yearn for the day when unwarranted traffic stops are the biggest issue we have with LE.

I'll conceed the plate light thing, because there are situations where it's handy to have.  (The main one I can think of is a non-LE witness trying to identify a car leaving a hit and run or similar crime).  But Monkey's light wasn't out.  What we have here is an officer that wanted to (for whatever reason) instigate a stop that he didn't have athourity for.  So he lied.  Quit suger coating it, he lied so he could violate Monkey's rights for 15 min.  The traffic stop is kinda small change really, but I wonder what other stuff this guy is lying about.  Maybe testimony in court if he's "sure" they got the right guy?  How much weight do courts, and the rest of society, give the word of a LEO.  And he's lieing about traffic stops.  Bad Juju.

*Cue the apologists telling me how many felons get arrested because of traffic stops like this*

alex_trebek

• friend
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2010, 11:52:38 AM »
Yes.  I have about 30-40 friends and coworkers who are police officers, and no there really are no quotas.  Now, it's pretty obvious you have a bone to pick with police and nothing I say is going to stifle your emotional response to police, so you can say and feel what you want.  But if you care to take the time to do some fact finding and actually go talk some officers, you maybe find yourself with a little more information to counteract those feelings.  But then again, you may believe just walking in the front door of a police station will get you tased.

Also, take a look at the stats for vehicle related deaths in the US and then try to say making sure people don't willing break traffic law isn't an important thing to do.  But again I am certain the emotional response of "Well I felt harassed so I KNOW I must be right" will trump any use of fact or statistics.

the traffic safety stats don't always accurately reflect reality. The autobahn is statistically much safer than the US interstate system. But the Germans are more restrictive in their licensing. Rural highways are less safe in the US than the interstate, but have lower speed limits and less traffic. There is evidence both ways to show that speeding is either dangerous or can be done safely. That said, I bet you would be hard pressed to legitimately show a correlation/causation between license plate lights and accidents.

Also, just because quotas aren't used in your area, doesn't mean they aren't used in Balog's. Just because your friends don't harass people, doesn't mean there aren't officers who do. It really only takes a small percentage to negatively affect public opinion. Especially with the communication capability these days.

It is the police depts job to protect and serve the collective, not the individual. This is accomplished by looking for "bad" individuals. Therefore, an extreme interpretation demonstrates it is a police officers job to find out what you did wrong, and make sure you are punish accordingly. To some this may involve harassing motorists for going 31 mph in a 30 mph zone, while routinely driving 45 themselves. Others reserve their duties to only the extreme elements of the law.

The very nature of the job means that a police officer is not on the side of any other civilian they interact with. It is only natural for people to feel harrassed when dealing with a police officer, due to very nature of their function in society.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2010, 11:56:50 AM »
I'm not bashing cops RD, if you've seen my posts over the years you know I have a neutral perspective about LEO's. Some are good, some are bad, and all I want is for the bad ones to be prosecuted and the good ones to not support them. Your accusation of "baseless emotional cop bashing" is absurd, and a little use of the search function will demonstrate your folly.

There may be no official quotas, but if your job is traffic enforcement and you don't write enough tickets you can bet it won't do good things for your career. Or so say every cop I've known well enough to ask, who was talking off the record.

None of these points address the issue of the state using "criminal" activity as a means of generating revenue. If you give the state an economic incentive to find people being criminals (indeed, make it a significant source of funding) then of course more people will magically start committing crimes. Funny how that works, eh?

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

taurusowner

« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2010, 12:03:34 PM »
the traffic safety stats don't always accurately reflect reality. The autobahn is statistically much safer than the US interstate system. But the Germans are more restrictive in their licensing. Rural highways are less safe in the US than the interstate, but have lower speed limits and less traffic. There is evidence both ways to show that speeding is either dangerous or can be done safely. That said, I bet you would be hard pressed to legitimately show a correlation/causation between license plate lights and accidents.

Also, just because quotas aren't used in your area, doesn't mean they aren't used in Balog's. Just because your friends don't harass people, doesn't mean there aren't officers who do. It really only takes a small percentage to negatively affect public opinion. Especially with the communication capability these days.

It is the police depts job to protect and serve the collective, not the individual. This is accomplished by looking for "bad" individuals. Therefore, an extreme interpretation demonstrates it is a police officers job to find out what you did wrong, and make sure you are punish accordingly. To some this may involve harassing motorists for going 31 mph in a 30 mph zone, while routinely driving 45 themselves. Others reserve their duties to only the extreme elements of the law.

The very nature of the job means that a police officer is not on the side of any other civilian they interact with. It is only natural for people to feel harrassed when dealing with a police officer, due to very nature of their function in society.

I understand that.  There is a small percentage of bad people in every single profession.  Probably because there are just bad humans.  Police just happen to get singled out more so than the pharmacist at Walgreens who slips himself a few Percocets or the gas station clerk who fills his own car after closing time.  By the very nature of police work, nearly every contact a civilian has with police is going to be for something negative.  Whether it's getting a ticket because you were speeding when going to work causing both a fine and getting yelled at by the boss, or just the feeling of the officer not being seen to do enough when your house got broken into, almost all interaction between police and the populace is centered around a negative event.  I get that.

But I would have hoped that APS being a forum where, dare I say, more rational people tend to flock as opposed to say, democraticundergroud, that the members of this forum would be able to see that the negativity associated with police is in fact mostly a product of plain old associative psychology and good old media sensationalism.  But, I was wrong.  Unfortunately, people here seem to be just as susceptible to feelings of "I felt bad and police were around so police=bad"

Seeing as I'm reading Lord of the Rings, it brings to mind an analogy.  The people of Rohan started calling Gandalf "Stormcrow" and despised seeing him around because he always brought bad news when bad things were happening.  The reality was that he only came to that country when he needed to warn them about something bad that was going to happen anyways.  But they simply saw "Gandalf is here and something bad is about to happen so Gandalf must be bringing the evil here"

taurusowner

« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2010, 12:09:02 PM »
I'm not bashing cops RD, if you've seen my posts over the years you know I have a neutral perspective about LEO's. Some are good, some are bad, and all I want is for the bad ones to be prosecuted and the good ones to not support them. Your accusation of "baseless emotional cop bashing" is absurd, and a little use of the search function will demonstrate your folly.

There may be no official quotas, but if your job is traffic enforcement and you don't write enough tickets you can bet it won't do good things for your career. Or so say every cop I've known well enough to ask, who was talking off the record.

None of these points address the issue of the state using "criminal" activity as a means of generating revenue. If you give the state an economic incentive to find people being criminals (indeed, make it a significant source of funding) then of course more people will magically start committing crimes. Funny how that works, eh?

Or you could look at it the othe way and notice that when people notice police cars hanging around a certain area, their speed in that area goes down and traffic collisions do to.  Or when police start hanging around certain bars at closing time, OWIs in that particular area drop too.

People hate getting caught.  Paying fines sucks.  They may grumble about those damn police slowing down their commute to work, but you can be sure they keep it under the speed limit when they see that car sitting by the side of the road.  And hating getting caught comes into play with the reaction to.  Ever hear a coworker describe the last ticket he or she may have gotten?  It's NEVER their own fault of course, it is ALWAYS that damn cop singling them out and pulling them over when they did nothing wrong.  That is of course untrue, and they know damn well they were breaking the law.  The are just mad they weren't able to get away with it this time, and the human mind hates assigning blame to itself, so it blames the cop.

• friends
« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2010, 12:10:18 PM »
do they have cams in that area?  miked officers?  then monkey has been given an opportunity to strike a blow for freedom. he can foia the tape and do something.  its a great chance for him to not just be an internet commando and send a message. or not. he'd have to decide if the principle means more than a post on aps.
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

red headed stranger

• friend
« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2010, 12:12:47 PM »
QFT.  Tell a cop you're done and you're leaving the illegal detention and see what he says.  Odds you get tasered and cuffed.

And then people all over the internet will get to argue about whether you deserved to get tased or not.   [popcorn]
Those who learn from history are doomed to watch others repeat it

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2010, 12:20:09 PM »
What is interesting is that I am 50 years old, and the last time I had a traffic stop was decades ago.  I think I was in my 20's.  Could it be that bald, middle-aged white males are not cop magnets?  

Know who else is a cop magnet?  

1. Small, harmless-looking white gals in cities that have begun recording the race of those pulled over to combat profiling.  Risk-free way of bumping the numbers of white folks one pulls over and perhaps generate revenue, if some infraction can be ticketed.

2. People on the way to church at 7:30AM Sunday.  When I still had a radar detector, I got more positive hits on the highway then than at any other time.  Another risk-free way to generate revenue and pad the race count.

Also, take a look at the stats for vehicle related deaths in the US and then try to say making sure people don't willing break traffic law isn't an important thing to do.  But again I am certain the emotional response of "Well I felt harassed so I KNOW I must be right" will trump any use of fact or statistics.

Err, not quite...

yea  guys that set records for writing tickets are not admired on their side of the blue line. i've heard them described in less than flattering ways. unfortunately at least once i was cuffed and the cop was writing me while another searched me and got ready to haul off my bike.  the cop cuffing me told me how to beat the tickets though so it worked out ok

There usually is no explicit quota, but there is an accepted range and going below or above that range by a significant amount will attract negative attention.  If you have easy access to public records, take a sampling of what day of the week/month they are issued on.  You'll likely see a convex beta distribution when plotted over a calendar time period (usually month):

Red =JotS Blue=Lackadaisical Green=Combined

Why?  Johnny-on-the-spot traffic LEOs get into the accepted range right quick and then coast the rest of the month.  More lackadaisical traffic LEOs coast most of the month and than hurry to get their numbers up.

It functions like a quota and looks like a quota.  To anyone not invested in the myth, it is a quota.

do they have cams in that area?  miked officers?  then monkey has been given an opportunity to strike a blow for freedom. he can foia the tape and do something.  its a great chance for him to not just be an internet commando and send a message. or not. he'd have to decide if the principle means more than a post on aps.

My suggestion, too.  Matter of fact, this sort of thing ought to be done more often. 

Of course, that takes time...in addition to the time already involuntarily taken from him.  I think most petty abusers of power rely on their targets making a cost/benefit analysis and deciding it is not worth the trouble.  It is only folks who reject the common sense conclusion and eating the cost of taking it further.  Of course, the abusers use that against those who would hold them accountable, indicating that their accusers are unreasonable, deranged, irrational, etc. for going to the mat over a petty abuse.

Last, I really must question the intelligence, imagination, & motivation of the LEO int OP.  There are so many infractions he can draw on as a "legitimate" reason to pull someone over.  Musta rode the short bus to school.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

red headed stranger

• friend
« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2010, 12:21:27 PM »
Two of my former college roommates are now homicide detectives.  One in Kansas city, one in St Louis.  

They both told me that there were no ticket quotas when they were beat cops, but both of their departments had minimum engagement expectations.  Meaning, that they were expected to interface with the public a certain number of times a month.  Of course, a really easy way to up that number is to give out a few traffic citations.  

• friends
« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2010, 12:23:24 PM »
are they running a "click it or ticket " program there?  thats where the brass/politicians decide they need some pr.  and declare goals for the grunts to meet . it eresults in a slew of seatbelt tickets to satify the need for a photo op

alex_trebek

• friend
« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2010, 12:27:14 PM »
RD:
I think it is rational to hold the police as a group to a higher standard. At the very least the need to follow the laws they enforce. It doesn't take much for anyones opinion to change.

I personally come from an area where the police are, frankly, corrupt. It is an everyday occurance to witness a cruiser run a red light, with their family in the car. I personally know police officers that openly talk about getting drunk walking around in street clothes and arresting people for public intoxication.

The same people who go to work, clock in, go home and go back to bed. I could go on, but the difference between a walgreens employee stealing drugs and a police officer doing the same is they are public employees. The people they are harassing/arresting are the people who are required by law to pay money to the officers employer. This means they are under a microscope.

I think it is only rational for a person to assume that if they have done nothing seriously wrong, that any given police officer is only looking for a reason to arrest/ticket someone. That is simply their job, and if you are aware that some police are bad apples, there is a chance that the officer in question is one of these.

So then, at least on my mind, if this person possibly routinely violates "small" laws, what is stopping them from committing "bigger" crimes? If a person is alone in a secluded area with an officer that is armed, whose word is practically taken as gospel in a court of law, and is potentially corrupt it is only natural to have strong feelings of bad juju.  This is basically feeling harrassed, and when it is for no reason at all, it only hurts the police as community. Even in the eyes of the most rational person.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 12:32:02 PM by alex_trebek »

taurusowner

« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2010, 12:30:03 PM »
I think it is rational to hold the police as a group to a higher standard. At the very least the need to follow the laws they enforce. It doesn't take much for anyones opinion to change.

I personally come from an area where the police are, frankly, corrupt. It is an everyday occurance to witness a cruiser run a red light, with their family in the car. I personally know police officers that openly talk about getting drunk walking around in street clothes and arresting people for public intoxication.

The same people who go to work, clock in, go home and go back to bed.

So as a citizen of that area, dare I ask, what are you doing about it other than just getting angry at the entire profession of law enforcement?

• friends
« Reply #43 on: May 12, 2010, 12:32:57 PM »
well hes posted on the internet about it.... [popcorn]

red headed stranger

• friend
« Reply #44 on: May 12, 2010, 12:33:14 PM »
 There is a small percentage of bad people in every single profession.  

RD wrote in another thread:
I'll believe that a lot more when they start policing their own group and trying to improve the image.  Much like that "only a small % of Muslims are terrorists" sentiment.  When any group allows a small sect to act out in bad ways, and yet does nothing to clean it up internally to improve their overall image, I don't take any claims of "well they don't represent us" seriously.

I agree!   =D

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #45 on: May 12, 2010, 12:35:41 PM »
So tell Officer Fisherman to write the damn license plate lamp ticket, and you'll subpoena his dashcam video and he can explain to the judge why he lied on his report.  (you have to be a 50 year old white guy to get away with this)

You said earlier you were detained for 15 minutes; how do you know you were not free to leave?  Did you ask?
"It's good, though..."

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #46 on: May 12, 2010, 01:01:54 PM »
RD: you make broad baseless accusations that bypass the arguments presented to you, then claim it is your opponents who are operating on emotion.

alex_trebek

• friend
« Reply #47 on: May 12, 2010, 01:10:18 PM »
So as a citizen of that area, dare I ask, what are you doing about it other than just getting angry at the entire profession of law enforcement?

I moved away from the area. I apologize if I gave the impression of being angry at the profession.

I was trying to say that a rational person sees flagrant abuse of authority, and simply assumes it exists to some extent else where. It is only logical. So combine this potential for abuse, with the system that puts all the chips in the hands of the officer/state (going so far as having to prove innocence to fight a traffic ticket; an admittedly minor, but IMO important violation of civil rights), it is only natural for even the most rational mind to view any given police officer as a potential enemy. The system as both designed and practiced encourages it in some locations.

I don't say this as cop bashing at all, it is simply the way the system is.  It is irrational to expect people to betray their nature. In other words, I see an officer and I assume that person is corrupt, not because it is the most likely scenario, but because it is the worse case scenario. To stay safe I have to plan for the worse, and do everything I can to avoid any interaction at all.

I have not met any police officer that was too terribly concerned with other police officers violating the law. Since I have know both bad and good officers, I can only draw conclusions based on direct observation. Frankly the conclusion is: Some LEOs are bad, some are good. I have seen no evidence that the good are interested in any way in policing the bad.

You yourself indicated that it is the citizens job to police the LEO's. I really have to ask, what can a citizen do? What rights does a citizen have against a police officer? The job is appointed, not elected. The chief's position is even appointed in some areas.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #48 on: May 12, 2010, 01:34:08 PM »
What is interesting is that I am 50 years old, and the last time I had a traffic stop was decades ago.  I think I was in my 20's.  Could it be that bald, middle-aged white males are not cop magnets?  

You could try driving faster >:D
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #49 on: May 12, 2010, 01:39:31 PM »
My brother is a cop and when he was patrolling he had been the top ticket writer, there was a friendly competition between the cops in his small PD. He said it was like shooting fish in a barrel and he would let people go all the time, lots, nurses,EMT's construction workers and parents always got a free pass ( as well as cops of course, that's NY for ya )
He now is a detective so he has the easy life. =|
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."