Author Topic: Episcopal Church Throws Race Card and Plays the Martyr After Suspension  (Read 11764 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Episcopal Church Throws Race Card and Plays the Martyr After Suspension
« Reply #100 on: January 18, 2016, 04:31:39 PM »
Oh, heck. Christians can't even agree on what "the Bible" is:

Source: http://www.christianbiblereference.org/faq_bibles.htm

As even your source indicates, there is really very little disagreement. After all, even the Catholics recognize that the deuterocanonical books are not on as firm a footing as the Old Testament books regarded as canon by Jews and Protestants. 

http://newadvent.org/cathen/03267a.htm

Then there's the entire question of which translation of the Bible is most correct. When I first started Sunday School as a kid, my church used the King James Version. Somewhere in there we switched to the Revised Standard Version. Some time later, along came the NEW Revised Standard Version. And there are numerous other Bibles out there, based on different translations.

The argument for the newer translations rather than the King James Version is two-fold. First, the KJV was translated in 1611. The English language has changed since then, so most modern readers of English may not read the words with the meanings they had in 1611. Second, the KJV was translated from manuscripts that were themselves translations of translations. More recent translations are more accurate because they are based on older manuscripts that are closer to the original texts, and because modern scholarship allows better translations of the ancient languages.

An example is the commandment, "Thou shalt not kill." That's what I learned in Sunday school, and it presented a real paradox when considering the concept of self-defense. More modern translations now say "Do not commit murder," which allows for the taking of a human life in self-defense.

Even so, I know Evangelicals who insist that the only true Bible is the King James Version.

Small wonder we're not supposed to discuss religion in polite society, eh?

Other than a few, fringe KJV absolutists, I don't think anyone is anathematizing people who use a different translation. The various translations don't change fundamental are-you-or-are-you-not-a-Christian doctrines, anyhow. They're translations, not director's cuts.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #101 on: January 18, 2016, 08:25:55 PM »
If there was that much disagreement on the Bible, you would see many denominations with their own Bible translations. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #102 on: January 18, 2016, 08:27:10 PM »
I assumed a confessional denomination meant one where people confess to a priest/pastor.  Learn something new every day.   =)
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge