Author Topic: Suggestions for a 2.5" HDD?  (Read 1087 times)

zxcvbob

• friend
Suggestions for a 2.5" HDD?
« on: March 28, 2011, 10:29:54 PM »
I want to upgrade the HDD in my 3 year old laptop.  No particular reason, other than with a large drive I could have separate system and data partitions and both have plenty of room.  Also I can do a test run of a system restore from backup to make sure I could recover from a total disk failure.

So, WD or Seagate or Hitachi is what I want, right?  The old drive is SATA-150, and most of the new ones are SATA-300.  If I buy a 300, it'll either negotiate down to 150 if necessary, or have a "Force 150" jumper?  Maybe that ICH8M or 82801 will surprise me and support SATA-300.

And is there any reason to get a 7200 rpm drive if the only disk-intensive thing I ever do is a weekly reboot?  Is there any reason not to get a 7200?  (like maybe shorter battery life)

"It's good, though..."

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Re: Suggestions for a 2.5" HDD?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 11:10:35 PM »
There's no reason your system won't recognize and use the entire 300GB drive.  It could go a lot larger than that, actually.

eta:  I'd go for a WD.  I've had much better luck with them over the years.  And Hitachi drives, at least the ones from just a few years ago, are a royal PITA to clone.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.