Author Topic: Delusions of the Pope  (Read 12010 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Delusions of the Pope
« on: September 30, 2015, 10:11:29 AM »
http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/pope-francis-visits-america/kim-davis-lawyer-claims-she-had-secret-meeting-pope-francis-n435916

The clandestine communication occurred in Washington, D.C., on Thursday — the same day as the pontiff's historic speech to a joint session of Congress, according to Liberty Counsel, which has represented Davis in her legal battles.
In a statement released by Liberty Counsel, Davis says she was "humbled" and never thought she would be granted an audience with the popular and unpredictable pontiff. The conservative legal nonprofit said Davis and her husband, Joe, shared face time with Francis at the Vatican Embassy.

She and the pontiff hugged, and he presented her and her husband with two rosaries, which she is giving to her parents, who are Catholic, Liberty Counsel said.

"Who am I to have this rare opportunity? I am just a county clerk who loves Jesus and desires with all my heart to serve him," Davis said in the statement. "Pope Francis was kind, genuinely caring, and very personable. He even asked me to pray for him. Pope Francis thanked me for my courage and told me to 'stay strong.'"

Davis was in Washington for the Values Voter Summit, where the Family Research Council, which opposes same-sex marriage, presented her with an award for defying the federal judge.

NBC News could not immediately verify Liberty Counsel's statements with the Vatican.

But the Rev. Federico Lombardi, a Vatican spokesman, didn't deny the encounter took place but told The Associated Press that he had no comment on the topic.

In an interview with ABC News on Wednesday morning, Davis said "it was really very humbling to even think that he would even want to meet me, or know me."

I called Graingers - they are out of BS-meters and with current demand for backorders they don't think I can get one earlier than March 2016.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: Delusions of the Pope
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2015, 10:21:38 AM »
http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/pope-francis-visits-america/kim-davis-lawyer-claims-she-had-secret-meeting-pope-francis-n435916

I called Graingers - they are out of BS-meters and with current demand for backorders they don't think I can get one earlier than March 2016.

What's the delusion?

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/30/us/county-clerk-kim-davis-who-denied-gay-couples-visited-pope.html?_r=0

On Wednesday, the Vatican spokesman, the Rev. Federico Lombardi, confirmed the meeting, but he declined to elaborate. “I do not deny that the meeting took place, but I have no other comments to add,” he said.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2015, 11:06:30 AM »
Let's see here -

But the Rev. Federico Lombardi, a Vatican spokesman, didn't deny the encounter took place but told The Associated Press that he had no comment on the topic.

When did "I do not deny ...." become a confirmation.  Especially when you add in a "No comment."

Admittedly it is more polite that "I will not dignify that with a response."

The couple met for about 15 minutes with the pope, who was accompanied by security, aides and photographers. Mr. Staver said he expected to receive photographs of the meeting from the Vatican soon.

How about we wait until the Vatican releases those photos, or at least sends them to Kim Davis who most likely will go rushing to the press waving them over her head.  Or maybe you want to offer a comment about why, at an arranged meeting, Mr & Mrs Davis did not bring their own camera to take selfies with the Pope.

With the press coverage of the Pope I seriously doubt that anybody could be "sneaked in" after arriving by car.  I had originally thought of the possibility of a service tunnel, but the statement that they arrived by car put that to rest.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2015, 11:21:38 AM »
So she said she met with the Pope. Liberty Counsel says she met with the Pope, right? And the Pope's spokesdude says she met with the Pope.

So what exactly are the reasons for skepticism?

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2015, 12:30:12 PM »
Who cares?
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2015, 12:49:23 PM »
I vote for the above. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2015, 06:05:43 PM »
A "popular and unpredictable" Pope?

One who apparently grants audiences with the hoi polloi?

Heh.  In my foolish youth --I was thirty or forty at the time --I wrote to the Pope requesting that since the earth is so overpopulated, perhaps he could petition G-d to release us from the "go forth and multiply" dictum since we have obviously fulfilled that charge already by now.  In full measure, pressed down, and overflowing.

No answer.

Maybe I ought to try again.

Terry
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2015, 07:08:32 PM »
I was going to say 'who cares?' as well, but I noticed an interesting quote in the paper today....
"Francis DeBernardo, executive director of New Ways Ministry, a gay Catholic organization agreed, saying in a statement that the meeting "throws a wet blanket on the good will that the pontiff had garnered during his U.S. visit last week."

But the meeting is "puzzling" for several reasons, DeBernardo continued. The pontiff steered clear of political debates during his trip to the U.S. and has in the past promoted a welcoming attitude toward gays DeBernardo noted. But the Vatican denied an invitation for a meeting between the pope and gay families during his U.S. visit, which makes the meeting with Davis all the more painful.

“Though LGBT and ally Catholics have welcomed Pope Francis’ affirming remarks,  many, including myself, have also remarked that he sometimes talks out of both sides of his mouth,” DeBernardo wrote. “Moreover, while he is LGBT-positive in general ways, his remarks on specific moral and political issues are often at odds with his welcoming stance.”"
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/pope-kim-davis-lgbt-catholics_560c3fcee4b0dd85030a720a
It seems the lgbtbbqueers in the church feel disrespected by the pope since he took the time to meet with kim davis. This is probably why there is such a social media push to try to quickly change the reality if what really happened.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2015, 08:02:15 PM »

It seems the lgbtbbqueers in the church feel disrespected by the pope since he took the time to meet with kim davis. This is probably why there is such a social media push to try to quickly change the reality if what really happened.

I really wish we could treat the lgbtbbqueers like the statistically insignificant minority they are.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2015, 10:06:15 PM »
I really wish we could treat the lgbtbbqueers like the statistically insignificant minority they are.

I think the anti gunners think the same way about the pro gun folks.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2015, 10:12:11 PM »
I think the anti gunners think the same way about the pro gun folks.

I don't give two shits what the antis think.  In any case it only proves they fail at math as well as logic and constitutional law.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2015, 10:23:10 PM »
I don't give two shits what the antis think.  In any case it only proves they fail at math as well as logic and constitutional law.

Where in the Constitution is unlawful to be homosexual or where does it allow an elected official to refuse to their job for religious reasons?

I brought up the antigun/progun because we do live in a country where people can still be allowed to voice their opinion (even if you don't agree with it) and not supposed to be stifled for expressing their opinion. Would you rather live in a place where homosexuals can be openly homosexual or live in a place where they are put to death or imprisoned for being openly gay?
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2015, 10:56:03 PM »
Where in the Constitution is unlawful to be homosexual or where does it allow an elected official to refuse to their job for religious reasons?

I brought up the antigun/progun because we do live in a country where people can still be allowed to voice their opinion (even if you don't agree with it) and not supposed to be stifled for expressing their opinion. Would you rather live in a place where homosexuals can be openly homosexual or live in a place where they are put to death or imprisoned for being openly gay?

What thread are you even reading?

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2015, 11:28:39 PM »
I was going to say 'who cares?' as well, but I noticed an interesting quote in the paper today....
"Francis DeBernardo, executive director of New Ways Ministry, a gay Catholic organization agreed, saying in a statement that the meeting "throws a wet blanket on the good will that the pontiff had garnered during his U.S. visit last week."

But the meeting is "puzzling" for several reasons, DeBernardo continued. The pontiff steered clear of political debates during his trip to the U.S. and has in the past promoted a welcoming attitude toward gays DeBernardo noted. But the Vatican denied an invitation for a meeting between the pope and gay families during his U.S. visit, which makes the meeting with Davis all the more painful.

“Though LGBT and ally Catholics have welcomed Pope Francis’ affirming remarks,  many, including myself, have also remarked that he sometimes talks out of both sides of his mouth,” DeBernardo wrote. “Moreover, while he is LGBT-positive in general ways, his remarks on specific moral and political issues are often at odds with his welcoming stance.”"

If he weren't the head of a "gay Catholic organization," I'd say he's ill-informed. Being in a position where he certainly knows better, I'd have to say he's lying right through his teeth. He knows good and well (I'm not Catholic, and I even know) that Pope Francis is not "LGBT-positive." That's a huge distortion of what the guy has actually said about his church being more kind to "LGBTs," and ignores his record of activism against same-sex "marriage." His meeting with Kim Davis is consistent with his record on the marriage issue, and doesn't detract from his desire to be more welcoming to those who struggle with the sin of same-sex or transgender issues.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2015, 12:38:27 AM »

I think a lot of people are done being intimidated and bullied by a very small minority of people. If a guy wants to stick his tongue in another guys ass, that's his business,  but he has no business forcing others to accept it as normal, let alone ruin someone's career or threaten a person's family for daring to disagree with his lifestyle choices.The whole free speech thing is supposed to work both ways.

Barack Obama

brimic

• friends
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2015, 12:45:38 AM »

If he weren't the head of a "gay Catholic organization," I'd say he's ill-informed. Being in a position where he certainly knows better, I'd have to say he's lying right through his teeth. He knows good and well (I'm not Catholic, and I even know) that Pope Francis is not "LGBT-positive." That's a huge distortion of what the guy has actually said about his church being more kind to "LGBTs," and ignores his record of activism against same-sex "marriage." His meeting with Kim Davis is consistent with his record on the marriage issue, and doesn't detract from his desire to be more welcoming to those who struggle with the sin of same-sex or transgender issues.
Yep, yes, and yep.
The RCC takes cohabitation very seriously. They don't, won't, and never will recignize a state sanctioned gay marriage as a remedy for 'living in sin.'

Barack Obama

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2015, 01:38:25 AM »
If a guy wants to stick his tongue in another guys ass, that's his business,

One thing that continually fascinates me is how detailed the descriptions of LGBT sex acts used by the opponents of LGBT are.
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

brimic

• friends
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2015, 02:08:45 AM »
One thing that continually fascinates me is how detailed the descriptions of LGBT sex acts used by the opponents of LGBT are.
So you are verifying that its true?

Barack Obama

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2015, 07:32:25 AM »

So that means they're secretly gay, right?

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Re: Delusions of the Pope
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2015, 07:41:15 AM »

She is following both Kentucky law and the state  constituton

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re:
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2015, 07:48:02 AM »
Yea in order for priest to agree to marry wife 2.1 in the rcc I had to do confession and become a born again virgin till ceremony

It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2015, 08:00:44 AM »
where does it allow an elected official to refuse to their job for religious reasons?

Article VI of the Constitution. Amendment I of the Constitution.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

De Selby

• friend
Re: Re: Delusions of the Pope
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2015, 08:22:39 AM »
She is following both Kentucky law and the state  constituton

Presumably Kentucky law recognises that Kentucky is part of the United States?

Refusing a benefit, privilege or right by government action should only happen according to law.  Personal religious beliefs are great, but they can't grant powers to a government office that it doesn't otherwise have. 
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2015, 08:26:02 AM »
Article VI of the Constitution. Amendment I of the Constitution.

??????  Where does Amendment I say state governments can refuse to exercise legislated functions on religious grounds???  It seems to say the opposite if anything.

I'm curious as to what argument you think applies about article VI.  There doesn't appear to be any religious requirement to hold the job of issuing marriage licenses.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2015, 08:29:12 AM »

Wow.  I suppose that's why constitutional rights are important - so we can't treat people like that.