Author Topic: Well-stocked small toolbox (for a girl)  (Read 22494 times)

zxcvbob

• friend
Well-stocked small toolbox (for a girl)
« on: May 17, 2010, 12:27:31 PM »
DD called me twice last week as she is moving out of her apartment (across the country, or I'd be there helping -- even though she doesn't want help.)  "How do I get the legs off the couch? OK, what kind of screwdriver?" and "What tool do I need to buy to take the bed apart?"

(#2 phillips and 1/2" wrench, respectively, but I told her to get an adjustable wrench in case my memory was off and it was really 7/16 or 9/16)

Her 20th birthday is coming up pretty quick, and I tho't I could get her a small tool box with some basic good-quality tools.  Sears used to sell a long shallow toolbox made of tough plastic and designed to fit under the seat of your truck.  What to stock it with?

A few of essentials: ChannelLock pliers, maybe even 2 pairs (must be CL brand with the blue handles, no substitutes); a long 1/2x9/16 offset box-end wrench; 12 oz. claw hammer; a few assorted screwdrivers; cheap torpedo level; tape measure; wire strippers, and maybe a pair of water pump pliers.

But what about combination wrenches?  Should I get a set of metrics or SAE?  Same question with allen wrenches.  Her car has all metric fasteners, but I really don't see her doing any car repairs herself. Everything else still has English fasteners, right?

Maybe a 1/4" socket set and ratchet?

A 10" or 12" pipe wrench, or would that be just inviting trouble? :)

What else? (less that $200 total, but maybe not much less)
"It's good, though..."

Nick1911

• Administrator
Re: Well-stocked small toolbox (for a girl)
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 12:32:12 PM »
I've found I use the CRAP out of a craftsman mechanics tool set.

Has SAE and Metric shallow well sockets, 3/8 and 1/4.  Several combo wrenches, and a set of allen wrenches.  Screwdriver with assorted bits.

I can do many auto repairs with this set plus a 10" 3/8 drive extension.

Vice grips are a good addition.  As is an adjustable wrench and channel locks.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 12:42:54 PM »
Second on the vise grips.

And a low-end floor jack and two-handed lugnut wrench. 15 minutes ago, a lady hit a curb near the apartment. Instant flat.

I had the thing changed in about five minutes.

Blog under construction

sanman

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 12:46:02 PM »
Channel locks are a must. I'd add a couple of needle nose of different sizes and a pair of cross cut plyers. A really nice handle with interchangable bits would save space. You could have an assortment of phillips, slotted, torx, square drive, etc. Flashlight is always nice.

Better stop now or the toolbox will get too big. A couple of wood chisels, punches, utility knife and putty knife are always good. If you're really in the mood, you can get her a 9v screw gun/drill and some bits pretty cheaply.

I'm done. Promise.

go_bang

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 12:56:16 PM »
Going by her questions, I'd stock the toolbox with the following:

Phillips screwdrivers, #1 and #2
Flat-bladed screwdrivers, 1/4" and 3/8"
Two or three adjustible wrenches, with the largest opening up to no more than 1 1/2"
Two sets of hex or allen wrenches, English and metric
Pliers, one pair regular and one needle-nosed
Electrical outlet tester (the kind that plugs into the wall outlet with the three lights on the other end)
A small level, no more than 8" long
12 oz claw hammer

I think that would be enough to do basic stuff like work on assemble-it-yourself furniture, change wall outlet and switch covers, hang pictures and drapes, and the like.  As long as she's renting, leave the plumbing and other serious work to the building management.  It probably wouldn't hurt to add a screwdriver that takes hex bits and a bit set, but I would not look to that as a replacement for the dedicated screwdrivers.  Sometimes you can't get to recessed screws with the hex bit drivers.  Off the top of my head I can't think of what she might need vice grips or channel locks for.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2010, 01:06:16 PM »
You might also include a small cordless drill and a small bit set of your choice that has the basic drill bits and an assortment of screw bits.

A corded drill might be better as I think about it..  if it is infrequent use the batteries will probably be flat when she tries to use it.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 01:14:08 PM by 41magsnub »

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2010, 01:10:21 PM »
An interchangeable bit screwdriver set will save on some space in the toolbox. 1 handle and many bits. And since most are standard 1/4" bits, she can cheaply/easily buy just any bit for an oddball fastener she comes across for a buck, instead of a whole driver.

The bits would also have utility in a drill.

Hex keys, the kind that are all stuck together like a jacknife are good. Can't lose them that way, and lots of "young people" furniture, Ikea stuff etc. needs a hex key/allen wrench to assemble it, and the one they give you is usually cheap Chinese mild steel that strips, rounds it's corners off etc.
I promise not to duck.

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2010, 01:13:19 PM »
I seem to recall a three-pack of adjustable wrenches from Lowes on sale for $15 at one time.  I bought them in a pinch once, and I still use them regularly.  I also have an 8-piece box/open wrench set, Stanley, I think that see regular use.  I want to say $10 from walmart.  There's probably a three or four piece plier set for under $20 at a hardware store.

Craftsman sells some 10-ish piece 1/4" ratchet sets real cheap.  She won't start an auto shop with it, but it helps assembling furniture.  Take the pieces out of the plastic boxes to save space.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2010, 01:15:04 PM »
Channel-locks make a really good hammer if you use the back of 'em.  ;/  

I changed the rear brakes on my truck this weekend and one of the pads was frozen.  I thought I was gonna have to use a cutting torch to get it off.  But I was *just* able to get a good grip on the backing plate in one little spot with the big Channel-locks.  Then beat the hell out of them with a 3# hammer until it broke loose.  (hammer and cold chisel didn't work, hammer and Channel-locks did.)  The CL's look no worse for the wear.  Any other brand wouldn't have gripped tight enough, and if they had the hammering would have destroyed 'em.  I've ruined a big pair of Harbor Freight pliers just by cracking a few Atomic Fireball candies -- no hammer involved.

The Craftsman 154 piece mechanics set for $100 looks like a good start and it has an organizer case.  Then their 17" plastic "Compact Truck Box" for $8, throw in Channel-locks, screw drivers, level, outlet tester, etc. ought to be a good combination.  I can add a few spares from my tools, like some long socket extensions and some needle-nose pliers.
"It's good, though..."

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2010, 02:10:15 PM »
Oh yeah... a piece of pipe the length of the toolbox that'll fit over the breaker bar or lug wrench that she can use for a cheater bar.

Blog under construction

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2010, 02:13:55 PM »
Oh yeah... a piece of pipe the length of the toolbox that'll fit over the breaker bar or lug wrench that she can use for a cheater bar.

Yea, good idea.  An inch and a half, 18 inch long chunk of black iron pipe can do wonders for leverage.  I've also broken a ratchet this way, before I knew any better.  :facepalm:

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2010, 02:41:35 PM »
ChannelLock pliers, maybe even 2 pairs (must be CL brand with the blue handles, no substitutes); a long 1/2x9/16 offset box-end wrench; 12 oz. claw hammer; a few assorted screwdrivers; cheap torpedo level; tape measure; wire strippers, and maybe a pair of water pump pliers.

Needle nose pliers.  Side-cutter.

Duct tape and electricians tape, 1 roll each.

Pocket knife, lock blade if possible.  How anyone can exist without one, I cannot fathom.

I'm tempted to poke around the Jensen tool website, and see if they have anything approximating what you want.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2010, 03:10:16 PM »
She's got a good pocketknife already -- Opinel #8. (not sure if I spelled that right.)
"It's good, though..."

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2010, 03:11:55 PM »
a tape measure.

trust me on this.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2010, 03:43:18 PM »
I had forgotten about a tape measure.  Get one that's at least 10'.  Wait for a sale, and you can get a 30' Stanley for $4.

I would dump all kinds of other tools for a tape measure if I had to.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2010, 03:55:45 PM »
There's more for your life at Sears.

$119.95

It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2010, 05:09:57 PM »
Curlers.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2010, 05:12:11 PM »

$119.95

If that's all Craftsman, I'd say add a few things from others' suggestions and call it good.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2010, 05:14:46 PM »
There is no tool kit without channel locks. And maybe a pipe wrench. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2010, 05:55:45 PM »

$119.95

I would add some channel locks, needle nose, and a variety of common sized box-ends and call it a winner.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2010, 06:31:36 PM »
Flashlight

Hammer

Duct tape

Detcord

Done.

=D
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2010, 06:45:47 PM »
I would add some channel locks, needle nose, and a variety of common sized box-ends and call it a winner.

Hacksaw or some kind of multipurpose saw might not be a bad addition either.  Drywall saws work for lots more than just drywall.

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2010, 06:58:44 PM »
Hacksaw Detcord or some kind of multipurpose saw high explosive might not be a bad addition either.  Drywall saws Semtex works for lots more than just drywall.

Brad
FTFY.  :laugh:
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2010, 07:03:42 PM »
i'm a girl in need of a toolbox.

please?

:angel:

=D
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2010, 07:37:35 PM »
i'm a girl in need of a toolbox.

please?

:angel:

=D

The temptation to say something unapproriate is very, very high right now...  :laugh:

Brad
-HankB