Author Topic: Guns and ammo column: Dick Metcalf thinks Illinois training is reasonable  (Read 23539 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Guns and ammo column: Dick Metcalf thinks Illinois training is reasonable
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2013, 11:57:37 PM »
i.e. "I think only the middle class on up should have RKBA and CCW, but of course I can't come right out and say so..."

THIS! Gun control is mostly a question of how rich/important one should have to be in order to have guns. Can't have the dirty little people going about armed, can we?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2013, 01:01:53 AM »
Dammit....  I really liked Hornady products and the customer service they provided, especially when I had a problem with their power Case Prep Center that SWMBO got me....    I suppose they get one chance to either state that the e-mail is not really their company position, or backpedal awful quick.  'Cause otherwise, they're not gonna get one more cent of my money.
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2013, 11:51:30 AM »

THIS! Gun control is mostly a question of how rich/important one should have to be in order to have guns. Can't have the dirty little brown people going about armed, can we?
FTFY

Remember that all gun control is racist.  The Illinois FOID card act and the 1968 GCA were passed because those people were getting all uppity and throwing riots and whatnot.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 02:58:18 PM by scout26 »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2013, 12:34:30 PM »
Seems to me that just like the VA Governor's race indicates there's a fight over the ideological center of the GOP With the Tea Party and Libertarians trying to pull it to the small-government/right axes on the political grid, with the RINO's pulling towards the Center/Left and the big-government-just-not-as-big-as-the-Dems want, there's a similar fight in the gun community.

A loose confederation of elitists and Fudds who are only cool with RKBA as long as it seems appropriately sanctioned by society at large and the government, and the hard-corps no-quarter crowd.

It seems that the no-quarter crowd, in terms of the overwhelming CCW and tactical direction the market's taken since the 90's has been winning lately.

One hopes for a similar win for control of the GOP.
I promise not to duck.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2013, 06:36:30 PM »
FTFY

As one of the dirty little white people who can just barely afford the costs of concealed carry (and doesn't much appreciate the artificial costs imposed by the permit system), I do not like your fix. The brown man doesn't have it any harder (in this context) than I do. The brown guy doesn't suffer any more discrimination than I do.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2013, 08:35:33 PM »
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2013, 09:02:22 PM »
Writer and the editor? Zumboni is getting moar effective it seems.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Triphammer

• friend
« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2013, 09:07:42 PM »
Writer got Zumbonied. Editor fell on his sword for the sake of the magazine.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2013, 09:19:02 PM »
Writer got Zumbonied. Editor fell on his sword for the sake of the magazine.

Po tay toh, po tah toh. Multiple folks are looking for work, that's really what I care about.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2013, 09:24:09 PM »
Dayum.....    Curious to see what Hornady's response is.....  E-mailed them last night, no reply yet.....   I imagine that with the editor of G&A committing seppuku, they might be backtracking a big.
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

DustinD

• I have a title
  • friends
  • I have a personal text message
« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2013, 09:54:25 PM »
My biggest complaint about Hornady's and Dick Metcalf's letters are the tone and insulting nature. They each act like we are too dumb to understand them and they show a complete lack of respect, and even contempt for the large majority of people who disagree with them.
"I don't always shoot defenceless women in the face, but when I do, I prefer H-S Precision.

Stay bloodthirsty, my friends."

- Lon Horiuchi

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2013, 10:38:25 PM »
" Since we were founded in 1949, Hornady has been, and always will be, a strong proponent of the 2nd Amendment. We have fought alongside the NRA, NSSF and numerous other national organizations, and Political Action Committees to fend off any attacks and proposed limitations of our 2nd Amendment Rights, at both the national and state level.

Dick Metcalf’s recent op-ed article in the December edition of Guns & Ammo has brought him and the company he works for (Intermedia) under attack. We (Steve & Jason Hornady and senior management) know Dick Metcalf well. Over the years we’ve shared many meals, stories and created tons of “empty brass” together at media events, trade shows and campfires, and we have always found him to be a staunch supporter of the 2nd amendment and firearm rights. Dick is our friend in spite of the fact that we don’t agree with his opinions represented in the article in question.

We’ve had a very good working relationship with Intermedia and their predecessors for over 50 years. We believe they will resolve this issue and continue to run a great company."
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2013, 10:39:11 PM »
We apologize for the response as it was written. We have identified and dealt with the staffer responsible and it won’t happen again.
Steve Hornady"

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #39 on: November 06, 2013, 10:49:12 PM »
The directors of the firm hired to continue the credits after the other people had been sacked, wish it to be known that they have just been sacked. The credits have been completed in an entirely different style at great expense and at the last minute. Executive Producer JOHN GOLDSTONE & "RALPH" The Wonder Llama Producer MARK FORSTATER Assisted By EARL J. LLAMA MIKE Q. LLAMA III SY LLAMA MERLE Z. LLAMA IX Directed By 40 SPECIALLY TRAINED ECUADORIAN MOUNTAIN LLAMAS 6 VENEZUELAN RED LLAMAS 142 MEXICAN WHOOPING LLAMAS 14 NORTH CHILEAN GUANACOS (CLOSELY RELATED TO THE LLAMA) REG LLAMA OF BRIXTON 76000 BATTERY LLAMAS FROM "LLAMA-FRESH" FARMS LTD. NEAR PARAGUAY and TERRY GILLIAM & TERRY JONES

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #40 on: November 06, 2013, 11:18:28 PM »
Just FYI, Harold and everyone else...

TFL and APS have virtually identical copyrighted materials policies.

Why is that?

Because I wrote it. I wrote it for TFL, and then gave it to APS (Mtnbkr, specifically).

If your post was deleted for a copyrighted materials policy violation, you should have received a warning or infraction for it, but I'm not finding anything.

In fact, there have been no copyrighted materials policy issues at TFL since October 20.

What is your user name at TFL? I want to find out exactly what's going on because if you did post this at TFL, and it was deleted and you didn't at least receive notification as to why, someone isn't doing his job, and that pisses me off.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #41 on: November 07, 2013, 12:15:07 AM »
i was logged out when i checked back on my post.

when i logged back in, i had a private message.

the tfl and aps archives of this event will be useless with out the full text of his screed

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #42 on: November 07, 2013, 07:00:38 AM »
"the tfl and aps archives of this event will be useless with out the full text of his screed"

Tom's PM was not a screed; I've read it. It was a simple request that you review TFL's copyrighted materials policy. Even though the Righthaven threat has diminished, we still take the subject very seriously.

He has subsequently issued you a warning, but you can ignore that. It is NOT an escalation, it is a record keeping step that I requested that he take.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #43 on: November 07, 2013, 08:09:23 AM »
i was referring to the guns and ammo published piece as a screed

try looking up an anti gun newspaper article of note from the clinton era

the only archive maybe attached to a web forum

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #44 on: November 07, 2013, 08:49:42 AM »

My apologies for misunderstanding.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #45 on: November 07, 2013, 09:23:25 AM »

try looking up an anti gun newspaper article of note from the clinton era

the only archive maybe attached to a web forum

You can find it the old fashioned by searching through the searches (like Lexus-Nexus) and paper archives found in libraries. The Internet has made a lot of people lazy for digging for information.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 11:04:53 AM by charby »
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #46 on: November 07, 2013, 12:41:43 PM »

As one of the dirty little white people who can just barely afford the costs of concealed carry (and doesn't much appreciate the artificial costs imposed by the permit system), I do not like your fix. The brown man doesn't have it any harder (in this context) than I do. The brown guy doesn't suffer any more discrimination than I do.

You may not like it, but that is the reason those were passed.  A couple of assassinations, the Watts and MLK riots, Black Panthers marching around openly with guns was enough to spur these legislative acts.  The reason was racist.  You, as a dirty little white person, are merely collateral damage in the war on dirty little brown people owning guns.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #47 on: November 07, 2013, 07:11:24 PM »
i posted the text on tfl yesterday and they deleted my post

Maybe yours was a duplicate? There is a lengthy discussion thread on Metcalf's editorial suicide running on TFL right now.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #48 on: November 07, 2013, 07:47:10 PM »

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #49 on: November 08, 2013, 09:41:33 AM »
Maybe yours was a duplicate? There is a lengthy discussion thread on Metcalf's editorial suicide running on TFL right now.

Read my posts. I've already established, authoritatively, why it was removed.