Author Topic: "Dirty Bastard Ale" from Founders Brewing Company  (Read 2241 times)

zxcvbob

• friend
"Dirty Bastard Ale" from Founders Brewing Company
« on: February 14, 2011, 10:58:05 AM »
This is a dangerously good beer.  It's 8.5% ABV, but it's smooth enough and balanced enough you can just pour it down in one gulp if you're not careful.  It's a Scottish style strong ale, so I was afraid it would be distractingly smoky, but it's not.  I can't really taste the smoke unless I use my imagination a little.
"It's good, though..."

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
Re: "Dirty Bastard Ale" from Founders Brewing Company
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2011, 11:06:00 AM »
Oh yeah, that's good stuff.

I had some beers with the founder of Founder's a number of years ago.  He was pretty happy that they'd gotten distribution as far as PA at the time.  It was mostly the Dirty Bastard and their dry-hopped IPA that were responsible for the increased sales he said.  The name of Dirty Bastard has a fair amount to do with it IIRC.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2011, 02:50:51 PM »
Dang.  Sounds yummy.  Unfortunately, they haven't made it to the west coast yet.......

Dirty Bastards.....   :P
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2011, 07:12:00 PM »
I wish I could still drink alcohol, cause I do love beer and ale. Unfortunately, I am stricken with "non-alcoholism".

I can take sips (one or two) but all that does is remind me of what I'm missing.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

grampster

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2011, 07:35:10 PM »
Giga and I are lucky to be living in or near a town that has some fine breweries.  Grand Rapids has a history of well brewed beer.  Fox Deluxe was a great GR craft beer 75 years ago.

Oberon Ale is a fine summer beer from Bell's in Kalamazoo.  Bell's is going to be building a brewery in Grand Rapids.  Comstock Park, actually.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

CSM Kersh

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2011, 10:15:40 AM »

I'll have to tell my youngest about this beer.  As it is, he does buy IPA beer.  He's also bought Fat Tire, Blue Moon and a number of other "craft" beers.  Me?  It's usually Dos Equis amber label, not the green, or Modello Especial or Modello Negro.  Sol's not bad either.  Yeah, I like good Mexican beers, but can't stand Carta Blanca or Bohemia.    [barf]
Sam A. Kersh
NRA Patron
csmkersh@thegunnerslair.com
My Web Page
When Seconds count the police are only minutes away.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2011, 11:30:53 AM »
I just found out yesterday that my favorite cheap malt liquor has been discontinued.  :'(  "Panther Ice Ale"
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/892/15761

It disappeared for a few years (I think the liquor stores were just ashamed to order it) and then I saw some again last fall and bought a 12-pack.  Tried to find it again yesterday and it's gone.  (looked up the brewery online; it's really gone this time)

"It's good, though..."

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2011, 11:48:22 AM »
This is a dangerously good beer.  It's 8.5% ABV, but it's smooth enough and balanced enough you can just pour it down in one gulp if you're not careful.  It's a Scottish style strong ale, so I was afraid it would be distractingly smoky, but it's not.  I can't really taste the smoke unless I use my imagination a little.

In the mid 1980s my parents spent a few years living in southeast Scotland, where they picked up some Scottish ale called "Green Mantle Ale."  When I visited them I found I liked it a lot.  
Trying to find anything like it in America has been painfully unrewarding.  The closest I've found is Killian's Red, which is pretty good and a lot better than canned beer, IMHO.  
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero