Author Topic: Well-stocked small toolbox (for a girl)  (Read 22493 times)

sanglant

• friend
Re: Well-stocked small toolbox (for a girl)
« Reply #50 on: May 18, 2010, 12:29:04 PM »
and after they break a few times the truck stops coming by. :facepalm:

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #51 on: May 18, 2010, 02:20:17 PM »
and after they break a few times the truck stops coming by. :facepalm:

I have a few Snap-On tools from back in my hot-rodding days.  Abused the heck out of them (like cheater-bar-and-hammer abused).  Not a single one broken.  Ever.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #52 on: May 18, 2010, 03:23:52 PM »
ever use them in a knitting mill? :angel:

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #53 on: May 18, 2010, 03:41:15 PM »
Well there's you're problem!  I've never knitted anything, but I'm pretty sure trying to do it with a Snap-On 5/8" box end isn't the best way. :laugh:

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #54 on: May 18, 2010, 03:41:25 PM »
I went to Sear's and to Home Depot over lunch and got a good start.  Just need to place an order with Harbor Freight for some filler items, and it's OK if they don't get here in time.  So far:
  • 22" black plastic tool box
  • 12 oz Estwing claw hammer
  • 10" ChannelLocks
  • Stanley 16' tape measure
  • 10" Craftsman hacksaw
  • long handled 1/2×9/16" box-end wrench
  • set of cheap tiny screwdrivers
  • Greenlee wire-strippers/screw-cutters
  • 43-piece racheting T-handle set with lots of screwdriver bits and 1/4" sockets that was on sale at HD. (this came in its own nice little case that won't fit in the toolbox.  Would easily fit in the toolbox if she dumps it into a quart Ziplock freezer bag)

Things still to add: electrical outlet tester, a few real screwdrivers, SAE and metric allen wrench sets, cheap pick and hook set, Harbor Freight combination wrench set, 12" level, small or medium Crescent wrench, some tie-wraps, small pry bar.

The hammer was the most expensive item ($20.)  A $5 hammer would have been just fine but I got carried away.

I'm not sure about 3/8" drive sockets and rachet. Will probably pass on those for now; I don't want her taking her car apart.  ;/
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 03:52:21 PM by zxcvbob »
"It's good, though..."

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #55 on: May 18, 2010, 03:48:17 PM »
Well there's you're problem!  I've never knitted anything, but I'm pretty sure trying to do it with a Snap-On 5/8" box end isn't the best way. :laugh:

Brad
lol, this kind of knitting.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #56 on: May 18, 2010, 07:12:55 PM »
I'm not sure about 3/8" drive sockets and rachet. Will probably pass on those for now; I don't want her taking her car apart.

Get her a 1/4" drive set. Less likely to instill delusions of granduer. And, do you really want her testing electrical systems? For my wife if it doesn't work when she plugs it in she is allowed to check the breaker box and if tripped reset a breaker ONCE, otherwise it is to be left to me.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #57 on: May 19, 2010, 12:58:52 AM »
And, do you really want her testing electrical systems? For my wife if it doesn't work when she plugs it in she is allowed to check the breaker box and if tripped reset a breaker ONCE, otherwise it is to be left to me.

For a person of that skill level, a voltage detector may not be a bad idea.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #58 on: May 19, 2010, 01:01:03 AM »
or a multimeter to diagnose the stand mixer. [tinfoil]

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #59 on: May 19, 2010, 10:22:59 AM »
or a multimeter to diagnose the stand mixer. [tinfoil]

Well heck, if you'er gonna go that far jut a well set her up with a good quad trace 'scope... =D
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #60 on: May 19, 2010, 10:30:33 AM »
Lots of good suggestions.  Consider mine supplementary.

1. Several nitrile gloves
2. Decent leather work gloves.

Keep her from getting greasy hands, blisters, or bunged up knuckles.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #61 on: May 19, 2010, 01:39:33 PM »
I remember years ago, not long after we got married, I started putting together a tool kit for my wife.  I came home from work and she had completely dissassembled the stand mixer (a pretty nice, pricey one) to clean it.  I mean competely.  She had opened it up and removed every screw, gear, pin, or belt.  She had no idea how to put it back together, so she just waited for me to get home.  I looked at the puzzle for about 30 seconds, and threw it away.

...and...

....damn, I had hoped that was a unique experience. My ex-wife did similar shortly after I had bought her a toolbox

Gentlemen, gentlemen.  Allow me to point out the blunt and unvarnished reality to you youngsters:  They wanted new stuff.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 01:43:44 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #62 on: May 19, 2010, 01:47:12 PM »
I'm with RoadKingLarry.  Every basic tool kit requires an oscilloscope.  You wouldn't believe how many things I've wired up to the scope, automotive and otherwise.  ;)

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #63 on: May 19, 2010, 06:14:42 PM »
Get a starter kit for Sears or whatever.  Then provide her with the address of her local Harbor Freight emporium.  A buck goes a really long way there.  If tools are seldom used there is no need to go top of the line.  HF works just fine for an occasional use.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #64 on: May 20, 2010, 08:39:28 PM »
Gentlemen, gentlemen.  Allow me to point out the blunt and unvarnished reality to you youngsters:  They wanted new stuff.

Terry, 230RN

Yep.  She's still got that big ole Kitchenaid mixer that replaced it, now near 20 years later.  Still works like a champ.
(She does need to use it for baking a bit more often...)   :lol:

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #65 on: May 27, 2010, 05:47:06 PM »
Here's what I ended up with.  It's a mixture of mostly Craftsman, Channel Lock, Stanley, and Harbor Freight, and it came in right at $200 if I ignore the sales tax.  (I kind of blew the budget a little with the fancy Estwing hammer and that box-end wrench)

10" Channel Locks
1/2 x 9/16" long-beam box end wrench
22" plastic toolbox
Folding utility knife
10" hacksaw
12 oz claw hammer
electrical outlet tester
tie wraps, 4" and 8"
wire strippers
3/8" socket set with ratchet
22 pc Metric and SAE combination wrench set
8 pc heavy duty screwdriver set
Metric and SAE hex key sets
4 pc 3/8" drive extension set
8" needle-nose pliers
6" slip joint pliers
4 pc pick and hook set
3 1/2" nine LED flashlight
43 pc ratcheting T-handle 1/4" driver set
2" putty knife
15" wrecking bar
4 pc tiny screwdriver set
pocket reversible screwdriver
16' metal-cased tape measure
nailset punches (3)
8" torpedo level
bottle and paint can opener

Everything except the T-handle driver set (which has its own nice hard case) just barely fits in the 22" tool box.  It'll be a PITA every time she needs to get something out that's not right on top.  I told her she could take the hammer and pry bar out, then put the sockets in ziplock bags, and everything would fit better but she likes having everything in one place and in the smallest box that will hold it.
"It's good, though..."

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #66 on: July 06, 2010, 02:18:47 PM »
I kind of blew the budget a little with the fancy Estwing hammer
Money well-spent.

12 oz claw hammer

Is this it?  Those 12oz Estwings aren't commonly seen.  Usually only 16oz and up.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #67 on: July 06, 2010, 02:49:55 PM »
Don't forget the Handi-Wipes, alcohol swabs, and Band-Aids......not a bad idea for a guy's toolbox as well....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #68 on: July 06, 2010, 02:53:36 PM »
Is this it?  Those 12oz Estwings aren't commonly seen.  Usually only 16oz and up.

Sounds like their finishing hammer.  I have one and it's a dandy around-the-house general purpose hammer.  Small enough to fit in a drawer without taking up the whole gogging thing but enough weight to handle most daily bang-your-thumb-into-submission needs.  I have a 22oz framing hammer for the larger stuff and, if necessary, a 5lb sledge as a tool of last resort.

Don't forget the Handi-Wipes, alcohol swabs, and Band-Aids......not a bad idea for a guy's toolbox as well....

Pfft... girly man.  What do you think WD40, shops rags, and electrical tape are for?

Brad
-HankB

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #69 on: July 06, 2010, 10:55:51 PM »
, and Band-Aids......not a bad idea for a guy's toolbox as well....

Duct tape.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.