Author Topic: Breaking news  (Read 21278 times)

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
Re: Breaking news
« Reply #50 on: March 30, 2010, 02:05:32 PM »
WMD has a legal definition that is broader than the conventional idea. 

We would have been better served if instead of looking for a cool new acronym for the Gulf the .gov and media had just stick with NBC to describe mass killing weapons since that's what springs immediately to mind in the general public.

They apparently had done some scouting for an attack which (yes, yes, if true) would provide enough concrete action to support a conspiracy charge versus harrassing a few guys for sitting around running their mouths. 
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #51 on: March 30, 2010, 02:10:24 PM »
This interests me greatly.  Are you implying that, contrary to public opinion and media assumption, that your group would openly and willingly work with traditional law enforcement?

Yes.  We already do.

We are a citizens' militia. We are not anti-government.  We are pro-limited government.  We care about our neighbors, communities and nation.  

We do not condone any plot or action to kill or harm American citizens.  While we didn't know about the plot at hand or the impending takedown, it was our tip-off that led the FBI to scrutinize the Hutaree more than a year ago.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I have not heard any LEO or government official blame us for what the Hutaree were planning.  Only certain media outlets have done that, and we're working feverishly to correct the error (lie?).
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 02:15:00 PM by Declaration Day »

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #52 on: March 30, 2010, 02:34:15 PM »
I'm about as un-tinfoil hat as it gets, and i've even sometimes reluctantly admitted, somewhat liberal.

But now i'm actually concerned.  The bit I hear all over the news today is "Hutaree square in the middle of the right wing militia movement"
so I'm thinking something's up, and I don't like the smell of it at all.
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #53 on: March 30, 2010, 02:44:52 PM »
"Hutaree square in the middle of the right wing militia movement"

Not only are they not "square in the middle of the militia movement", they are not even part of it.  They are a religious cult.

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #54 on: March 30, 2010, 02:50:27 PM »
Not only are they not "square in the middle of the militia movement", they are not even part of it.  They are a religious cult.

Yea, I don't get it.  I'd almost think this is part of someone's plan to paint militias as anti-cop and terrorists.
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #55 on: March 30, 2010, 03:01:15 PM »
Yea, I don't get it.  I'd almost think this is part of someone's plan to paint militias as anti-cop and terrorists.

:facepalm:I can't believe something like that would even be considered by our governemtn or the media... [barf]
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #56 on: March 30, 2010, 03:08:33 PM »
Yea, I don't get it.  I'd almost think this is part of someone's plan to paint militias, Tea Party protesters, Libertarians and Republicans as anti-cop and terrorists.

There, fixed it for you.

The left-of-center mainstream American media is looking for ways to do this every day. One half of it is that their world view is so skewed they don't even know they're doing it. The other half of it is intentional and malicious. The news at hand just does not give them as much opportunity as they like. The vast majority of the American Right is too busy working at their jobs and taking care of their families to "do anything" newsworthy.

So they have to take fringe nutters like the Hutaree, or Tim McVeigh back in the 90's and use them to try and paint all of us with the brush.

I promise not to duck.

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #57 on: March 30, 2010, 04:26:31 PM »
 [popcorn]
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #58 on: March 30, 2010, 04:55:27 PM »
Yep, that's Mike, a good friend and fellow SMVM Team Leader.  Our inboxes are being flooded with media requests today. 

Our Unit Coordinator has been invited to appear on Larry King Live.

If I can make a suggestion.  Prep your media guys on the actual background of these loons.  All of the info you can get.  I'm seeing very very little real info on them.  THAT would get attention in a hurry.   "They were founded in year X, by So and So.  This is their beliefs.  This is what they've been doing.  This is their stated intentions.  This is what they've actually been doing.  This is why we avoided them."   etc.

All I see in the media from your guys is "They're not us and they're very bad people".  That's nice.  Try to flesh it out with details and a lot more folks will pay attention.

And most importantly, send a cease and desist letter from your group's attorney to the outlets that are claiming these loons are members of your organization.   Do it immediately, or it will stick.  Heck, ask them to publish a public apology and correction. 
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #59 on: March 30, 2010, 05:09:14 PM »
All I see in the media from your guys is "They're not us and they're very bad people".  That's nice.  Try to flesh it out with details and a lot more folks will pay attention.

Yes, if you're giving them actual facts, background, and "meat" that's different than the same stuff repeated endlessly, the news directors will be kissing your kiester for more and may just be in a frame of mind to give you some more impartial, maybe dare I say, friendly, editing.
I promise not to duck.

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #60 on: March 30, 2010, 05:39:27 PM »
If I can make a suggestion.  Prep your media guys on the actual background of these loons.  All of the info you can get.  I'm seeing very very little real info on them.  THAT would get attention in a hurry.   "They were founded in year X, by So and So.  This is their beliefs.  This is what they've been doing.  This is their stated intentions.  This is what they've actually been doing.  This is why we avoided them."   etc.

I agree with this.  Right now we are so swamped with interviews that I have trouble even getting in touch with other leaders.

On the positive side, the MSNBC article has been updated and no longer states "Michigan Militia" anywhere in the article.  We have no legal leg to stand on if they want to call the Hutaree a militia, however.  Good enough for me.  I'll be checking the other major media outlets in a minute.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36095306/ns/us_news-security/

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #61 on: March 30, 2010, 05:47:30 PM »
FOX News article is updated also.  "Michigan Militia" has been removed from the headline.

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #62 on: March 30, 2010, 05:53:07 PM »
I wonder, though, how many times an article is read after publishing on the internet within the time it's posted until the time they change it.  Percentage as, say, compared to its lifetime.

If it's close to a decreasing logarithm in shape, and a copy of the original article still exists, it might still be a valid charge.
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #63 on: March 30, 2010, 05:54:06 PM »

That was already done, and very successfully, back during the Clinton Administration, if not earlier. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #64 on: March 30, 2010, 06:00:04 PM »
I wonder, though, how many times an article is read after publishing on the internet within the time it's posted until the time they change it.  Percentage as, say, compared to its lifetime.

If it's close to a decreasing logarithm in shape, and a copy of the original article still exists, it might still be a valid charge.

Perhaps.  I think the fact that we got them to change it at all is a step in the right direction. 

ABC News no longer states "Michigan Militia" either.

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #65 on: March 30, 2010, 06:31:31 PM »

mellestad

• friend
« Reply #66 on: March 30, 2010, 06:40:50 PM »
Well, I am glad cooler heads are popping up, even if there are not many so far.

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #67 on: March 30, 2010, 07:05:16 PM »
Vindication:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNfxx-RPfQo

Glad to see some folks are getting it right; and I really hope I'm wrong about the paranoia I started above.
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #68 on: March 30, 2010, 07:20:17 PM »
Barbara McQuade hasn't been watching enough MSNBC.

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
« Reply #69 on: March 30, 2010, 08:03:02 PM »
Vindication:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNfxx-RPfQo

Hopefully further (unbiased) clarification will follow, but even if it doesn't--that's still pretty good.  =)
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #70 on: March 30, 2010, 08:06:50 PM »
I have just uncovered actual video of the Hutaree testing their IEDs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOrgLj9lOwk

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
« Reply #71 on: March 30, 2010, 08:19:18 PM »
 :facepalm: ;/
"And are you?"
-Douglas Adams

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #72 on: March 30, 2010, 08:59:41 PM »
I have just uncovered actual video of the Hutaree testing their IEDs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOrgLj9lOwk

:laugh:

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #73 on: March 30, 2010, 10:09:22 PM »
CNN Video With a University of Michigan sociology student who has spent two years with us.  She has been to nearly every meeting and training in that time period:

http://www.cnn.com/video/?/video/us/2010/03/30/nr.michigan.militia.cooter.cnn

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
« Reply #74 on: March 30, 2010, 10:29:05 PM »
CNN Video With a University of Michigan sociology student who has spent two years with us.  She has been to nearly every meeting and training in that time period:

http://www.cnn.com/video/?/video/us/2010/03/30/nr.michigan.militia.cooter.cnn

One could almost smell the baiting of his questions, and she was noticeably (and understandably) very nervous, but came across very well.  =)
"And are you?"
-Douglas Adams