Author Topic: So, why did Trump win the election?  (Read 22732 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Re: So, why did Trump win the election?
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2016, 05:36:49 PM »
Because of America's racist underbelly.

Oh, wait . . .

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/11/09/sorry-uncovering-americas-racist-underbelly-wasnt-why-trump-won-commentary.html

IMO, Hourly workers have been forgotten by the unions also except as political tools.  Our entire corporate tax and regulatory structure increases the cost of labor and employees to the point that businesses minimize staffing for costs and liability well beyond their actual pay. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re:
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2016, 06:46:35 PM »
Here's an opinion
http://reason.com/blog/2016/11/09/gary-johnson-jill-stein-voters-clinton

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

De Selby

• friend
Re:
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2016, 07:15:09 PM »
Here's an opinion
http://reason.com/blog/2016/11/09/gary-johnson-jill-stein-voters-clinton

Hahahahahaha ha

Anything to explain your bet
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2016, 07:32:05 PM »
IMO, Hourly workers have been forgotten by the unions also except as political tools.  Our entire corporate tax and regulatory structure increases the cost of labor and employees to the point that businesses minimize staffing for costs and liability well beyond their actual pay. 

I only realized today that the "uneducated whites" they've been so derisive of are usually referred to as blue-collar workers, or the working class. Funny, that.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2016, 08:13:37 PM »
Oddly enough, I think Michael moore had the most accurate thoughts on the subject
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

agricola

• friend
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2016, 08:20:22 PM »
Some views from this side of the pond:

i) he won because HRC fought him in almost exactly the same way (albeit with more and better mud thrown) as the Republican establishment did;
ii) because the political class that she (and her ilk like Blair and the elder Miliband, and Cameron over here) represents are just not electable now (and won't be for at least a generation);
iii) following on from i and ii - because the political class aren't actually any good at politics, or anything else for that matter;
iv) because his position (that the country was broken) was more believable than hers was - just the fact that he was a candidate proved that.

Also I think the overwhelming media support she had, and all the celebrity endorsements, actually covered up what would have been a far bigger defeat for her.  
"Idiot!  A long life eating mush is best."
"Make peace, you fools"

zahc

• friend
« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2016, 08:52:44 PM »
I will leave this here (nsfw language)

How Half Of America Lost Its F**king Mind | Cracked.com
http://www.cracked.com/blog/6-reasons-trumps-rise-that-no-one-talks-about/
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: Re: So, why did Trump win the election?
« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2016, 08:53:37 PM »
To analyse this in terms of Republican and democrat is a mistake.

Trump won because he spoke plain, common sense policies straight to voters.  By doing so he united a base that crossed party and other social lines.

It is a triumph of common sense over the tortured rhetoric of billionaires trying to preserve the system that enriches them.  No other candidate in my lifetime has been so frank about what the problems with government are, and what basic solutions he might offer. 

The press and the "experts" did their best at telling America who to vote for, but failed.  They were up against someone with more media savvy than them.
Deselby hit the nail on the head.  Toss in resentment at a ruling class that is trying to replace the population and made their hatred of regular folk plain.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2016, 09:42:39 PM »
A liberal perspective from a liberal with more than half a brain.

https://medium.com/@trentlapinski/dear-democrats-read-this-if-you-do-not-understand-why-trump-won-5a0cdb13c597#.tbl24miv9

I don't agree that Bernie would have won, but he's spot on about how Hilary lost to Trump.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2016, 10:00:06 PM »
A liberal perspective from a liberal with more than half a brain.

https://medium.com/@trentlapinski/dear-democrats-read-this-if-you-do-not-understand-why-trump-won-5a0cdb13c597#.tbl24miv9

I don't agree that Bernie would have won, but he's spot on about how Hilary lost to Trump.

I've been monitoring but seldom posting to the 2016 election thread on another forum; it's pretty much just a liberal echo chamber, with the members congratulating themselves for being so progressive and smart about politics, gender politics whatever that is, etc.  Talking about how stupid and racist Trump is.  And how white people suck (I assume most of them are white.)  All that stuff.   [barf]  It's kind of funny (but sad) seeing them realize how he outsmarted them all.  So now they want to do away with the electoral college, because it's racist. They still don't get it that they were living in an echo chamber and not reality, and the mass media duped them.
"It's good, though..."

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2016, 10:03:42 PM »
I've been monitoring but seldom posting to the 2016 election thread on another forum; it's pretty much just a liberal echo chamber, with the members congratulating themselves for being so progressive and smart about politics, gender politics whatever that is, etc.  Talking about how stupid and racist Trump is.  And how white people suck (I assume most of them are white.)  All that stuff.   [barf]  It's kind of funny (but sad) seeing them realize how he outsmarted them all.  So now they want to do away with the electoral college, because it's racist. They still don't get it that they were living in an echo chamber and not reality, and the mass media duped them.

Well, if they did that, they'd have to admit they are not nearly as worldly and educated as they think they are.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2016, 10:12:58 PM »
You guys do understand that Trump is basically a moderate democrat.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2016, 10:15:25 PM »

I know that and you know that. The democrats? Apparently not. Go figure.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #38 on: November 09, 2016, 10:19:37 PM »

He's an old-school 1950's or 1960's Democrat; there's not many of those left.  (I think Biden might be also, but Trump is smarter than Biden)  And I think he loves America, and realizes America has been good to him.  I'm okay with that.
"It's good, though..."

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #39 on: November 09, 2016, 10:24:59 PM »
He's an old-school 1950's or 1960's Democrat; there's not many of those left.  (I think Biden might be also, but Trump is smarter than Biden)  And I think he loves America, and realizes America has been good to him.  I'm okay with that.

The elder of my two bosses, who is the widow of a Maryland Democrat congressman, is of the opinion that the democrats who voted for Trump were Carter and Clinton era types. But overall, her opinion runs in line with what you are saying. The Democratic party is not what it once was and the old school wouldn't vote for Hilary. I think they see that Trump is really one of their Democrats.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: Re: So, why did Trump win the election?
« Reply #40 on: November 09, 2016, 10:31:32 PM »
Pretty much.  But he doesnt hate americans.  That was the best on offer this go around.

I will be sure to vote for my favorite republican next time he runs--calvin coolidge.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #41 on: November 09, 2016, 10:44:40 PM »

I'd rather have Trump than some of the "conservative" republicans.

Maybe a businessman will be able to get this country out of the financial mess it's in - or at least get it started on the way up.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #42 on: November 09, 2016, 11:14:56 PM »
I think you could insert the name of a number of establishment Republicans and that statement might still be pretty much true.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

HankB

• friend
« Reply #43 on: November 09, 2016, 11:30:41 PM »
Trump won because there were finally enough voters willing to bite the hands that slapped them - first in the GOP primary, later in the general election against the Democrat* and her media allies.

That puts him to the right of many GOP "conservatives."

* - it helped that the Democrat was a career politician who was incredibly corrupt, utterly amoral and pathologically dishonest.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #44 on: November 09, 2016, 11:32:16 PM »
I like how Mitch McConnell is posturing that he's going to run the show and trump will have to take him seriously.

Someone's about to find out who really runs the party and represents its voters, me thinks
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #45 on: November 10, 2016, 12:02:28 AM »
White, female voters favored the Donald by 53%. 'Course, that could just be exit poll subjects identifying as female, just for kicks.  =)

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #46 on: November 10, 2016, 12:08:45 AM »
White, female voters favored the Donald by 53%. 'Course, that could just be exit poll subjects identifying as female, just for kicks.  =)

That's because they are racist aholes, just like the rest of us.  God bless America!   :rofl:
"It's good, though..."

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #47 on: November 10, 2016, 12:19:00 AM »
From 2015:
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2015/7/13/1401843/-Why-Hillary-Clinton-Will-Never-Be-President

CwV
Jul 13 · 01:24:44 PM
Srsly?

Democrats turn out in Presidential elections and this time, no matter who the Dem nominee is, Hillary or Bernie, we WILL turn out.
Bernie is motivating a bunch of young voters, a la Obama 2008 and 12, Hillary will energize women all across the spectrum, picking up independent and even some Republican women.
If I had to speculate, I'd say that Hillary will pull more voters than Bernie in a General.
But what will really make the difference in this cycle will be over on the other side.
I believe tRump is going to eviscerate the GOP.
He is in the process of derailing the Koch Brothers' best laid plans. He's got the central Party tied in knots.
And he will bail before the trail ends.
Leaving the GOP in disarray.

Either Hillary or Bernie can take advantage of it, the more chaos reigns over there, the better it is for Bernie's chances.

Recommended 11 times

From January.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uNeaJgulDA

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #48 on: November 10, 2016, 12:59:16 AM »
The press and the "experts" did their best at telling America who to vote for, but failed.  They were up against someone with more media savvy than them.

"Than they," you uneducated Trump supporter.  ;)

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re:
« Reply #49 on: November 10, 2016, 04:22:56 AM »
I woukd not have guessed he woukd pull as much of the black vote as he did. And I have never understood Asians voting democrat

It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I