Author Topic: Steel wheels vs. alloy  (Read 4130 times)

zxcvbob

• friend
Steel wheels vs. alloy
« on: March 07, 2011, 12:40:10 PM »
Daughter (going to school in Texas) has wrecked the wheels on the right side of here car.  I don't know what she keeps running into; previously had just scraped up the hubcaps, but now the rims are bent right at the bead.  I found out when I was down there last weekend and I got her an oil change and was gonna rotate the tires.  The garage wouldn't touch the wheels.  They're not leaking air, and they still are straight and don't wobble, so when she comes home in a couple of months she needs to buy new wheels.

So I'm looking at aftermarket wheels.  I want to put OEM (ugly) steel wheels on and generic wheel covers.  I start looking at fitment guides online and get confused.  I'm pretty sure the car has 15x6.5" alloy wheels and 195/60R15 tires.  I can find 15x6" black steel wheels with the right bolt pattern and offset (and that's a good width for that size tire) but I'm wondering about clearance for the brake calipers and pads.  I can also find 16x6.5" wheels and those have a better chance of fitting, but I don't want to change tire sizes so that's out.

The little donut spare tire I bought at the junkyard has a steel wheel, and it's just a 14", and it fits OK.  (at least it fits in the back, I'm not sure I tried it on the front axle)

I'm gong to check with the dealer and see if the base model of that car (Pontiac G5; same as a Chevy Cobalt) ever came with 15" steel wheels.

Let's say that I get the 15x6" wheels and they almost fit but not quite.  Is there any problem using a spacer to move the wheels out another 3/8" or so?

I could put aftermarket alloy wheels on and avoid the (maybe) brake clearance problem, but she'll just wreck those too.  Maybe she won't if she has to pay for 'em... $85 x 4

"It's good, though..."

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Re: Steel wheels vs. alloy
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 12:51:04 PM »
How about leave the alloy wheels on the left side and put the black uglies on the right side...

Or tell your daughter to stop being an idiot and hitting curbs and make her buy two factory alloys for the right side...

Also, hit the junkyard and get some wheels...
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 12:53:12 PM »
I think I have diagnosed your problem:
Remove the cell phone & texting feature and she'll stop running into curbs.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 12:56:42 PM »
I would do that [just replace the right-side wheels] if I could get 15x6.5" steelies.  6's will change the mounted tire dimensions slightly.

So we'll probably get a set of 4 wheels, but only replace the 2 bad ones for now and put them both on the same axle.  Replace the other 2 when those tires need to be replaced (or she wrecks them too)

I wonder if she has no depth perception.  

BTW, I have told her to stop being an idiot.
"It's good, though..."

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 01:04:41 PM »
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 01:07:07 PM »
"It's good, though..."

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2011, 01:22:50 PM »
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2011, 02:11:12 PM »
Sheesh - just some white spokers... Steel weighs more, but hey... Or you could probably get black spokers, but I'd go for the white ones...

Blog under construction

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2011, 02:17:32 PM »
Craigslist.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2011, 02:17:57 PM »
Sheesh - just some white spokers... Steel weighs more, but hey... Or you could probably get black spokers, but I'd go for the white ones...

The trick is finding them.  Has to have the right bolt pattern (4x100mm) and close to the right offset.  I don't think white spoke wheels exist for it.  Yeah, I'd rather than white or silver instead of black, but I'll take what I can get.
"It's good, though..."

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2011, 02:21:35 PM »
Like I said, Craigslist.  First hit on the local site.

http://lubbock.craigslist.org/pts/2214485134.html

Looks like 4x100 is a pretty common pattern.  You should have no trouble finding wheels what with all the factory cast-offs from the boy racer wannabes upgrading to goofy ultra-low-profile tire/rim combos.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2011, 06:06:37 PM »
I think I have diagnosed your problem:
Remove the cell phone & texting feature and she'll stop running into curbs.

^^^ This.

Another vote for junkyard. As a plus, at many yards you get the wheel with a decent tire still on it. If she's trashing wheels badly enough that they need to be replaced, I wouldn't be too happy about the sidewalls of the tires ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Lee

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2011, 09:40:51 PM »
Ah, now I understand why the Nissan Dealer was trying to sell me wheel insurance when I bought my truck.  I didn't know there was such a thing...and truthfully didn't understand WHY there was such a thing.  Now I get it...maybe you should get some for her.

sanglant

• friend
foggy, but posting anyway. sorry for bad layout etc.
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2011, 11:00:51 PM »
check the prices on some nicer wheels first. you might be surprised. and it might save a small amount of fuel.

not sure if these are the right fit, but there the brand i have on my car. :laugh:

i have the 7 spoke 15x7 15x6.5 they use a plastic ring to center the wheel for mounting, but as long as you don't lose the ring they are much better then the steel things. i was running them without covers though. [tinfoil] these are 79 each, maybe having something she likes better would cause more attention to be paid to them? and is there any chance she's letting other people drive her car? there's no faster way to kill one. my rule was no one but me, under 45 drives my car. well maybe my goddaughters. :angel:

oh and the site i linked to will tell you what's stock for the car. if you have all the model info. check the right model just because the car was sold with them doesn't mean you can mount them without changing the brakes.

oh, and the wheel bearings. might be shot.

would getting the wheels repaired be an option?

the miata guys have a calculator to tell you how far off 2 sizes of wheels/tires are.

maybe driving school? or a copy of GT5? no probably not a good idea. worked for me though. well that was GT.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 08:16:36 PM by sanglant »

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2011, 03:40:34 AM »
How about leave the alloy wheels on the left side and put the black uglies on the right side...

Better yet, how about four completely different wheels and three wrong color body panels?  If she wants something better, let her buy it out of her own pocket, which also has the effect of making one more careful with things.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2011, 11:00:29 PM »