Author Topic: Very odd comment by Governor Palin  (Read 27699 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Very odd comment by Governor Palin
« on: January 12, 2011, 08:12:43 PM »
http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE70B3W320110112

How very odd of Governor Palin to use the term 'blood libel'.  This has been associated with anti-Semitic issues for centuries and refers to the alleged Jewish practice of murdering Christian children to use their blood for religious rituals.

I wonder if she used the term inadvertently, or is trying to send some sort of message.   Coming across as anti-Semitic will not benefit her political career. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
Re: Very odd comment by Governor Palin
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 08:21:53 PM »
"That word does not mean what you think it means!"

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 08:22:10 PM »
I don't know how smart it was, but it was a great use of the phrase.  It is exactly what is going on.  Her opponents are slandering her by blaming the massacre on her.  Now everybody is all upset and feigning great insult when she calls them on it because they know it's true.

It's a little more to-the-point than just telling everybody "F.U.", don't ya think?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 08:40:58 PM by zxcvbob »
"It's good, though..."

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 08:41:54 PM »
I've been hearing all day how "blood libel" is some sort of Jewish thing, that it's anti-semitic.  This is news to me, because I've also heard the term used to describe attacks on early Christians ("blood" being a reference to Holy Communion).

As I understand it, it's any situation where one group falsely accuses another group of heinous acts, then uses those phony accusations as justification to abuse them in some way.  It need not involve religion at all.

"Joe feeds little children to sharks, therefore we should go steal his car."

As I understand the term, it applies perfectly to the Palin situation.  The left accuses Palin of being complicit in the murders, then uses that as justification to savage her politically.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2011, 08:46:57 PM »
^^^^ How interesting.  Pretty much every context (my reading of historical fiction and European history) in which I have heard of the term was directed against the Jewish people.  I think that in many circles, it is considered only as an anti-Semitic concept.  

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_libel

zxcvbob

• friend
"It's good, though..."

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2011, 09:03:52 PM »
^^^^ How interesting.  Pretty much every context (my reading of historical fiction and European history) in which I have heard of the term was directed against the Jewish people.  I think that in many circles, it is considered only as an anti-Semitic concept.  

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_libel
Maybe it's a regional thing.

???

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2011, 09:10:10 PM »
Coming across as anti-Semitic will not benefit her political career.

How is it anti-Semitic to compare something horrible done to innocent Jews, to something horrible being done to innocent non-Democrats/Leftists  ???

When one says for instance that somebody would be "crucified" for some action, is that anti-Christian...?

Or maybe it's anti-Italian  :P
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2011, 09:39:04 PM »
Here is the context

Vigorous and spirited public debates during elections are among our most cherished traditions.  And after the election, we shake hands and get back to work, and often both sides find common ground back in D.C. and elsewhere. If you don’t like a person’s vision for the country, you’re free to debate that vision. If you don’t like their ideas, you’re free to propose better ideas. But, especially within hours of a tragedy unfolding, journalists and pundits should not manufacture a blood libel that serves only to incite the very hatred and violence they purport to condemn. That is reprehensible.

I'm not seeing any thing anti-Semitic here, what am I missing?

It looks to me like she is drawing a direct comparison to the slandering of the right wing, especially her, with the historical unwarranted slander against the Jewish people.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2011, 09:41:36 PM »
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2011, 09:56:23 PM »
I'm not seeing any thing anti-Semitic here, what am I missing?
The way I see it, it's not anti-Semitic, it's something done by anti-Semites.
"Refers to a false accusation or claim[3][4][5] that religious minorities, in European contexts almost always Jews, murder children to use their blood in certain aspects of their religious rituals and holidays."

She should've used 'horse****' instead.

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2011, 10:29:52 PM »
Yes, but some people who are certain that they are more equal that other people are also certain that any inappropriate appropriation of another group's culture or history is all about hate.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2011, 10:34:47 PM »
Interesting to see the new direction the public debate is taking since Palin's comment.

I wonder if that was by design.

I wonder how many other people have that much ability to influence the public discussion.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2011, 11:28:37 PM »
I wonder how many other people have that much ability to influence the public discussion.

I don't know, as I didn't see Obama's "performance" at the Arizona ceremony. Did he manage to call for healing while simultaneously stabbing Palin, Limbaugh, the Tea Party, and anyone else who disagrees with him? That's his MO.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2011, 11:45:53 PM »
I don't know, as I didn't see Obama's "performance" at the Arizona ceremony. Did he manage to call for healing while simultaneously stabbing Palin, Limbaugh, the Tea Party, and anyone else who disagrees with him? That's his MO.

Very Presidential

http://m.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2011/01/12/remarks-president-barack-obama-memorial-service-victims-shooting-tucson

For the truth is none of us can know exactly what triggered this vicious attack.  None of us can know with any certainty what might have stopped these shots from being fired, or what thoughts lurked in the inner recesses of a violent man’s mind.  Yes, we have to examine all the facts behind this tragedy.  We cannot and will not be passive in the face of such violence.  We should be willing to challenge old assumptions in order to lessen the prospects of such violence in the future.  (Applause.)  But what we cannot do is use this tragedy as one more occasion to turn on each other.  (Applause.)  That we cannot do.  (Applause.)  That we cannot do.

As we discuss these issues, let each of us do so with a good dose of humility.  Rather than pointing fingers or assigning blame, let’s use this occasion to expand our moral imaginations, to listen to each other more carefully, to sharpen our instincts for empathy and remind ourselves of all the ways that our hopes and dreams are bound together.  (Applause.)
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2011, 01:47:15 AM »
The irony of this is that while conservatives are now upset at being blamed for the acts of an individual extremists, if this had been a guy with a Muslim name, the conservative pundits would've been first in line to bash Islam & Muslims as responsible.

"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2011, 02:36:29 AM »
Very Presidential

http://m.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2011/01/12/remarks-president-barack-obama-memorial-service-victims-shooting-tucson

We should be willing to challenge old assumptions in order to lessen the prospects of such violence in the future.

Old assumptions, like a right to free speech or self-defense?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2011, 03:16:42 AM »
The irony of this is that while conservatives are now upset at being blamed for the acts of an individual extremists, if this had been a guy with a Muslim name, the conservative pundits would've been first in line to bash Islam & Muslims as responsible.

While there is a definite tendency to exaggerate the non-threat of Islamic extremism, this does not draw from the validity of the statements made in this thread.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2011, 08:02:08 AM »

Well, when they holler out allahu akbar and then commence to slaughter, one might get the impression Islam might have something to do about it.

Those squawking about the use of the term "blood libel" I expect to stop using the term "quisling" for anything other than a Norwegian betraying his countrymen to fascists.  To do anything else would be anti-Norwegian.  We must be sensitive to their long history of oppression by Danes, Swedes, and Germans.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2011, 08:29:27 AM »
I think some terms are so associated with certain political beliefs as to be irrevocably so associated.  "Blood libel', despite any protests to the contrary, is associated with anti-Semitism, due to a centuries-long history of being so used in that specific context.  If Governor Palin had been giving a speech about immigration and used the term 'lebensraum', would we we claim that she inadvertently used a term so associated with Nazi ideology, or was she sending a coded message?  I would lean towards the latter, and I would say that about anyone on the political spectrum.

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2011, 08:35:21 AM »
Palinn is right, Blood Libel is apt. If the leftwing media and elected critters don't like is, they can pound sand
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2011, 08:52:00 AM »
I think some terms are so associated with certain political beliefs as to be irrevocably so associated.  "Blood libel', despite any protests to the contrary, is associated with anti-Semitism, due to a centuries-long history of being so used in that specific context.  If Governor Palin had been giving a speech about immigration and used the term 'lebensraum', would we we claim that she inadvertently used a term so associated with Nazi ideology, or was she sending a coded message?  I would lean towards the latter, and I would say that about anyone on the political spectrum.

Plus it's a chance for lefties to scream: "SHE'S SENDING SECRET NAZI MESSAGES!!!1111!!"

Seriously? You can't step back and see that libellously accusing someone of murder, i.e. Rep. Gabrielle Giffords' blood is on Sarah Palin's hands after putting cross hair over district, isn't a type blood libel?

Of course you know it is. You and the leftist media just want to find SOMETHING to attack her, and by association, conservatives.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2011, 09:01:15 AM »

Apples to oranges.
There is no proof that he was at all encouraged by right wing talk radio, and some proof to the contrary.
But in all the attacks by "muslim named" individuals, there is proof that they were influenced by the fiery rhetoric of certain imams.
Your right wing bash, is fail.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2011, 09:05:26 AM »
Plus it's a chance for lefties to scream: "SHE'S SENDING SECRET NAZI MESSAGES!!!1111!!"

Seriously? You can't step back and see that libellously accusing someone of murder, i.e. Rep. Gabrielle Giffords' blood is on Sarah Palin's hands after putting cross hair over district, isn't a type blood libel?

Of course you know it is. You and the leftist media just want to find SOMETHING to attack her, and by association, conservatives.

I myself would not use the term 'blood libel' because of my opinion as to the anti-Semitic association, and I do not propound, espouse or support anti-Semitism.  I suspect that many people had never heard of the term before the current controversy; I have known it for 35 years based on my reading, and I think it is so associated with anti-Semitic issues to have an irrevocable taint.