Author Topic: Guns and ammo column: Dick Metcalf thinks Illinois training is reasonable  (Read 23538 times)

fifth_column

• friend
Re: Guns and ammo column: Dick Metcalf thinks Illinois training is reasonable
« Reply #100 on: November 12, 2013, 10:23:46 AM »
So he's talking about the ability of the Congress to "regulate" interstate commerce, and the ruling is that "regulate" can include "prohibit." That's not the same thing at all as the different avenues of definition for "regulate" as in "control" (enact regulations to limit an activity) vs. "regulate" as used in the Second Amendment, where it means "trained, practiced, coordinated, made uniform, ..."

That letter was NOT written by an attorney, and it is a masterpiece of an example of how NOT to draft an amicus brief to the Supreme Court.

I don't see any bleed-over at all.

I pretty much leave the legalese to others better suited to it than I. 

I like the line:  "The natives are beyond restless. They are at the stage of collecting torches and pitchforks and preparing to head for the castle gates en masse."

Also he quotes JFK:  "Those who make peaceful revolution impossible make violent revolution inevitable."
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

Triphammer

• friend
« Reply #101 on: November 16, 2013, 10:12:01 PM »
He's still not seeing his views as the problem.

http://www.alphecca.com/?p=2744

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #102 on: November 17, 2013, 09:54:07 AM »
He's still not seeing his views as the problem.

http://www.alphecca.com/?p=2744

Further proof that he has become senile.

Either that, or Mr. Metcalf is far more of an elitist than I picked up on from his previous writings. I have to admit, I have never liked Dick Metcalf's writing, and I have probably skipped over far more of his articles than I have read over the years, but the elitism was blatant and heavy in this terminal op-ed article.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #103 on: November 17, 2013, 09:30:18 PM »
His response was certainly elitist. These people just don't understand....  the nerve....   He has been in this bubble for a long time.  He supposively was instrumental in the passage of the IL law since IL didn't want any law for concealed carry.  But he seems very willing to accept "reasonable gun controls" at this stage of his life.  I think he has given up fighting . Good that he will not be part of the G&A group.
It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)