Poll

Was the DPD legally justified in using deadly force, via the explosive, on the shooter?

Yes
25 (55.6%)
No
17 (37.8%)
What?
3 (6.7%)

Total Members Voted: 45

Author Topic: Bots, bombs, and use of force.  (Read 9434 times)

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Re: Bots, bombs, and use of force.
« Reply #100 on: July 12, 2016, 07:36:32 AM »
http://antiwar.com/blog/2016/07/10/why-it-matters-the-dallas-police-used-a-drone-to-kill-someone-in-america/

From the comments

There was no reason to kill the suspect by robot, by drone or by sniper. The suspect was contained. There were no hostages. The suspect was alone, barricaded in the building surrounded by cops. The robot could have delivered tear gas, knock out gas or the cops could have simply waited him out behind a safe perimeter. He would eventually have to come out. If he came out armed, lethal force would have been justified.
We need to remind ourselves that the job of a solider is to kill the enemy. The job of a cop is to arrest a suspect and deliver the arrestee to the judicial system. A cop may only use lethal force to prevent imminent harm, not to punish a criminal.

IMHO police were eager to exact revenge and end the standoff. 

The precedent this sets is unsettling.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #101 on: July 12, 2016, 08:21:40 AM »
What he said ^

Sent from my iPhone. Freaking autocorrect.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #102 on: July 12, 2016, 04:59:47 PM »
IMO, the police wanted to stop the guy without exposing themselves the fire.  They used what was there.  I really doubt they were thinking of precedents.  Maybe they should have.  If they had brought in a 50 cal rifle and shot through the barrier, I am not sure if the precedent wouldn't be the same. 

I just don't think this event is quite as significant as you think.  The general use of explosives would require someone to decide that collateral damage is okay as long as the target is stopped which sometimes happens already.  I just don't see it carrying over to explosives and armed drones just because of this event.  If we are heading down that slippery slope, that ride already started and this didn't add anything significant.  The criminal courts punishing police officers and civil suits punishing the administration are the two things that might hold law enforcement in check.  I think the first has been eroded already.  I don't know about the second. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.